• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
As a Lions fan let me be the first to apologies in advance for whatever deplorable act Dylan Hartley commits on the tour. He may be wearing red this summer but he doesn't represent us fans and the majority of us will be just as disgusted as you guys.

Hartley may actually behave himself on the tour and it might be another Lion who does something unforgivable. But he's the only one for whom the press won't use the phrase "out of character" when reporting any such incident.

Anyway let's hope that the main talk is about an amazing series of rugby from both sides.
Mike Philips can have his moments

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
What are the key points about the Lions squad announcement that the Fleet Street press are frothing at the mouth over?

Robshaw missing?
Too many Welsh?

I think there is also a concern that Graham Rowntree has picked too many of his mates from the England set up. The weakest front row from the 6 nations has had 5 of them picked, doesn't add up really.

I don't think there is a concern over too many Welsh, just that they've picked the wrong captain and could potentially be handicapping the test XV in the process.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Going to call in now,

Murray and Sexton will be the 9 - 10 combo.

Murray is in better form than Phillips and having two players are use to playing together will be the other reason.

Tour matches will be interesting to see what options they actually test out.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Going to call in now,

Murray is in better form than Phillips and having two players are use to playing together will be the other reason.

I would agree if the coaches weren't Gatland and Howley. They are massive Phillips fans and have picked him for Wales despite some brutal form recently. Like St Sam he is being picked off the back of 1 performance against England, can't think of many other good showings from him this year.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Going to call in now,

Dont underestimate the cementhead factor. Mike Philips is a particular favourite. I prefer Wales when Brynmor's boy comes on in second half. Less box kicks and better distribution. But I am no expert when it comes to Gatlandball

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
They wouldn't be happy unless the side was 15 orcs

15 Phil Waugh's would make quite the team

p_waugh.gif

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't get the love for Phillips at all, he's not suited down here, he's never played well against Australia and that's quite a few games. Will Genia owns him. Ben Youngs has just about always played well against Australia and had a fantastic game in Sydney 2010. He's quick and can match Genia for speed but not talent obviously. If Gatland says they're going to play an open game than he's your man, not Phillips.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
What are the key points about the Lions squad announcement that the Fleet Street press are frothing at the mouth over?

Robshaw missing?
Too many Welsh?

They seem to be most perplexed by the decision to leave Best out. He was certainly considered the starting 2 by most beyond the wall. I really don't get that one. The others are all neither here nor there.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
They seem to be most perplexed by the decision to leave Best out. He was certainly considered the starting 2 by most beyond the wall. I really don't get that one. The others are all neither here nor there.

Word in the Irish corner is that Best and Gatland came to blows at the post match function of the Ireland Wales game in the 6 nations in 2008. This was preceded by Best making some comments in the press and Gatland baiting him about these pre match during the warm up. Best was apparently very worried when Gatland was announced as coach, and rightly so as it turned out.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
A little sensitive already? At least wait for the games to start.
I want the lions to lose. EDIT Actually I want both sides to lose which is obviously impossible. The best I can hope for is that no Irish lads get too badly injured and that the tour is such a complete and utter shambles, with all sorts of public relations disasters, so that the decision is made that the thing should be stopped. So far, thanks to Fatland's fantastic squad, it is going very well as far as I am concerned!!!!

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Word in the Irish corner is that Best and Gatland came to blows at the post match function of the Ireland Wales game in the 6 nations in 2008. This was preceded by Best making some comments in the press and Gatland baiting him about these pre match during the warm up. Best was apparently very worried when Gatland was announced as coach, and rightly so as it turned out.

Never liked Gatland because of his perpetual whinging and moral victory claims after losing matches. Could imagine something like that from him.

That he would rather pick a card magnet with consistent disciplinary issues over Best tells a story then.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I want the lions to lose. EDIT Actually I want both sides to lose which is obviously impossible. The best I can hope for is that no Irish lads get too badly injured and that the tour is such a complete and utter shambles, with all sorts of public relations disasters, so that the decision is made that the thing should be stopped. So far, thanks to Fatland's fantastic squad, it is going very well as far as I am concerned!!!!

Are you pissed because you wanted more Irishers? If so who other than Best? Surely you can't condemn a whole squad because of one selection?

