• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Tour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Blue said:
naza said:
Springboks come out of the series with little respect won. I'm puzzled by their addiction to cheapshots and off ball antics. What are they trying to accomplish ? They seem to be determined to be poor sports. They are terrible ambassadors for the sport and confirm most people's prejudice about South Africans as a people.

I needed a giggle.

I suspect the vast majority of people do not form their opinion of a country based on a sports team. What an absolutely ill informed and hysterically juvenile thing to say.
Actually to be fair Blue he is saying people get the impression elsewhere and it is confirmed by the Bokke.

Honestly, how lame were those armbands. Laughed out loud when I saw them. Sheesh talk about lame.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Scorz said:
Blue said:
naza said:
Springboks come out of the series with little respect won. I'm puzzled by their addiction to cheapshots and off ball antics. What are they trying to accomplish ? They seem to be determined to be poor sports. They are terrible ambassadors for the sport and confirm most people's prejudice about South Africans as a people.

I needed a giggle.

I suspect the vast majority of people do not form their opinion of a country based on a sports team. What an absolutely ill informed and hysterically juvenile thing to say.
Actually to be fair Blue he is saying people get the impression elsewhere and it is confirmed by the Bokke.

Well I guess they must be right. Today I eye gouged the old grannie who tried to push into the line at the grocery store, I pushed and shoved the 6 year old kid who bumped into me as I walked out and I did all this while carrying a banner that reads "Give us Saffers a fair go, we're such victims." ;)

I guess you might be referring to the fact that when you put a spade in front of a Saffer and you ask him what it is, he will tell you it's a spade?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Blue said:
I guess you might be referring to the fact that when you put a spade in front of a Saffer and you ask him what it is, he will tell you it's a spade?

And then belt you over the head with it?

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Oh how I enjoy national stereotyping.

I have to say that in my own personal experiences Saffas tend to be arrogent, rude and abrasive. However that is only a trend based on the ones I have had dealings with. As I have never been to South Africa I would never attempt to define what a South African is actually like.. This though is backed up by the Bok and some other South African sportsmen.

I will now use the historic excuse that some of my best friends are south africans and I never pre judge or discriminate against someone based on nationality. I will also point out that as a percentage of people I know Australians would be 2nd or 3rd worst in the same categories and that as a group of people the South African cricket team were light years ahead of the Australian cricket team off the field during the CWC. Just because Blue goes around bashing grannies and tormenting toddlers doesn't mean I'm going to go and tell the next black South African that he is a 2nd rate human being while singing Aussie Aussie Aussie, throwing a shrimp on the barbie and whinging to the ref about how he tackled me too hard.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
barbarian said:
Blue said:

And then belt you over the head with it?

Ah I forgot that one. Slack of me. And steals you wallet. :)

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
naza you have come up with some pretty stupid stuff on here but that is genuinely gold medal standard. In fact, its right up there with Peter De Villiers' tutu comment.

Well done Lions. Phillips is pushing FdP for the best 9 in the world for mine. He is combative.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Blue said:
Scorz said:
Blue said:
naza said:

I needed a giggle.

Well I guess they must be right. Today I eye gouged the old grannie who tried to push into the line at the grocery store, I pushed and shoved the 6 year old kid who bumped into me as I walked out and I did all this while carrying a banner that reads "Give us Saffers a fair go, we're such victims." ;)

Hmmmm...

You're a Witbank boytjie, then?

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
the gambler said:
Oh how I enjoy national stereotyping.

I have to say that in my own personal experiences Saffas tend to be arrogent, rude and abrasive. However that is only a trend based on the ones I have had dealings with. As I have never been to South Africa I would never attempt to define what a South African is actually like.. This though is backed up by the Bok and some other South African sportsmen.

I will now use the historic excuse that some of my best friends are south africans and I never pre judge or discriminate against someone based on nationality. I will also point out that as a percentage of people I know Australians would be 2nd or 3rd worst in the same categories and that as a group of people the South African cricket team were light years ahead of the Australian cricket team off the field during the CWC. Just because Blue goes around bashing grannies and tormenting toddlers doesn't mean I'm going to go and tell the next black South African that he is a 2nd rate human being while singing Aussie Aussie Aussie, throwing a shrimp on the barbie and whinging to the ref about how he tackled me too hard.

Abrasive, yes. Arrogant, not in my experience, but the same comment in an Irish accent will sound charming and twinkly-eyed when in a Saaaahhhhhhhntuhn one it'll sound appalling. Rude, no, albeit they'll chuck it back at you if you hand it out; Afrikaans, in particular, has very, very finely graduated levels of what you can say to someone and how you address them (for instance, as Oom PB will confirm, even in my limited Kitchen Dutch, I'd always refer to him as Oom, and frequently in the third person - "Die Oom weet wat ek dink oor die blerrie London Kiwis, saam met die Oom..." ;)) and I know most African languages have something similar. But subtle - outside of the Cape - they most certainly aren't. Applies across all racial boundaries, I might add.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
This is going to go off topic very quickly. Perhaps a topic should be posted on the bottom "other" part of the forum before we ruin this thread and take attention away from what was a great series of rugby.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
NTA said:
cyclopath said:
Steyn is like a child in a big man's body. All the physical prowess, kicks it a mile, but not a good team player, and often petulant when it doesn't go his way. He tries to bully his way around a bit, but in international rugby there's plenty of players as big who are tougher and it won't work.

