• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Just heard Waugh on abc grandstand. It’s not official but it’s over everyone. Most disappointing thing in the interview he never mentioned the fans once.

The Sydney elites win
He does not give a shit about fans, he will when fans stop attending. I like his comment, Wallabies need Super Rugby teams to be successful to be successful, how his Super Rugby and test career go? I'm sure he won lots of trophies. Oh wait, he won fuck all.

Steve_Grey

Sydney Middleton (9)
So RA receive $29m annually from Stan for the rights to broadcast Super Rugby, but that requires 5 Super Rugby franchises in Australia? That deal expires at the end of 2025? I tried to find out the details on the other broadcast deal thread, but got lost in all the posts to be clear.

Do RA Australia need to fund the Rebels, at around $5m per year, for both 2024 and 2025 then - or just this year, as they close the Rebels end of 2024, and put a new Super Rugby franchise in for the start of 2025?

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
So RA receive $29m annually from Stan for the rights to broadcast Super Rugby, but that requires 5 Super Rugby franchises in Australia? That deal expires at the end of 2025? I tried to find out the details on the other broadcast deal thread, but got lost in all the posts to be clear.

Do RA Australia need to fund the Rebels, at around $5m per year, for both 2024 and 2025 then - or just this year, as they close the Rebels end of 2024, and put a new Super Rugby franchise in for the start of 2025?

my guess is they will go to Fairfax/9 (prob already have) & give them 1st option at an extension with the condition of 1 less game in 2025 a week.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Because the Sydney elites criminally mismanaged it over the entirety of the clubs lifetime? How much money has been poured into supporting the Rebels? RA you know the Sydney elites chose them over the Force when they originally cut a team. When does accountability come into the equation?

I don't like this anymore than the next person but come on. This failure sits at the feet of the Rebels management.

What we need to do now is figure how to involve Melbourne in the pathway without a professional franchise. Personally, an rep/academy squad that's entered in the either the Sydney or Brisbane competitions. Brisbane having 9 clubs has the opportunity to include such a team. Beyond this. Maintaining Vic involvement in the JNRC at both the U16s and 19s level. It won't replace the Rebels but maintains the pathway for young Victorians into Super Rugby.

From there. Either SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) goes with 11 or drops MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) and as Ian Payten suggests runs an 18 round double round robin competition.

yep & we’ll go back to having 1 Victorian a decade making the wallabies with not a proper pathway.

how are all those kids going out in Penrith? They filtering in through other Super Rugby sides?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Do RA Australia need to fund the Rebels, at around $5m per year, for both 2024 and 2025 then - or just this year, as they close the Rebels end of 2024, and put a new Super Rugby franchise in for the start of

There are 91 games in total played across SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) at present. If it moved to a 18 round double round robin then that would be 90 in the regular season. Would actually mean slightly more games.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
yep & we’ll go back to having 1 Victorian a decade making the wallabies with not a proper pathway.

how are all those kids going out in Penrith? They filtering in through other Super Rugby sides?

They'll probably do what the kids that play out in Campbelltown will do. Which is from experience being one myself you get approached by one of the Shute clubs and then if you want to pursue it further you go play for them.

This isn't a situation anyone here wants. But blaming anyone other than those who ran the Rebels into the ground is grasping at straws.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
They'll probably do what the kids that play out in Campbelltown will do. Which is from experience being one myself you get approached by one of the Shute clubs and then if you want to pursue it further you go play for them.

This isn't a situation anyone here wants. But blaming anyone other than those who ran the Rebels into the ground is grasping at straws.

Yep play rugby league, the pool will get smaller & smaller & slowly fade into complete obscurity. Which is damn close to rn.

& it’s a situation you want more than anything you just are too scared to say it here

Steve_Grey

Sydney Middleton (9)
Just heard Waugh on abc grandstand. It’s not official but it’s over everyone. Most disappointing thing in the interview he never mentioned the fans once.

The Sydney elites win
Just listened to that interview - kept saying he wants to 'connect with the community'; wouldn't answer the Rebels alive/dead question head-on and sidestepped into sayng he hoped they have a strong 2024 season!