PS I think Zebo should have got the gig ahead of Maitland but maybe Fatland dislikes Zebo because he plays with his socks down? Other than that can't think of any Irishers that had a legit claim.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Are you pissed because you wanted more Irishers? If so who other than Best? Surely you can't condemn a whole squad because of one selection?

PS I think Zebo should have got the gig ahead of Maitland but maybe Fatland dislikes Zebo because he plays with his socks down? Other than that can't think of any Irishers that had a legit claim.

Have a look through The plastic paddy's posting history in this thread, the 6Ns and HEC ones. He's completely against the modern version of the Lions as he feels that it's too commercial and a money making exercise for Rupert Murdoch. From his previous posts he would like to see no Irish players involved with the Lions as it means key Irish players have another season with no proper rest time and the possibility of injury.

The reason he wants them to lose is so that eventually the Lions as a concept will lose it's appeal and will be abandoned.

Personally I can't see that happening and I'm a big fan of the Lions. I don't think there's a problem with the balance of the squad as I think Wales deserve to have the bulk of the players.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)

On the contrary I think there are 8 too many Irish players in the squad, I would rather there were just one, BOD. He is the only Irish selection who will not have a chance of being available for the next RWC. I am really pissed off that Paul O'Connell, in particular, is going because he is after missing nearly all of last season and the last thing he needs is the most brutal tour in rugby. Murray is fragile enough and has had a long season so I would rather he had a nice little tour of North America to be going on. I do not understand why the Irish players are so obsessed with going on Lions tours, if they were pulling up trees winning grand slams year after year for Ireland fair enough. Apart from the Irish selections, I think Fatland has played an absolute blinder by picking such a terrible squad and bringing his personal prejudice into selection as he has done with Rory Best. He has pissed off everyone outside of Wales, especially the English and he has picked a NH squad in which only two props can scrummage(Healy and Jones), great effort!!

FingalRaven

Frank Nicholson (4)
Any one know who is playing for the Barbarians in Hong Kong? They could arrive in Australia with a loss to there name already if France, NZ, SA and the Puma's allow there players participate in this game.

So far invited to play for the Barbarians for the Tests against England and the Lions.

1. Sergio Parisse, Italy, No. 8
  2. Martin Castrogiovanni, Italy, TH Prop
  3. Leonardo Ghiraldini, Italy, Hooker
  4. Imanol Harinordoquy, France, No.8
  5. Jacque Fourie, South Africa, Centre
  6. Mike Tindall, England, Centre
  7. Nicky Evans, New Zealand, FH
  8. Kahn Fotuali'i, Samoa, SH
  9. Rowan Varty, Hong Kong, Winger(1st ever Hong Kong player invited by BaBas)

FingalRaven

Frank Nicholson (4)
On the contrary I think there are 8 too many Irish players in the squad, I would rather there were just one, BOD. He is the only Irish selection who will not have a chance of being available for the next RWC. I am really pissed off that Paul O'Connell, in particular, is going because he is after missing nearly all of last season and the last thing he needs is the most brutal tour in rugby. Murray is fragile enough and has had a long season so I would rather he had a nice little tour of North America to be going on. I do not understand why the Irish players are so obsessed with going on Lions tours, if they were pulling up trees winning grand slams year after year for Ireland fair enough. Apart from the Irish selections, I think Fatland has played an absolute blinder by picking such a terrible squad and bringing his personal prejudice into selection as he has done with Rory Best. He has pissed off everyone outside of Wales, especially the English and he has picked a NH squad in which only two props can scrummage(Healy and Jones), great effort!!

I don't get Murray as fragile, has he had more injuries than other Irish scrum halves? If you were talking about "Sicknote" Earls I would agree but I can't say I noticed Murray injured more than other Irish players in that position this season.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
I don't get the love for Phillips at all, he's not suited down here, he's never played well against Australia and that's quite a few games. Will Genia owns him. Ben Youngs has just about always played well against Australia and had a fantastic game in Sydney 2010. He's quick and can match Genia for speed but not talent obviously. If Gatland says they're going to play an open game than he's your man, not Phillips.
But still
phillips_zps197d7b15.gif

Wales first try came from attacking that same region as above there in the 2nd test. 2nd Try cam from a mistake behind the ruck as well

Status
Not open for further replies.