Happens everywhere: the bloke who was the Big Kid at school level rugby. He was bigger, better, and faster than everyone else and just got his way all the time. Big fish, little pond.

naza said:
confirm most people's prejudice about South Africans as a people.

Not for me - what they DO confirm is that some idiots make it through to the top level in ANY sport, and that perhaps their domestic system is still a little rougher around the edges than others. How often do we lament a lack of forward toughness in our domestic game? Perhaps if we were more accurate with judicial decisions internationally, these players would eventually be weeded out at Test level, and that would filter back.

*snap* Blue beat me to it... in a way.
Ja pretty shite qoute but what do you expect from Naza. He sound like the Aus cricket team of the past, big mouth wind arse vokken Aussies. Typical.

S

Spook

PaarlBok said:
NTA said:
cyclopath said:
Steyn is like a child in a big man's body. All the physical prowess, kicks it a mile, but not a good team player, and often petulant when it doesn't go his way. He tries to bully his way around a bit, but in international rugby there's plenty of players as big who are tougher and it won't work.

Happens everywhere: the bloke who was the Big Kid at school level rugby. He was bigger, better, and faster than everyone else and just got his way all the time. Big fish, little pond.

naza said:

Not for me - what they DO confirm is that some idiots make it through to the top level in ANY sport, and that perhaps their domestic system is still a little rougher around the edges than others. How often do we lament a lack of forward toughness in our domestic game? Perhaps if we were more accurate with judicial decisions internationally, these players would eventually be weeded out at Test level, and that would filter back.

Ja pretty shite qoute but what do you expect from Naza. He sound like the Aus cricket team of the past, big mouth wind arse vokken Aussies. Typical.

Nice piece of generalisation PB.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Cutter said:
naza you have come up with some pretty stupid stuff on here but that is genuinely gold medal standard. In fact, its right up there with Peter De Villiers' tutu comment.

Well done Lions. Phillips is pushing FdP for the best 9 in the world for mine. He is combative.

As much as I hate to admit it, Phillips was the better of the two in the series. He does get invovled in way too much niggle. Much like Brussow he is good enough to not have to look for niggle and would be well advised to put all his energy into being even better. Amazing that he could move to centre in the third test and looked totally comfortable.

H

Hugonaut

Blue said:
As much as I hate to admit it, Phillips was the better of the two in the series. He does get invovled in way too much niggle. Much like Brussow he is good enough to not have to look for niggle and would be well advised to put all his energy into being even better. Amazing that he could move to centre in the third test and looked totally comfortable.

Phillips is a proper pain to play against alright, and gets well up opponents' noses. I had always had a healthy dislike for him, until I heard from friends that he had apologised to them – for Gavin Henson's behaviour – and bought them a round of drinks after Henson's most recent incident of public obnoxiousness in a Cardiff pub on the Sunday after one of the 6 Nations matches.

He was also the only Osprey who kept playing against Munster when they were hockeyed off the pitch in Thomond in the HEC quarterfinal, which gave me a new respect for him: not just a bully who's on the front foot when everything is going well, but somebody who competes no matter what the score is or who he's playing against. He plays with a whole heap of arrogance and attitude, but his general demeanour off the pitch has improved a lot every year, probably just a case of maturing in the public eye.

Think that du Preez is unquestionably a more rounded player with a better skillset, but Phillips' pace, aggression and physical strength are phenomenal for a scrum-half.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Not a bad discussion of national identity, in the end. Good posts Blue, Gambler, NTA. The good thing about having a class clown like naza is that it brings out the more reasonable side of everyone else.

There's only two things I can't stand in this world. Those who are intolerant of other people's cultures ... and the Dutch.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Scarfman said:
Not a bad discussion of national identity, in the end. Good posts Blue, Gambler, NTA. The good thing about having a class clown like naza is that it brings out the more reasonable side of everyone else.

There's only two things I can't stand in this world. Those who are intolerant of other people's cultures ... and the Dutch.

Ah leave them alone. They brought us cheese and peep shows. Credit where it's due :)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Scarfman said:

Thankyou Mr Powers.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Spook said:
PaarlBok said:
NTA said:
cyclopath said:

naza said:

Nice piece of generalisation PB.
Ja generalisation of Naza to what most Boers think when they see the name Aussie. His Saffers or Yarpies all are thugs or if the dirty Saafers/Yarpies wins it was the cheating ref got to me. Should have known better not to react but there you go. All spill out in a moment of madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.