• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Tour 2025

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Interesting article in the Australian, copied main parts cause of paywall

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...t/news-story/63b02683cfedef15f3443ae0347dce3f

Brisbane and Perth are set to battle it out for the last remaining British and Irish Lions Test on the 2025 tour of Australia – although it is possible both cities could emerge as winners.
In 2016, the then chief executive of the Australian Rugby Union, Bill Pulver, locked the organisation into a guaranteed Test in Sydney against the Lions in 2025 as part of a 15-year deal with the NSW Government of Mike Baird.
The following year, as the battle between the Melbourne Rebels and the Western Force to survive the cull from Super Rugby heated up, the Victorian Government came to the rescue with an eight-year $20m stadium deal which not only guaranteed the Rebels’ survival, but also locked in place a series of internationals.
The 2025 Test against the Lions in Melbourne is the last international in that eight-year series.
When the decision was made to jettison the Force in 2017, it had seemed rugby had turned its back entirely on Western Australia and become very much an east coast sport. In that event, it would have been a no-brainer to award the third Test of the 2025 Lions tour to Brisbane.
But the expectation in the west is that Rugby Australia has a debt to repay Western Australia – and what better way to say thanks than to allocate a Lions Test – and the significant financial benefits that flows with it, up to the tune of around $50m – to Perth?
That would trigger massive protests from Queensland, one of the two rugby heartland states. The Lions have staged major tours of Australia eight times since 1899 and on every occasion have played a Test in Brisbane. Besides, Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium has become the Wallabies’ fortress. They have won their past seven Tests there, including two wins over the All Blacks.
The Queensland Government’s 10-year stadium deal with Rugby Australia expires at the end of this year, with the 2025 Test very much the prize on offer when the two come together to negotiate a new contract. But that is likely to rouse the West Australians to redouble their efforts to hijack the Test.
RA chairman Hamish McLennan has done a masterly job of dangling the prospect of full stadiums in front of the Lions and South Africa in a bid to have the three-Test series relocated to these shores. The South Africans are resisting the Australian approach but with 1.5 million South Africans having tested positive out of a population of 58.5 million and a further 81 Covid deaths on Saturday, down from a daily peak of 839 a month ago – the pandemic still has the republic in its grip.
RA estimates the chances of the Lions and the Springboks ultimately opting to accept the Australian offer and coming Down Under at between 30 and 40 per cent. In the event the 2021 series was relocated to Australia, the logical decision would be to stage one Test in Perth, which has a significant community of South African and British expats. That would then free up RA to allocate the 2025 Test to Brisbane and Suncorp Stadium.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Because the Victorian Gov demanded the 2025 Lions tour as a part of the deal for them to keep the Rebels. It's crazy but apparently Melbourne is more important to Rugby Australia than Queensland. -_- This has always been the case, doesn't matter that Queensland is the dominant force in Rugby in Australia and something like 60% of the Super Rugby players in Australia have been though some part of the Queensland Pathways... Money is more important than passion.

But fuck it, cut Sydney give it to Brisbane AND Perth.

But seriously there isn't a question here, the QRU have 3 votes this is the largest consideration of votes for Rugby Australia Governance. This question is being put out there for Rugby WA to feel good about themselves like there is a chance for them to get it. However I still cannot work out why Brisbane always gets the shit end of the stick when it comes to games. We get the third of the Bled games, we get the Argentinians rather than New Zealand or South Africa. I can not wrap my head around why it's always Sydney, Melbourne, a country mile, then Brisbane. It's the Wallabies win record is fantastic in Brisbane either, most of the Wallabies come from Brisbane.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
However I still cannot work out why Brisbane always gets the shit end of the stick when it comes to games. We get the third of the Bled games, we get the Argentinians rather than New Zealand or South Africa. I can not wrap my head around why it's always Sydney, Melbourne, a country mile, then Brisbane. It's the Wallabies win record is fantastic in Brisbane either, most of the Wallabies come from Brisbane.
Agree with Sydney always getting the best games, even when they don't have a stadium available, but to say Brisbane is behind Melbourne is comical. Wallabies last meaningful test in Melbourne was the Lions tour, have not had NZ or SA in forever. Have not had a rugby championship game in the last decade that I can think of actually.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I can not wrap my head around why it's always Sydney, Melbourne, a country mile, then Brisbane. It's the Wallabies win record is fantastic in Brisbane either, most of the Wallabies come from Brisbane.

This is palpably false.

It has always been the case that Sydney then Brisbane get the majority of the premium tests. Melbourne has hosted four Bledisloe Cup tests and two B&I Lions tests ever.

The reality is this comes down to money.

Maybe you should petition the Queensland Government to bid more for major tourism events?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Debate should have been Perth vs Melbourne for the 3rd test. Not Perth vs Brisbane

Setting aside whichever pays best, it should be Sydney, Brisbane and Perth IMO.

