• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Vs Reds. Bloem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Reddy! said:
Sorry that you are so sensitive towards your precious lion cubs, but you should check out the facts:

5th vs Last.
2nd best defence vs worst.
One of the best (proven) attacks, vs an attack that is not polished.
Known players vs no name hacks.

This is going to be the most one sided game in Super rugby history, with the Reds strolling into the top 4 with a bonus point win. This is fact, and not a possibility.

I am a Reds supporter, and when people talk this away about the Reds in the last 10 years, I get really scared. I was expecting a win with a bonus point, but currently I am very nervous about it.

Of course, I don't agree with the bolded statement either. Half of the Reds team weren't exactly "known" to those outside of Australia, and the Lions team isn't a team of hacks - there's some very handy players there.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Ja Ash he have thrown only the facts there he wanted. Fact is I am not a Welpie supporter, just try to give you lot more the SA side of it or the way I see them when my team the Stormers are up against them. The historical fact between the two sides tells another story and trust me he'll jump ship when the lions beat his precious Reds side. Old Biff is like a brakkie (small dog) keffing all over the place.

Real Red supporters like yourself well good luck to you lot, its a important game for you lot, the Lions have absolutely nothing to loose, only some pride for the players and their supporters. Those Pap (porridge) Eaters are fed up losing and the brave lot attending , well they dont even know if their cars will be stolen after the match , mind you many of them will just to please to donate their cars , just for their side to taste victory for a change.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Ash said:
Reddy! said:
Sorry that you are so sensitive towards your precious lion cubs, but you should check out the facts:

5th vs Last.

This is going to be the most one sided game in Super rugby history, with the Reds strolling into the top 4 with a bonus point win. This is fact, and not a possibility.

I am a Reds supporter, and when people talk this away about the Reds in the last 10 years, I get really scared. I was expecting a win with a bonus point, but currently I am very nervous about it.

Of course, I don't agree with the bolded statement either. Half of the Reds team weren't exactly "known" to those outside of Australia, and the Lions team isn't a team of hacks - there's some very handy players there.

x 2 Ash. I feel the same.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Paarl

I would much like to hear your thoughts on why the lions havn't been so successful. How does it relate to how rugby works in SA. Are they they the poor cousin of other teams and have trouble keeping players?

cheers

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Ruggo said:
Ash said:
Reddy! said:

5th vs Last.

Be careful about unknowns. PB hasn't heard of Zac Guildford.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Ruggo said:
Paarl

I would much like to hear your thoughts on why the lions havn't been so successful. How does it relate to how rugby works in SA. Are they they the poor cousin of other teams and have trouble keeping players?

cheers
Myself think the Lions struggles because the appoint Dick Muir and also have replace their top admin lot. Dick is a very good coach but he havent had much time to work with them before the S14 started. He havent picked a settled side before round 1 , then losing, tried others and still try to find his best 15.

Playerwise they lost their experiense core (Petoors Force, Alberts & Luddick Sharks & Mossie Stormers) but they have a great pool now. They have three provincial sides playing in the Premium CC (Golden Lions (RooiBontes or Tvl), Pumas (SE Tvl) & Leapards (MielieBoere or Western Tvl).

Muir a known coach that dont mind putting young players to the big time (the 19 year old winger) have find Puma players like Coetzee (9) and the hooker Enslin.

On the minus side he played now Earl Rose for no ends (probably because Snor like Earl) and I struggle to understand why he dont give young Burton Francis a decent change to settle in 10.

Just for the record they have quite a talent youngster in their Vodacom side, Jaco Taute. The kid was still in school last year and will play in the SA U20 side. That bring me to their other problem. They dont use Pukke (University at Potch) resources and dont have their own academy.

So many reason really but if they can settle down (one win away from that) there is absolute no reason to get a good team going. They need some work on their structures. They have contracted a pretty good U19 group (the young kid that was on his way to Aus league included) this year and their U21s played in the CC final last year.

Kevin de Klerk and old Tvl & Bok workhorse lock look like doing some good things going in their camp.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Ruggo said:
Ash said:
Reddy! said:

5th vs Last.

CRY CRY CRY suck it up...

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Am I right in thinking the Reds have to play in SA on Sunday and then travel back to Brisbane to play next Saturday against a Bulls team who will have had a long weekend after playing on a Friday? Who arranged that? Am I also right in thinking that the Bulls have had SA refs in all bar one game so far?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
JJJ try to find excuses more then a week before the Bulls game?

The Brutes had a SA ref last week and lost, so whats your point?

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
PaarlBok said:
JJJ try to find excuses more then a week before the Bulls game?

The Brutes had a SA ref last week and lost, so whats your point?

If the Brutes fail to get a home final they get rest easy in the knowledge that everything which could possibly have been done to get them there was done. No stone was left unturned. I doubt you could envisage a more helpful draw for them if you tried. Ditto the Stormers. Better this year than next year with the WC around the corner, I guess.

It's a harsh job the Reds have though. They need to travel back east with a shortened recover time to play the top team who will have had a longer recovery time. If the Reds do pull it off it'll be a bloody heroic effort.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Its a bit scary to think the Brutes still have Bakkies Botha to get back to the action. You call it a heroic effort to beat them, always is with the mindset they are in. The Chiefs game was the real tester for them after losing against the Blues and they made it a historical first win against the Chiefs in NZ and with Morne Steyn out of song. Will be difficult to stop them from here.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
JJJ said:
Am I right in thinking the Reds have to play in SA on Sunday and then travel back to Brisbane to play next Saturday against a Bulls team who will have had a long weekend after playing on a Friday? Who arranged that? Am I also right in thinking that the Bulls have had SA refs in all bar one game so far?

Careful. Only teams from RSA have scheduling or travel problems or unfavourable referees.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Biffo said:
JJJ said:

Careful. Only teams from RSA have scheduling or travel problems or unfavourable referees.
Weird keffing one again. :nta:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yep was just about to post that.

That might bring the field in a little.

Although I maintain that the Reds still looked most dangerous against the blues (in the rain) when they played their normal game (last 30 mins or so) and ran the ball.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Noddy said:
yep was just about to post that.

That might bring the field in a little.

Although I maintain that the Reds still looked most dangerous against the blues (in the rain) when they played their normal game (last 30 mins or so) and ran the ball.

Reds were brilliant in the wet against the Blues last year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah last year, but that was on the back of an awesome kicking display by Berrick.

I meant earlier this year at Ballymore.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Noddy said:
yeah last year, but that was on the back of an awesome kicking display by Berrick.

I meant earlier this year at Ballymore.

I know. Just reminding you that this year's wasn't a flash in the pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.