• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
the question is how are they going to make money out of it? PE isn't exactly known for its desire to lose money.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Look I'm not enthusiastic about traveling to Tarneit for matches but if that's part of the lifeline, so be it.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
So, apparently RA still have to accept this and they're 50/50 right now. Rebels have returned serve now and have shown they're trying, RA's move.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
"If successful, the club would relocate to Wyndham, a suburb that is home to one of the largest Pasifika communities in Melbourne. Matches would be played at the precinct owned by Western Melbourne Group"

Is this the potential new home ground? Surely cant be viable
Name Western United's new home | Wyndham
Get ready for a sizzling season of football in Tarneit

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
I'm sure Rebs would play a decent chunk at AAMI - just googled this - Since Aloisi took over in 2021, Western United has won 14 of its 26 matches played at AAMI Park

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
"If successful, the club would relocate to Wyndham, a suburb that is home to one of the largest Pasifika communities in Melbourne. Matches would be played at the precinct owned by Western Melbourne Group"

Is this the potential new home ground? Surely cant be viable
Name Western United's new home | Wyndham's new home | Wyndham
Get ready for a sizzling season of football in Tarneit
It says the capacity is 5k - more than we get at the moment

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yeah look if it's half/half I'll take it, better than nothing.

Get the feeling that if we survive it'll be on a shoestring budget, prepared for half our squad to leave. I was actually semi coming round to shrink to greatness.

Reactions: Tex

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I'm sure Rebs would play a decent chunk at AAMI - just googled this - Since Aloisi took over in 2021, Western United has won 14 of its 26 matches played at AAMI Park
Wyndham Stadium only opened recently, A-League fans have been talking about it a bit of twitter, looks like the rest of Western United's matches are at Wyndham

Edit: Wyndham Stadium hasn't started construction yet, Wyndham Regional Facility opened this month

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The photos you uploaded are the training pitch, being built next door is the 15,000 capacity future home of the WUFC and presumably Rebels.
gotcha, it doesn't look like that stadium has started construction yet.

Western United are playing A-league games from the training pitch this month then.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
The rebels can play at a suburban footy ground for a couple years - build up a fanbase and when they outgrow Wyndham they can renegotiate better terms at AAMI Park.

honestly how do you owe 1 millions dollars to use AAMI park. Unsure how long that debt is but these state govts building these facilities need to give a discount to codes other than NRL/AFL (I know ALeague fans up here in QLD talk about the high costs to use Suncorp stadium - they keep Banging on about state gov / building them a boutique ground just outside the city in Bowen hills)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
the question is how are they going to make money out of it? PE isn't exactly known for its desire to lose money.

I suspect the PE partner is Western Melbourne Group (WMG), they're the owners of Western United and also the group underpinning the development out at Wyndham, reading through some reporting it looks like they're pretty significant landholders granted by the council, not just for the stadium area but also commercial zones surrounding, and the Stadium is one of the items underpinning the development.

So if WMG can get the stadium and station built, the value of the land they hold jumps significantly, having a second professional sporting team there might be enough to justify government funding for some of that infrastructure.

The deal could have some credibility, might not be a sustainable model long term though.