• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rising 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
interesting that ben meehan isn't in either of the queensland NRC squads.

hasn't been mentioned as far as i am aware in relation to any of the other NRC teams. does anyone have an inkling (or more) where he is likely to end up ?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Add St.Kevens and Harlequins product Jack de Guingand to the list for Qld Country and Junior Laloifi from Norths (I think) for Qld City. What a shame!

You can't fault them, we rave about opportunities being here now (and rightfully so) but the chance to take some extra cash and more consistently competitive rugby interstate must be hard to pass up.

T

Train Without a Station

eligible? THERE'S NO FUCKING SELECTION CONTRAINTS AND ELIGIBILITY! And just perhaps he doesn't want to come back to Melbourne and find accommodation for 3 months to earn a couple of hundred a game.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
eligible? THERE'S NO FUCKING SELECTION CONTRAINTS AND ELIGIBILITY! And just perhaps he doesn't want to come back to Melbourne and find accommodation for 3 months to earn a couple of hundred a game.

I'm not an idiot mate, I'm aware of that.

If the program didn't invite any players that weren't either in their Super Rugby program (for 2014 or 15) or participated in their extensive preseason, isn't that not being ineligible? Seeing as you've mentioned the financials of relocating players temporarily, which would OBVIOUSLY be a factor is a comp best described as semi-pro, could this not be called 'ineligibility' for the Rising program?

Is there really anything wrong with discussing locally developed talent in a thread about a team designed to develop local talent? Really?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I wonder why Tom Cox isn't in the Rising squad, I thought that was the whole logic behind his time with Powerhouse.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Meehan v Stirzaker is 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

From what I've seen, Ben gives you a very pacey game, and is probably the better outright Box kick. Whereas Nic's general kicking and technical game is better, while also being the slightly better defender.

Both of them need to be retained long term if possible, Burgo won't be around forever.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Wonder what the deal with this was? Were they shopping Ben around (trying to get both developing 9s a starting berth) and it failed? Or what?

I mean they deliberately left spots open, so they obviously planned for a contingency, but it's still odd.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Wonder what the deal with this was? Were they shopping Ben around (trying to get both developing 9s a starting berth) and it failed? Or what?

I mean they deliberately left spots open, so they obviously planned for a contingency, but it's still odd.
Wasn't there meant to be a cap of 16 super rugby players per squad? Maybe they had to wait to see if another side wanted him first?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Wasn't there meant to be a cap of 16 super rugby players per squad? Maybe they had to wait to see if another side wanted him first?

I reckon teams are trying it on, as in "What are you going to do about it, ARU?" ;)

Either that or it's based on last year's Super squads, or there is an exemption for EPS players, or something.....

A bit like the Perth Spirit re-poaching Pek back from the Rays.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I reckon teams are trying it on, as in "What are you going to do about it, ARU?" ;)

Either that or it's based on last year's Super squads, or there is an exemption for EPS players, or something...

A bit like the Perth Spirit re-poaching Pek back from the Rays.

I didn't mean to suggest there was anything untoward about it, just that there may have been a bit of a process that meant they had to wait before they locked it in.

As a side note, has Burgess been named in an NRC side?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

I think we only have 16, Placid isn't a Super Rugby player technically. He's just a player who played Super Rugby, know what I'm saying?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Leafa
Sexton
Smith
Ah-Nau
Alo-Emile
Neville
Jeffries
Jones
Higgers
Timani
McMahon
Stirzaker
Meehan
Debreczeni
Inman
English
Veaniu

I count 17, plus Placid.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Leafa
Sexton
Smith
Ah-Nau
Alo-Emile
Neville
Jeffries
Jones
Higgers
Timani
McMahon
Stirzaker
Meehan
Debreczeni
Inman
English
Veaniu

I count 17, plus Placid.

True. I suppose it's hard to get other teams to foot relocation bills.

Lucky we didn't keep Weeksy, hey?

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
True. I suppose it's hard to get other teams to foot relocation bills.

Lucky we didn't keep Weeksy, hey?

Do the Wallabies count in the Super Rugby Player allocation?

"Qantas Wallabies players will be playing Tests while the NRC is on, but each member of the Wallabies squad will be allocated across the nine teams and will play if they become available."

If not, that's only 15.

T

Train Without a Station

Yeah the Wallabies aren't included in the 16.

Whilst I don't know the facts, sounds like Meehan was shopped/offered around and only when not taken by another team was made available to the Rebels. Fair ruling.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
With no links to any Sydney side, Perth and Canberra only selecting locals and Queensland setting up one way gates, it's not overly surprising he ended up back down here.

On the Allocation, I thought Wallabies were included, there was an article about the rays implying they'd get 4 Wallabies and 12 other Soup players, making that magic 16.

Status
Not open for further replies.