• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Games been announced on the 14th

IMG_7331.jpeg

Tazzmania

Tom Lawton (22)
Luke Callan, the "ex" - Force lock, and
The Force have the following players at lock:
Felix Kalapu, Izack Rodda, Jeremy Williams, Lopeti Faifua, Jackson Pugh.

Academy:
Conor Seve, and Jye Legg

Being looked at in current Cheetahs spring series:
Reagan Leslie, Josh Tompson

Looks like Luke believes that he may have a better opportunity elsewhere.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
How many assistant coaches do we have?

Rebels Confirm Rob Taylor as Club’s new Assistant Coach and Elite Pathways Manager

The Melbourne Rebels are thrilled to unveil Rob Taylor as the Club’s new Assistant Coach and Elite Pathways Manager for the upcoming 2024 Harvey Norman Super Rugby Pacific season.

Taylor has penned a multi-year deal and will remain at the Melbourne Rebels until at least the end of the 2025 season.

A student of the game with a meticulous work ethic and fierce drive, Taylor arrives in Melbourne carrying a wealth of international coaching experience having achieved success in Australia, New Zealand, England and Japan.

Taylor began his coaching career at home in Auckland, before joining the prestigious Sydney University Football Club in 2016, where he experienced immediate success, winning four premierships in four years, including back-to-back Shute Shield premierships, while also coaching current Melbourne Rebels Captain, Brad Wilkin and Wallaby Josh Kemeny.

After leading Sydney University Football Club to the Australian National Club Championship in 2020, Taylor coached NSW Country Eagles in the NRC, before joining England’s most successful rugby team, Leicester Tigers, as an Assistant Coach later that same year.

In 2021, Taylor embarked on a new challenge, journeying to the land of the rising sun, where the New Zealander led the Green Rockets Tokatsu for two seasons, working with a number of world class Top League and Super Rugby players.

With a long history of maximising player development and an exciting next generation of Melbourne Rebels coming through the ranks, Taylor said he couldn’t wait to hit the ground running at his new rugby home.

“When I watched the Rebels play last season, I saw a team playing for each other and one that wasn't afraid to express themselves, which is the type of team and footy I want to be a part of,” said Taylor.

“I love being part of a team that is always striving for more, so I will be bringing plenty of energy, a strong work ethic and attention to detail for anything the team or players need from me. I can’t wait to get started.”

Melbourne Rebels GM of Rugby, Nick Stiles, said the Rebels were thrilled to welcome Taylor and were excited for the impact he’ll make on the Rebels next generation of stars.

“Rob’s signing is a strategic recruitment for the Rebels as we look to evolve our playing style and maximise the development of the next generation of Melbourne Rebels and Australian representatives,” said Stiles.

“We’re so excited to have someone of Rob’s calibre join our Club. Rob arrives at the Rebels possessing strong international experience across four countries, where he’s achieved great team success and fast-tracked elite player development.

“As we look to evolve our game model, Rob will be driving our kicking strategy alongside Tim Sampson, while also developing our elite pathways and EDS contracted players and helping identify the next wave of homegrown Melbourne Rebels and Wallabies to proudly represent our state and country.”

HooperPocockSmith

Bill Watson (15)
How many assistant coaches do we have?

Rebels Confirm Rob Taylor as Club’s new Assistant Coach and Elite Pathways Manager

The Melbourne Rebels are thrilled to unveil Rob Taylor as the Club’s new Assistant Coach and Elite Pathways Manager for the upcoming 2024 Harvey Norman Super Rugby Pacific season.

Taylor has penned a multi-year deal and will remain at the Melbourne Rebels until at least the end of the 2025 season.

A student of the game with a meticulous work ethic and fierce drive, Taylor arrives in Melbourne carrying a wealth of international coaching experience having achieved success in Australia, New Zealand, England and Japan.

Taylor began his coaching career at home in Auckland, before joining the prestigious Sydney University Football Club in 2016, where he experienced immediate success, winning four premierships in four years, including back-to-back Shute Shield premierships, while also coaching current Melbourne Rebels Captain, Brad Wilkin and Wallaby Josh Kemeny.

After leading Sydney University Football Club to the Australian National Club Championship in 2020, Taylor coached NSW Country Eagles in the NRC, before joining England’s most successful rugby team, Leicester Tigers, as an Assistant Coach later that same year.

In 2021, Taylor embarked on a new challenge, journeying to the land of the rising sun, where the New Zealander led the Green Rockets Tokatsu for two seasons, working with a number of world class Top League and Super Rugby players.

