• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Maitland for Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mojoman

A pity Maitland didn't hang around but like Harris can understand his reasons. When not injured and in-form, Maitland is a pretty good Super player. Guess we'll see how he translates to Test rugby for Scotland.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I'd just be concerned about the possibility of all our teams ending up in the second tier before long.

That could be a concern. However, I think it's one we wouldn't have to worry too much about in the short to medium term. In time, as the standard's of the 2nd tier improved, there's no reason while the conference system couldn't be used to elevate the entire tier into Super Rugby proper.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I can envision a really wide reaching Pro 12 Competition with a 2nd Div of smaller countries and provinces, it's a decent idea. I can't see promotion and relegation happening in this tournament or in Super Rugby though, even if there is a 2nd Div. It's just not in the culture of the league and the teams will want to protect their commercial interests.

As for Georgia and Romania, the ran Scotland very close in the WC (they lost by 9 and 10 points). Considering Scotland fields 2 teams it's perfectly reasonable to say on player talent alone they could field one each within around 2 years, the only question in financial viability and fanbase size. This is without getting very ambitious and having a 2nd Division.

Status
Not open for further replies.