• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The players that don't want to go to the new training ground wouldn't be forced to sign the new contracts though right? So they could just leave by not signing on.

There doesn't need to be a breach of contract, because they are all ending

Not sure - it’s all a bit complicated from the outside (and inside).

The contract would likely still read the employer is the Melbourne Rebels unless something drastic changes.

Otherwise technically in the scenario you’re talking about, the players could have voided their contracts when RA took over because it wasn’t their ‘original employer’.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Not sure - it’s all a bit complicated from the outside (and inside).

The contract would likely still read the employer is the Melbourne Rebels unless something drastic changes.

Otherwise technically in the scenario you’re talking about, the players could have voided their contracts when RA took over because it wasn’t their ‘original employer’.
The players contracts won't have changed yet (I'm guessing!), RA was always a party to every Super Rugby contract anyway, so they exist in the existing employment contract.

The new owners will need a new ABN, etc. so a new contract will be needed

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The players contracts won't have changed yet (I'm guessing!), RA was always a party to every Super Rugby contract anyway, so they exist in the existing employment contract.

The new owners will need a new ABN, etc. so a new contract will be needed
Will they? Won’t they just be buying the old Melbourne Rebels Rugby Union limited?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
What does the Vic Gov have to sign off on? Are they going to be funding?

Any insight as to what RA don't like?

Maybe this?

This project will be delivered in stages, with the first stage being construction of the Regional Football Facility. This facility will serve as a match-day venue for both Liberty A-League Women matches and Isuzu UTE A-League Men matches from March 2024 until the stadium is built.

The risk would be the funding gap. Moving from a populated area (Melbourne) where they were struggling to get a crowds to a less populated area does raise some questions.

They need $13+mil a year to break-even so with a $23mil debt, they need more like $36mil for year one. Then on top of that all the cost of relocation and re-establishment cost etc.

So as Rugby supporter, until I could see a cash balance of around $50mil for just the next 2 years, I would not go near the deal as it puts RA at risk (and the other teams). I can't see where the funds will come from. I also be cautious of anything A-League noting the funding issues they are having with clubs.

Even sugar daddy Twiggy doesn't fully fund the Force.

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
big-lebowski-shaking-head-no.gif
A good professional knows when he's been defeated.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
100% on the letter of the law I'm sure it's an option, but I'm interested to see how these laws, in practice, would apply to professional sport.

Like, if we were moved to Adelaide, for sure, fuck off Rebels, go get that bag.

But if we moved to say, Brunswick, that would clearly be a fuck off players.

There's definitely a line somewhere.
Its a beautiful line paved with cash for filthy, filthy lawyers. The vaguer the contracts and regulations, the better.

Also lol at the Rebels becoming some farming team. Devils advocate but I can absolutely see RA's reticence to support the proposal given they'll inevitably foot the bill for a relocation to a spot where the team without fans will get... even less fans (am I crazy in thinking they'd struggle to get 500 people to a game out there?).

Dumb fucks should've thought harder 15 years ago or whatever. Its just miserable.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
From over here on this side of the ditch, I have no idea of where the base would be etc, how hard it would be to get to it etc,
But as a rugby man I have fingers crossed that something workable can be sorted, probably niave of me, but if it keeps club going I all for it.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Its a beautiful line paved with cash for filthy, filthy lawyers. The vaguer the contracts and regulations, the better.

Also lol at the Rebels becoming some farming team. Devils advocate but I can absolutely see RA's reticence to support the proposal given they'll inevitably foot the bill for a relocation to a spot where the team without fans will get... even less fans (am I crazy in thinking they'd struggle to get 500 people to a game out there?).

Dumb fucks should've thought harder 15 years ago or whatever. Its just miserable.
There is a massive rugby community out west, I think they would also come to games. Sure the SE fans will have a hard time getting out there, but it's only a 28 minute train ride from Southern Cross. Sure it adds in the pressure of getting to the city to get on the v-line, but it's an option at least. Hopefully the draw is a bit kinder and more games could be on a Saturday or Sunday to help with traffic into the area. Perhaps shuttle buses from the station to the ground for those people who catch the train.