With a long history of maximising player development and an exciting next generation of Melbourne Rebels coming through the ranks, Taylor said he couldn’t wait to hit the ground running at his new rugby home.

“When I watched the Rebels play last season, I saw a team playing for each other and one that wasn't afraid to express themselves, which is the type of team and footy I want to be a part of,” said Taylor.

“I love being part of a team that is always striving for more, so I will be bringing plenty of energy, a strong work ethic and attention to detail for anything the team or players need from me. I can’t wait to get started.”

Melbourne Rebels GM of Rugby, Nick Stiles, said the Rebels were thrilled to welcome Taylor and were excited for the impact he’ll make on the Rebels next generation of stars.

“Rob’s signing is a strategic recruitment for the Rebels as we look to evolve our playing style and maximise the development of the next generation of Melbourne Rebels and Australian representatives,” said Stiles.

“We’re so excited to have someone of Rob’s calibre join our Club. Rob arrives at the Rebels possessing strong international experience across four countries, where he’s achieved great team success and fast-tracked elite player development.

“As we look to evolve our game model, Rob will be driving our kicking strategy alongside Tim Sampson, while also developing our elite pathways and EDS contracted players and helping identify the next wave of homegrown Melbourne Rebels and Wallabies to proudly represent our state and country.”
Big fan of this signing. Especially for your junior pathways. He did a great job at Uni.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
What is a likely Rebels XV next year?

Potentially

1 - Gibbon
2 - Uelese
3 - Tupou
4 - Canham
5 - LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6 - Kemeny
7 - Wilkin
8 - Leota (c)
9 - Lourwens
10 - Gordon
11 - Lancaster
12 - Proctor
13 - Daungunu
14 - Anderson
15 - Kellaway

16 - Mafi
17 - Eloff
18 - Fa'amausili
19 - Smith
20 - Ekuasi
21 - Maunder
22 - Vaihu
23 - Pincus

If so 10 would be internationally capped, with a further 3 having Aus A experience

Last edited:

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
What is a likely Rebels XV next year?

Potentially

1 - Gibbon
2 - Uelese
3 - Tupou
4 - Canham
5 - LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6 - Kemeny
7 - Wilkin
8 - Leota (c)
9 - Lourwens
10 - Gordon
11 - Lancaster
12 - Proctor
13 - Daungunu
14 - Anderson
15 - Kellaway

16 - Mafi
17 - Eloff
18 - Fa'amausili
19 - Smith
20 - Ekuasi
21 - Maunder
22 - Vaihu
23 - Pincus

If so 10 would be internationally capped, with a further 3 having Aus A experience

close I think. Bang on with the forwards.

I think Strachan will find his way into the 23 jersey so that we do have a back up kicker and 10. Pincus may miss a lot of footy: he had a pretty nasty injury in the SS.

Then it's a question of do you play with the center line up you've suggested with one of them out of position at 12, or do you play a journeyman/developing option at 12 with Daugunu on the wing instead.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
That this is our year

On paper, there's no reason we can't push the Brumbies for being the best Australian team. It however is contingent on:

Canham staying fit and performing close to or above 2023 standard
Gordon staying fit and performing close to or above 2023 standard.
Matt Proctor having a Tamati Ellison-like impact on our defensive structures and level headedness.
A solution being found to our number 12 woes (I'm still softly hoping that Ripley will come to the table with a guy like Proctor outside him, but Dauganu looked good last weekend, and D Vaihu looks like an up and comer)
One or both of Mafi and Uelese sorting out their lineout throwing: they don't need to be deadeye dicks, just strong enough to not be a liability.

I think if any... 2 of those don't occur we're probably going to struggle to achieve significantly better results than 2023. Brumbies are the Brumbies, the Tahs and Reds lack some tight five depth but have excellent first XV/XXIIIs and the Force, Fainga'a and Robertson aside, haven't lost too many that would really be pushing them further forward.

Definitely make or break for Mr Foote though, he's brought in a nice enough brand of Rugby that's incentivised a few to come our way, but you need competition points on the board.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting an announcement in my neck of the woods. It is behind a paywall and doesn’t say much other than the Rebels will provide support and it will open up opportunities for local students, but it is certainly the first time there has been any sort of direct relationship with a Super team and a CQ based school that I am aware of.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Interesting an announcement in my neck of the woods. It is behind a paywall and doesn’t say much other than the Rebels will provide support and it will open up opportunities for local students, but it is certainly the first time there has been any sort of direct relationship with a Super team and a CQ based school that I am aware of.

Like that