• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
Its kind of where the salary cap is there to help the clubs. THe Rebels seem to constantly have the biggest playing squad including a bunch they must be paying accomodation for. It's like the ARC days when the Rebels sent that comp broke too/
We also have an equal if not higher paid up member base than other Aus franchises.
I note that the article quoting $9m is on a newscorp website (cue conspiracy)

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
We also have an equal if not higher paid up member base than other Aus franchises.
Yes, it’s from Panda. You can trust him! Rebels had more members than the Tahs did this last season.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Its kind of where the salary cap is there to help the clubs. THe Rebels seem to constantly have the biggest playing squad including a bunch they must be paying accomodation for. It's like the ARC days when the Rebels sent that comp broke too/
Paying accommodation for? No, Rebels members put up interstate and international players in their own homes at their own cost. Why? Because we love Rugby in VIC.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Surely we didn’t have more members than the ‘Tahs, the away team had more supporters than us at each game this year.

I heard Tupou took a lower pay to go to Melbourne because the climate is more like Tonga, it’s the Nukuʿalofa of the south.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don’t think Tahs membership is a strong
metric to go against anyway, they were homeless for 3 years and lost a lot of their long term members through that period as they bounced between different stadiums, they only just moved back to a SFS this year.

We also have an equal if not higher paid up member base than other Aus franchises.)
Out of interest, do you have a link for these membership numbers?

Last edited:

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Based on crowd numbers, which I know is not directly correlated to member numbers, the other team's member numbers must be horrible.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
I don’t think Tahs membership is a strong
metric to go against anyway, they were homeless for 3 years and lost a lot of their long term members through that period as they bounced between different stadiums, they only just moved back to a SFS this year.

Out of interest, do you have a link for these membership numbers?
It was mentioned in the Rebels Fan Forum a couple of months ago; I don’t have a link

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
It was mentioned in the Rebels Fan Forum a couple of months ago; I don’t have a link
I went looking and thought the annual report would be a good starting point.

Is there any reason why the 2022 report doesn't cover off any financial status or the typical auditors findings?

I would have thought members of the largest club would want to know this information?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Who could have seen this RA get a new board in trumpeting sticking with the traditional clubs then there is a renewed push to get rid of the Rebels. Notice all these leaks have happened after Herbert took over also none of the leaks are about the Bankrupt Brumbies

I was critical of how that all played out between states, but I think the fact that 4 subsidiaries of BRC, the Rebels Directors company and Rebels major sponsor have fallen into administration in recent weeks, and facing a capital squeeze might have something to do with it coming to a head.

If the debt is held against BRC, even more reason for it been flagged.

Last edited:

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Some perspective...

BRC Capital "operates like an investment bank", so by the nature of that work, some investments will succeed, and some won't. The AFR article provided some financials but says nothing about the remaining portfolio. Another article talks about a $600 Mil biomed precinct; the value alone of that deal far outweighs the losses quoted in the other AFR article.

Not even worried about the debt to AAMI Park. It's owned by MOPT, which is government-owned. A major backer of Rugby in Vic is also the vic Government. A strong Rugby presence helps 2025 Lions and 2027 RWC be an even bigger commercial success. From what I read, the MCG is still in the mix to hose the final.

Yes, they need to pay their debts, and it's definitely not a good look to be in the ATO's bad books. However, I cannot see a world where a fledging support can grow to a commercial powerhouse without a team in Melbourne. The Rebels need to succeed, and RA will do everything to make that happen.

Mergers, cuts, and other kinds of stupidity that piss off fans are not the answer.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I was critical of how that all played out between states, but I think the fact that 4 subsidiaries of BRC, the Rebels Directors company and Rebels major sponsor have fallen into administration in recent weeks, and facing a capital squeeze might have something to do with it coming to a head.

If the debt is held against BRC, even more reason for it been flagged.
It’s all political. It tiresome really.

Fergo

Allen Oxlade (6)
Last year was my first year taking up a membership with the Rebs after 20 years living in Australia. I‘m yet to renew and will jump on today to generate some revenue. We just need to convince another 20,000 to do the same.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Notice all these leaks have happened after Herbert took over also none of the leaks are about the Bankrupt Brumbies

Did they pay their taxes?

1703021141322.jpeg

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Some perspective...

BRC Capital "operates like an investment bank", so by the nature of that work, some investments will succeed, and some won't. The AFR article provided some financials but says nothing about the remaining portfolio. Another article talks about a $600 Mil biomed precinct; the value alone of that deal far outweighs the losses quoted in the other AFR article.

Not even worried about the debt to AAMI Park. It's owned by MOPT, which is government-owned. A major backer of Rugby in Vic is also the vic Government. A strong Rugby presence helps 2025 Lions and 2027 RWC be an even bigger commercial success. From what I read, the MCG is still in the mix to hose the final.

Yes, they need to pay their debts, and it's definitely not a good look to be in the ATO's bad books. However, I cannot see a world where a fledging support can grow to a commercial powerhouse without a team in Melbourne. The Rebels need to succeed, and RA will do everything to make that happen.

Mergers, cuts, and other kinds of stupidity that piss off fans are not the answer.
Don’t expect people to see sense

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Last year was my first year taking up a membership with the Rebs after 20 years living in Australia. I‘m yet to renew and will jump on today to generate some revenue. We just need to convince another 20,000 to do the same.
Welcome aboard. I am thinking of adding to my two memberships to support the club.