• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Maitland for Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Crusader winger Maitland joins Glasgow

Date
October 24, 2012 - 11:13AM
art_sean_maitland-620x349.jpg
Prolific tryscorer ... Sean Maitland of the Crusaders. Photo: Getty Images
WELLINGTON: Crusaders winger Sean Maitland has farewelled a promising New Zealand rugby career to sign with Scottish club Glasgow Warriors.
The 24-year-old former New Zealand age group standout and 2010 New Zealand Maori representative has signed a contract, subject to a medical and visa clearance, starting next month to keep him at the club until 2015.
The move could have international implications, with Maitland qualified to represent Scotland through his Glasgow-born paternal grandparents and he has never represented the All Blacks.
He came closest to national honours last year following a bright attacking Super Rugby season with the Crusaders. His highlights were a memorable two-try performance against the Sharks in their match at Twickenham and a competition record-equalling haul of four against the Brumbies.
Advertisement
Maitland has scored 24 tries in 54 Super Rugby games since his 2008 debut but this year's campaign was ruined by injury and subsequent mixed form.
Glasgow coach Gregor Townsend said securing Maitland's signature was a coup for the club.
"The back three is an area of the team where we already have a number of excellent options, and Sean will provide a further layer of quality as we enter another busy phase of the season," Townsend told the club's website.
Tokoroa-born Maitland is a cousin of Australian international Quade Cooper.
Maitland is the second high-profile addition to the Warriors ranks from Super Rugby in as many months following the signing South African Josh Strauss, the former Lions captain and No.8.
AAP

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...ins-glasgow-20121024-284ki.html#ixzz2ABxsM8pl

Between him and Tim Visser Scotland's back 3 is looking mighty impressive.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
If Scotland manage to get Mitchell from the Rebels too (who's not Wallaby standard at this stage but would be valuable to Scotland) and perhaps McKibbon (though they actually have reasonable 9s) they'd be looking A-okay. Not that I want them to, but it's always an interesting conversation topic.

Stewart Hogg and Duncan Weir coming through really look the goods.

D

daz

Do you think Steve Hansen will now immediately come out and slam the Scottish Rugby Union for poaching NZ talent and bag them for not developing their own players?

Come on Steve, your hyperbole deserves an airing in the northern hemisphere! No boundaries, mate.

:D

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
For Steve Hansen to have some consistency he should immediately come out and slam the Scottish Rugby Union for poaching NZ talent and bag them for not developing their own players.

Scotland would have to draw/win with the ABs first.

D

daz

If Scotland manage to get Mitchell from the Rebels too (who's not Wallaby standard at this stage but would be valuable to Scotland) and perhaps McKibbon (though they actually have reasonable 9s) they'd be looking A-okay. Not that I want them to, but it's always an interesting conversation topic.

Too late for Australia, that horse has bolted. We are already Scotland's bitches.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Scotland with a back 3 of Visser, Hogg and Maitland is tantalising indeed.
Does Maitland start with Glasgow right away because they are looking very good in the Heineken Cup thus far.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Scotland with a back 3 of Visser, Hogg and Maitland is tantalising indeed.
Does Maitland start with Glasgow right away because they are looking very good in the Heineken Cup thus far.

They're 0/2. That is up against Ulster and Northampton but they won't progress.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
They're 0/2. That is up against Ulster and Northampton but they won't progress.
Yet to watch the Ulster match but Glasgow were playing well against Northamption until they lost, lol.
Looking better than Edinburgh if that makes you happy.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's true 0-78 I think they are in the last 2 games.. Amazing that they were semi finalists last year.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Not very good in the provincial comps but have the wood over us in test matches. Sense, it makes none ;)

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
That's great for Scotland. He is a fantastic player who can cut teams open from the back. He'll walk into the spring tour surely.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Do you think Steve Hansen will now immediately come out and slam the Scottish Rugby Union for poaching NZ talent and bag them for not developing their own players?

Come on Steve, your hyperbole deserves an airing in the northern hemisphere! No boundaries, mate.

:D

Probably not, since Scotland don't play in the Super 15 and have franchises they are struggling to fill with home grown players.
;)

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I thought Maitland was the most under rated NZ back last year. Fruean and Ranger were unlucky to not get a look in, but Maitland is better than both of them.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Anyone think he could being playing in the Scottish colours by the Spring tour?

There's a pretty good chance of him making the Scotland squad for the 6Ns. During the upcoming test window he'll be playing for Glasgow in the Pro12. Glasgow's next Heineken Cup game is on December 7th and he'll probably be a confirmed starter by then.

Glasgow are effectively out of the competition since they lost their first 2 pool games. It's still mathematically possible for them to qualify that that would require 4 bonus point wins on the trot and other results to go their way also. So there's even more incentive for Glasgow to look to the future and keep him in the HEC team.

The Scotland squad for their November tests has already been named but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that injuries during the first 2 tests could see him get a call up for the Tonga test. Scotland only have 2 domestic Pro12 teams to pick from since the Borders folded and their pool of players is one of the smallest of the Tier 1 nations.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
The squad they announced is specifically for the ABs test, Andy Robinson has said they will be revising the selection after that test.

Following the New Zealand game Andy Robinson, senior assistant coach Scott Johnson and defence coach Matt Taylor will consider afresh the squad for the two subsequent EMC Tests - against South Africa at Murrayfield on Saturday 17th November and v Tonga at Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen on Saturday 24th November.

http://www.rugbyunplugged.com/rugbynews.html#top

So I would say they could bring him in if they wanted to :)

T

tranquility

I rate Maitland really highly, I think he would be a Wallaby pretty consistently if he was Australian. I hope this all happens, it will be great for the Scots to have some extra firepower.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I thought Maitland was the most under rated NZ back last year. Fruean and Ranger were unlucky to not get a look in, but Maitland is better than both of them.
I have a feeling that with SBW disappeared Fruean may be recognized for the talent he is.
My impression is that Ranger is viewed as a little (maybe more?) unreliable. Things like this don't help: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/7490952/Rugby-star-Rene-Ranger-not-guilty-of-assault
How has his NPC gone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.