• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rising 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Do the Wallabies count in the Super Rugby Player allocation?

"Qantas Wallabies players will be playing Tests while the NRC is on, but each member of the Wallabies squad will be allocated across the nine teams and will play if they become available."

If not, that's only 15.

I know, but Weeksy only got the call up 2 days ago. Thus he wasn't initially allocated as a Wallaby but now is.

D

daz

So, big question: Who will captain the side?

Is Nic Stirz's role as media front man a sign he is in with a shot?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
mcmahon ?

(higginbotham)

i can't see anyone else on the list who has captaincy experience

perhaps neville, or from the locals rolleston, lloyd johanssen,

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I think if they are looking at the NRC as a 'development' exercise the perhaps use some of the rebel deputies in the squad to help home their leadership skills. Engo is the only rising player who is in the rebel leadership group not allocated to the Wobs. I put jones in that category too. Perhaps they could consider Inman or even McMahon in the role. Wouldn't read too much into little red's media role at this stage, guess he could be wearing his RUPA board member hat? (A steretch, I know).

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
After watching Saturday it's obvious Naivalu needs AT MINIMUM a bench spot for the Rising.

He made line breaks all day, kicked the winning penalty, and is listed as the Dewar Shield's leading try scorer.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Just on that, Channel 31 (Digital Station 44 I think) is doing a 60 minutes "replay" of the game at 6pm on Thursday, if people want to watch it.

In a fully fit backline, we've got 1 starting spot and 2 bench spots. I reckon they go to Naufau, Kamana and Sefa, with the latter 2 fighting it out: for that starting spot. I reckon for the Rays game:

9. Stirzaker
10. Debreczeni
11. Telusa
12. Inman
13. English
14. Kamana
15. Placid

21. Meehan
22. Naufua
23. Sefa

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Just on that, Channel 31 (Digital Station 44 I think) is doing a 60 minutes "replay" of the game at 6pm if you want to watch it.

In a fully fit backline, we've got 1 starting spot and 2 bench spots. I reckon they go to Naufau, Kamana and Sefa, with the latter 2 fighting it out: for that starting spot. I reckon for the Rays game:

9. Stirzaker
10. Debreczeni
11. Telusa
12. Inman
13. English
14. Kamana
15. Placid

21. Meehan
22. Naufua
23. Sefa

I get that Kamana comes in with the bigger wraps and training history but his form is not at the same level as Naivalu.

That being said, since he's literally the poster boy for the 'locals', he'll probably get the spot.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
If our biggest problem is which local winger is in better form and deserves a starting berth, that bodes well for the season ahead.

Within 3 or 4 weeks I think that Naivalu will have claimed the starting spot. But as the poster boy, who's played trial games with the Rebels, and is significantly fresher, I think Kamana will get the early season nod.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Jerseys, scarves, beanies, etc., merchandise on sale.

Clicky

https://m.AK (Andrew Kellaway).fbcdn.net/scontent-a.xx/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/15678_329343717190494_1038489834217865418_n.jpg

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Just on that, Channel 31 (Digital Station 44 I think) is doing a 60 minutes "replay" of the game at 6pm on Thursday, if people want to watch it.

9. Stirzaker
10. Debreczeni
11. Telusa
12. Inman
13. English
14. Kamana
15. Placid

21. Meehan
22. Naufua
23. Sefa

English was called up to the Wob Squad a few days ago, might have to find another 13.

http://www.melbournerebels.com.au/news/article/wallabies-lose-weeks-as-english-gets-the-call-up

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Assuming they take the 23, plus a 5 man travelling squad, I think English will be left out, along with one of the locks, Hodgeson and Lilo.

However, if he is touring, you either slide Sefa into 13, or bring Lloyd into the 23 to play IC, and move Inman out to 13.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Pretty damn excited about the NRC, particularly the mix of local, S15 and Wallaby players on each team.

Status
Not open for further replies.