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

If this shit fight can’t be resolved Super Rugby as a product can still deliver the same number of games over the season by scrapping the Bye round and including an extra round. It Just can’t deliver the same number of games each week. It’s to smaller market though so well within Nines right to ask for less $$.

RA needs to fund them for 2024, but really rugby needs someone in Melbourne with deep pockets who is willing to bailout the $20million in debt the rebels board accrued, because they can’t just carry that over forever.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Because the Sydney elites criminally mismanaged it over the entirety of the clubs lifetime? How much money has been poured into supporting the Rebels? RA you know the Sydney elites chose them over the Force when they originally cut a team. When does accountability come into the equation?

I don't like this anymore than the next person but come on. This failure sits at the feet of the Rebels management.

What we need to do now is figure how to involve Melbourne in the pathway without a professional franchise. Personally, an rep/academy squad that's entered in the either the Sydney or Brisbane competitions. Brisbane having 9 clubs has the opportunity to include such a team. Beyond this. Maintaining Vic involvement in the JNRC at both the U16s and 19s level. It won't replace the Rebels but maintains the pathway for young Victorians into Super Rugby.

From there. Either SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) goes with 11 or drops MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) and as Ian Payten suggests runs an 18 round double round robin competition.
lol you have NFI your post is embarrassingly ignorant.

We will never see any pro players come out of Vic again without the Rebels. Why? Because the storm are finally setting up an academy down here. Why would anybody turn their back on the potential of a career at the Storm for Union when they have to leave their families to do so? They won’t, it’s going to be a battle to keep them invested in union even with the Rebels. The growth of junior league has been significant down here

Yes the Sydney elites have mismanaged the game, why can Rugby Australia not support expansion clubs. Because the clubs in the heartland are unable to stand on their own two feet. Since 1906 Aussie rules has been taking money from the clubs in the heartlands to support expansion. That’s why the Swans are a success. They were subsidised for 30 years throughout a period where the game was in crisis financially as they understood the importance of a national foot print

Yet rugby Australia chose to give the third licence to the ACT and go head to head with the Raiders when they could have been in Melbourne before the storm.

Last edited:

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
He does not give a shit about fans, he will when fans stop attending. I like his comment, Wallabies need Super Rugby teams to be successful to be successful, how his Super Rugby and test career go? I'm sure he won lots of trophies. Oh wait, he won fuck all.
What do you expect you put another NSW wanker in the job and he can’t see past his own city.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I’m all for blaming RA and their mismanagement of the game, but let’s not forget the Rebels board off in this shit fight, it’s gross negligence in what they’ve done and how they managed the club.
lol they put their own money into the club to keep it afloat. We played away for two years and RA doesn’t even cover the costs of competing in the comp with their grant money.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Yep play rugby league, the pool will get smaller & smaller & slowly fade into complete obscurity. Which is damn close to rn.

& it’s a situation you want more than anything you just are too scared to say it here

No, they travel to play in the Shute clubs. I can talk about this from experience having done so myself. There are plenty of WS kids playing in Shute Shield clubs beyond just the Two Blues and Pirates. I've been a proponent of 5 Super Rugby franchises for a long time. I'm not happy to see the impeding demise of the Rebels. Pull you head out mate.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
And why did they need to put their own money in?
Why because RA under funds the teams.

You have NFI you think lads in Victoria will opt to move to Sydney to try and play Shute Shield over being in the Storms pathway. It says it all really.

I played juniors pre the rebels and so many kids gave up the game for opportunities in the TAC cup. That was pre the Storm trying to develop locals and having an academy system down here. So now you will have the AFL and NRL picking the eyes out of the talent. No kid is going to pick the Shute Shield

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
lol they put their own money into the club to keep it afloat. We played away for two years and RA doesn’t even cover the costs of competing in the comp with their grant money.
From what I understand, one or two of them loaned money, as a business transaction to the club. Hence why they’re now a listed creditor seeking to recoup their money.

In either case this doesn’t excuse the performance of the board, nor does good intentions negate gross negligence when comes to impacting livelihoods.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
There are 91 games in total played across SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) at present. If it moved to a 18 round double round robin then that would be 90 in the regular season. Would actually mean slightly more games.

Increased Australian content?