• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lote continues to show his class

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The guy isn't bad mouthing anyone, doing great for the Tigers and still complimentary to his old team-mates

Nothing personal says Lote

* By Iain Payten in Durban
* May 18, 2010 12:00AM

HE'S more Tiger than Tah these days, but Lote Tuqiri has lost no desire to see his former NSW rugby teammates win a maiden title and believes they're on track as the in-form team in the 2010 finals.

And the dual international says the winger who replaced him at the Waratahs, Drew Mitchell, could be the secret weapon to help the Tahs achieve their elusive dream.

Tuqiri played seven seasons with NSW and featured in two losing finals, in 2005 and 2008.

His controversial sacking by the ARU last year ended his time in Australian rugby but even after returning brilliantly to league with Wests Tigers, Tuqiri continues to follow the Super 14 closely.

After watching NSW hit top form over the past two weeks to earn a finals berth, Tuqiri said all of the signs look good for the Waratahs heading into their semi-final against the Stormers.

"I reckon they're a massive chance. You talk about momentum going into finals, and looking at most of the teams, the Tahs have got the most momentum going in," Tuqiri said.

"They'd have some confidence too, I'm guessing after two good wins. Firstly against the Chiefs after bouncing back after the Highlanders loss, and then beating the Canes, those two are top quality teams.

"Wherever they play, they'll be very hard to beat."

The Stormers along with the two other finals sides the Bulls and Crusaders beat the Waratahs earlier in the year but Tuqiri likes what he knows of the Tahs' attitude. He stays in touch with several mates.

"It's all positive right now and I believe they can ride that all the way to the final match," Tuqiri said.

The last season of the "Dark Shark" at the Waratahs was crippled by a stagnant attack but just a year later, the side posted a record 385 points and 45 tries in the regular season. A big reason for the turnaround, believes Tuqiri, is the impact of Mitchell's arrival on both the try tally sheet and re-invented fullback Kurtley Beale.

"The relationship has got quite tight between those two, and having Drew there has probably helped KB (Kurtley Beale) find his feet more easily and find his voice in the back three," Tuqiri said.

"The last couple of years KB (Kurtley Beale) didn't know where to play but 15 is his position. He has more experience now, and is playing with heaps of confidence at fullback. But with all that confidence, he could honestly play anywhere on the park and he would flourish."

The signing of Berrick Barnes to settle the NSW playmaking merry-go-round has also been a major factor on Beale's growth, says Tuqiri.

"I'm just really glad to see he's having a good year. There's been a lot of pressure on him in the last couple of years but I think Berrick has come and taken pressure off him by running the show," Tuqiri said.

Far from talking down his replacement, Tuqiri praises Mitchell's season as "unbelievable". "Drew is unstoppable at the moment, everything he touches turn to gold. He's playing with such confidence and form, he's tough to stop. I have always had a big wrap on Drew," Tuqiri said.

"Again, great to see him doing well and you have to give a wrap to the forwards as well.

"Seeing a guy like Kane Douglas take his chance and step up, it fills you with encouragement they can do something this year."

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yeah Lote never bad mouthed anybody when he left the Tahs or Leicester. Nor did he bad mouth the game itself.

Actually most of the league guys who went back have been fairly decent though I could have forgotten some. The worst I remember are the recent comments attributed to Gasnier though whether he said them for public consumption, or said them at all, is moot.

Lote was a good team man at the Tahs by all accounts though he did have that blemish when he pushed SNK for making a bonehead play, and Sailor was a special team man wherever he was.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well done to Lote, it can't be easy given the league dominated press throw questions which are deisgned to create the "union is boring" headlines.

As a side note, I can't help but wonder how the tahs would have gone this year if Lote had still been around. My guess is that we would have scored less tries, as one of turner, beale or Mitchell would have been relegated to the bench. Conversely our outside defence would have been better and we might have covered for the loss of Palu's gain line running a little better. Probably about even overall.

Rogers has been pretty negative towards rugby since his return, but he was pretty negative towards league when he first came over all those years ago.

Sagerian

Allen Oxlade (6)
mark_s said:
Rogers has been pretty negative towards rugby since his return, but he was pretty negative towards league when he first came over all those years ago.

Well he would know. Rogers spent more time watching Union than most of us did during that time.

T

TOCC

Rogers is known to make a snide remark or two directed at Rugby on his twitter account every now and then

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I hope he gets selected for Origin today.

Edit: Just realised he didn't, bugger. Instead an average player like Darius Boyd gets selected. I find it funny that league selectors refuse to select former union, Wallaby players.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
If Lee has been watching his beloved Dragons, not too sure if he'd agree that Boyd is only average...

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Ash said:
If Lee has been watching his beloved Dragons, not too sure if he'd agree that Boyd is only average...

Boyd is a freak, nowhere near average.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I honestly believe that Lote made so many friends in rugby and loved it so. Unfortunate circumstances occured which, if they didn't he would still be around, and i don't think just for the money. He's a great player, and although ive never talked with him, comes across as a great man and a probable leader.

on the other hand, you have timana tahu, wendell sailor and matt rogers, who never had it in them to establish themselves, not only within the rugby game, but the rugby culture, which by all means is one of the greatest things about rugby, and so they bad mouth it all the time. These guys, although they may be great at football, and might have been considered good people in other circumstances, i do not think are true leaders or gentlemen.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Biffo said:
What's Timana Tahu doing on the night of SOO I?

I don't think it would surprise anyone if he was getting physio treatment.

NSW centre Timana Tahu will undergo intensive physio in the next two days in an attempt to prove his fitness for the opening State of Origin game.
Tahu, who has been selected for his first Origin game since 2006, has an ankle injury and will need to convince Blues coach Craig Bellamy he will be right to play at ANZ Stadium on May 26.

The dual international picked up the injury in the NSW City-Country match 10 days ago and aggravated it in Monday night's win by Parramatta over Manly.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Reddy! said:
I find it funny that league selectors refuse to select former union, Wallaby players.

Doesn't the selection of Timana Tahu for SOO 1 this year refute your assertion?

Noddy: STFU :)

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
RugbyFuture said:
on the other hand, you have timana tahu, wendell sailor and matt rogers, who never had it in them to establish themselves, not only within the rugby game, but the rugby culture,

Can you clarify that for me?

I would've thought most would've considered them relatively successful, at least on the surface, seeing as both made the Wallabies.

And for that matter, Sailor may have played rugby until his retirement if not for his cocaine suspension. And on the topic of Sailor, he was always reported as loved by his team mates. One of the types that people like to be around apparently.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
To clarify - I'm not defending the league converts, just trying to stop a bit of a history rewrite which appears to be happening.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Ash said:
RugbyFuture said:
on the other hand, you have timana tahu, wendell sailor and matt rogers, who never had it in them to establish themselves, not only within the rugby game, but the rugby culture,

Can you clarify that for me?

I would've thought most would've considered them relatively successful, at least on the surface, seeing as both made the Wallabies.

And for that matter, Sailor may have played rugby until his retirement if not for his cocaine suspension. And on the topic of Sailor, he was always reported as loved by his team mates. One of the types that people like to be around apparently.

I think sailor says what his employer wants, if Rugby was on Ch9 then he might be a great spokesman

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Reddy! said:
I find it funny that league selectors refuse to select former union, Wallaby players.

Dally Messenger, Rex Mossop, Aurthur Summons, Dick Thornett, Steve Knight, Ray Price, Michael O'Connor....some of the best ever league players were ex Wallabies. The difference is that these days the best rugby players stay in rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.