Or perhaps it doesn't go through, at this point in time it's all speculation and whilst it seems positive the Rebels definitely need more money than the $30 million from PE. Or they need the $30 million and then a red-hot CEO who can run the business side of the Rebels well and generate enough revenue in sponsorships/grants/car boot sales to fund the team going forward.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I wonder how all the players who were preparing to sign off on some juicy overseas contracts feel about having to honour their Rebels deals and travel to a new training facility 1hr+ away from the current one.
Just ask the Dragons in the NRL. Have had to move 50% of their training back to Kogarah because they couldn't retain/recruit talent who want to be in Sydney when told you need to come to work in Wollongong (1.5hr)

This is a great result overall for them. Best thing for the Rebels might be to let players who want to kick rocks walk away and build with a fresh start. Yes there might be some rough seasons but build the organisation to last for good.

Very interested to know RA's thoughts and feelings. If four teams was a goal this is a problem although a relief.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Just ask the Dragons in the NRL. Have had to move 50% of their training back to Kogarah because they couldn't retain/recruit talent who want to be in Sydney when told you need to come to work in Wollongong (1.5hr)

This is a great result overall for them. Best thing for the Rebels might be to let players who want to kick rocks walk away and build with a fresh start. Yes there might be some rough seasons but build the organisation to last for good.

Very interested to know RA's thoughts and feelings. If four teams was a goal this is a problem although a relief.
They are still in Melbourne not that far from areas like Yarraville, Footscray or Williamstown.

Unlike the NRL there aren’t multiple other clubs in the city. Furthermore maybe the dragons couldn’t make it work in Wollongong because they are a shit club. Geelong have set themselves up as a destination club in the AFL

Reactions: TSR

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

I think RA will be more concerned with the funding side than the players stuff, let RUPA deal with that.

I’m not sure the proposed funding is enough for them to have a ‘few rough seasons’ and still be solvent in say 4 years when you consider the current attendance and membership for the Rebels isn’t exactly huge.

Also quite funny the number of posters on here who constantly warn against becoming the next A-League and post about their money woes, when this proposal essentially hitches the Rebels wagon to an A-League team.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Rugby Australia wouldn't be able say no to this, would they? (Obviously, they theoretically could...)

But it would mean guaranteed legal action from those former directors who are currently personally liable for ATO bills.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Brisbane Roar moved home games from Suncorp to Redcliffe Stadium, a similar scenario to what is been suggested here, and there crowds basically halved in the process
The stands are empty now, a ground with big overheads. If they move to a small ground that is also empty it should at least lose them less money

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Apparently the stadium is more of a pipe dream than initially thought. Going to lower my expectations at this stage.
Yeah, it seems like this play is as much about getting another tenant in to help make the stadium happen. That might help in getting a bit more money flowing if the stadium is dead in the water without it though.

Reactions: mst

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Rugby Australia wouldn't be able say no to this, would they? (Obviously, they theoretically could...)

But it would mean guaranteed legal action from those former directors who are currently personally liable for ATO bills.

I would think that RA is hoping that the other creditors will do the dirty work for them.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

Would depend on what RA viewed the likely and maximum cost of that legal action versus the costs of keeping the Rebels going under these terms for another few years.

All comes down to whether there's enough money in this to not just clear the Rebels debt but to carry them through to ongoing stability.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah, it seems like this play is as much about getting another tenant in to help make the stadium happen. That might help in getting a bit more money flowing if the stadium is dead in the water without it though.
Yeah i read last night from some A-League fans i follow (on twitter so take with a grain of salt) that the developer who was previously going to build the stadium had pulled out a while ago and have no funding for the actual stadium.

Looks like WMG are doing this to try and justify/secure funding for the stadium, which will in turn inflate the value of the development they're planning out at Wyndham