They want Melbourne to be a thing but it's never going to be a thing. Melbournians don't even know what rugby is.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Setting aside whichever pays best, it should be Sydney, Brisbane and Perth IMO.

They want Melbourne to be a thing but it's never going to be a thing. Melbournians don't even know what rugby is.

It doesn't really matter with a Lions test. It gets sold out regardless.

I went to the Lions test in Melbourne in 2013. It was a pretty amazing atmosphere in the city.

Also went to Wallabies vs All Blacks at the MCG in 2007 with an 80k crowd. That was great too.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It doesn't really matter with a Lions test. It gets sold out regardless.

I went to the Lions test in Melbourne in 2013. It was a pretty amazing atmosphere in the city.

Also went to Wallabies vs All Blacks at the MCG in 2007 with an 80k crowd. That was great too.

It just makes more sense to me to have the biggest games in the cities with the most fans. Spose you are right though.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
The reality is this comes down to money.

Maybe you should petition the Queensland Government to bid more for major tourism events?

It came down to money because the Rebels and ARU were broke and the Victorian Government bailed them out;

A $20 million package from the Victorian government to the ARU, securing Bledisloe Cup and British and Irish Lions Test matches in Melbourne over an eight-to-10-year period, guaranteed the future of the Rebels in the SANZAAR competition.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...force-out-of-super-rugby-20170816-gxxde5.html

Has nothing to do with the Queensland tourism. But, interestingly enough. The Queensland Government helped cover the new development of Ballymore to the tune of $15m which is going to be the Wallaroo's home base with a view that the Wallabies may shift to it as well.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It came down to money because the Rebels and ARU were broke and the Victorian Government bailed them out;

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...force-out-of-super-rugby-20170816-gxxde5.html

Has nothing to do with the Queensland tourism. But, interestingly enough. The Queensland Government helped cover the new development of Ballymore to the tune of $15m which is going to be the Wallaroo's home base with a view that the Wallabies may shift to it as well.

RA has always benefited from state government payments to host events like every other sport etc. that has major events that are up for grabs.

The state tourism department is generally the one who bids for events.

I'm not sure why you're saying it has nothing to do with tourism.

Maybe the Ballymore investment could have been leveraged against RA like the $20m funding for a decade of test matches by Victoria was?

It's got nothing to do with whether RA is broke or not. They "sell" test matches to the states every year.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Me too!

But I'm not big on watching rugby at the 'G.........

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I thought it was pretty good with a massive crowd. I think being right up the top at the MCG is better than being right up the top at ANZ by virtue of the steeper stands.

That isn't saying a lot, ANZ is poo. Glad they scrapped it's refurb and pressed ahead with the new one at Moore Park.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
RA has always benefited from state government payments to host events like every other sport etc. that has major events that are up for grabs.

It's got nothing to do with whether RA is broke or not. They "sell" test matches to the states every year.

The protracted negotiations between the Victorian government and the ARU, where approximately one-quarter of the funding will pass to the Rebels, ensured the Melbourne team would always be chosen by the ARU, ahead of Perth's Western Force, as the Australian team to be retained in the SANZAAR competition.

It has nothing to do with Queensland Tourism as the ARU/VRU made a deal with the Victorian Government that the $20 million they required to keep the Rebels in Super Rugby would mean X amount of internationals are required to be played in Victorian.

Or are you trying to say, had Queensland Tourism ponied up even more cash, that the extra cash could have been re-directed to the failing Rebels so the ARU would not have had to agree to such a deal with the Victorian Government?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It has nothing to do with Queensland Tourism as the ARU/VRU made a deal with the Victorian Government that the $20 million they required to keep the Rebels in Super Rugby would mean X amount of internationals are required to be played in Victorian.

Or are you trying to say, had Queensland Tourism ponied up even more cash, that the extra cash could have been re-directed to the failing Rebels so the ARU would not have had to agree to such a deal with the Victorian Government?

No, I'm saying that in general, if Queensland wants to host some of the biggest tests then Queensland Tourism should be more aggressive bidding for them.

In this situation, RA has already sold two B&I Lions Tests for 2025 via existing deals with the NSW Govt and Victorian Govt. There's one test still up for grabs which will likely be played in either Brisbane or Perth and that decision may well be influenced by money on offer to RA.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Lang Park somehow is the best home ground for the Wallabies, in terms of results. It would be disappointing if there wasn't a Wallaby test there. I can also see a good case for Perth. The advantage Melbourne has is that its pretty easy for people from Sydney and Brisbane to get to. I know quite a few from Brisbane that flew down for the Melbourne test last time the Lions were here.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Lang Park somehow is the best home ground for the Wallabies, in terms of results. It would be disappointing if there wasn't a Wallaby test there. I can also see a good case for Perth.

Lang Park has definitely been great for the Wallabies in terms of results.

I can certainly see the case where if the WA Government offered RA several million dollars more than the Qld Government for the remaining B&I Lions Test then RA would go with Perth as the venue. You'd probably argue that they'd be crazy not to.

Selling out venues isn't an issue.