• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

McCaw finds a new way to cheat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
OK, Richie's not the only one, but he's in the vanguard.

Instead of clearing out by pushing players back, he's clearing out by pulling them from the opposition side. Apart from the fact that it's offside as soon as the ruck is formed, I reckon this kind of grapple move is dangerous. I hope the refs find a way of identifying this and getting it out of the game ASAP.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Well.

Nice to see you are focused on the rugby instead of your hero McCaw.

I fully expect the YouTube video soon.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
1, 2, 3, 4 . . . ;)

OK, apart from winding up the less bright Kiwi supporters, I'm making a serious point about this kind of tackle. It's illegal (offside) and dangerous.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Richie McCaw is the only rugby player in the world who does this. Ever.

Pretty sure I saw him rigging up an a-bomb at one point also. Use of WMD's in a Rugby match - only Ritchie.

On a serious note I have noticed at club rugby when I go thru to clean out, sometimes much smaller built players will hit the shoulder but will fly through over the top & end up holding me at the waist (thus their legs end up on my teams side) they hang on & try to pull me back. I was under the impression that this was legal as they entered originally from the gate?

Tordah

Dave Cowper (27)
On a serious note I have noticed at club rugby when I go thru to clean out, sometimes much smaller built players will hit the shoulder but will fly through over the top & end up holding me at the waist (thus their legs end up on my teams side) they hang on & try to pull me back. I was under the impression that this was legal as they entered originally from the gate?

If they are bound to the ruck (and you're part of the ruck) the entire time, it should be legal. However, how the referee defines that is a different thing... is what I think!?

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Pretty sure I saw him rigging up an a-bomb at one point also. Use of WMD's in a Rugby match - only Ritchie.

Provided you come in from the gate you are allowed to clear people out in any direction, although generally this will be either straight through or to the side.

Pulling someone back into a breakdown would probably fall foul of law 16.3 (c) for a ruck and is probably dangerous play regardless. I gather this is what Scarfman was implying (if he was doing any more than trolling) rather than the situation you give.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
If they are bound to the ruck (and you're part of the ruck) the entire time, it should be legal. However, how the referee defines that is a different thing. is what I think!?

Yep, that's my understanding, as long as you hang on & don't disengage it should be fine.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I'm willing to be corrected about this, although I still think it's dangerous. At the extreme, a couple fo Saffers have tried to twist off David Pocock's head. I'll have a look at it again and yes, maybe I'll post a video. :)

M

Muttonbird

I'm willing to be corrected about this, although I still think it's dangerous. At the extreme, a couple fo Saffers have tried to twist off David Pocock's head. I'll have a look at it again and yes, maybe I'll post a video. :)
Can't wait.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)

Just so we are on the same page, is this the action that you are referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=U...eature=player_detailpage&v=KYzMnnR3MpM#t=119s

If so, I agree that it should be outlawed, but it is in widespread use, and even seems to be a technique being taught.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Excellent research Dam0. The way George Smith did it, it looked fine. That Lion, though, was around the neck. Dangerous.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
1, 2, 3, 4 . . . ;)

OK, apart from winding up the less bright Kiwi supporters, I'm making a serious point about this kind of tackle. It's illegal (offside) and dangerous.
Trying to pretend you were just winding us up when you realise it wasn't a very bright post huh scarfie, sorry I don't fall for that trick,otherwise I wouldn't be very bright:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.