• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Moana Pasifika vs Waratahs, Sat. May 7 @ 1435, Auckland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Once again Moana's discipline & set piece let them down when it matters most. Full credit to 'tahs for hanging in there & working their way back into it from 0-17, I can think of a team or two who might've thrown in the towel at that point...
Same issues with Drua. Few years of professionalism and they'll sort the finer points. Drua in particular will be top half of the table IMO.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
That's a relief! Winning ugly is better than losing.

Waratahs line speed (as distinct from line position) was just too slow tonight, which allowed MP (Moana Pasifika) to get up a head of steam. I think the emotional letdown from last week meant we did not play to our best. If we play like that next week we are history. Still, Holloway was immense, Gordon was great (except his box-kicking was awful, he really should dish off to Edmed/Donaldson to make metres in his own half), but I thought our backrow lacked punch. And we do so miss HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), even though I thought Holtz was OK.

The Rugby laws some times make an absolute ass of themselves. The try that was pulled back because the MP (Moana Pasifika) player put his foot on the line meant that although MP (Moana Pasifika) infringed there was absolutely no advantage to the Waratahs. The TMO might have been correct in law but it was just stupid and actively reduced the game as a spectacle. Its a sliding doors moment, the MP (Moana Pasifika) might have come back to win. We'll never know. To his credit, Angus Gardiner clearly wasn't happy as you could tell from his tone of voice and question as to whether it was within two phases.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Edmed was hidden in defence, and did not do much in attack. Subbed at half-time.
Yep wasn't real surprised he came dow a little after the highs of last week, he just a kid really.

Have to ask who on the board genuinely thought the Tahs would be where they are on the board at this stage of season, and ahead of Reds (not bloody me that's for sure)? And it's not in my opinion flukey or undeserved, they are going well and personally although I not a supposrter of them I find it pleasing, mainly for the game.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Waratahs line speed (as distinct from line position) was just too slow tonight, which allowed MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) to get up a head of steam. I think the emotional letdown from last week meant we did not play to our best. If we play like that next week we are history. Still, Holloway was immense, Gordon was great (except his box-kicking was awful, he really should dish off to Edmed/Donaldson to make metres in his own half), but I thought our backrow lacked punch. And we do so miss HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes), even though I thought Holtz was OK.

The Rugby laws some times make an absolute ass of themselves. The try that was pulled back because the MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) player put his foot on the line meant that although MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) infringed there was absolutely no advantage to the Waratahs. The TMO might have been correct in law but it was just stupid and actively reduced the game as a spectacle. Its a sliding doors moment, the MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) might have come back to win. We'll never know. To his credit, Angus Gardiner clearly wasn't happy as you could tell from his tone of voice and question as to whether it was within two phases.
Donaldson will be back starting next week. I am chuffed despite nervous moments at end we won after 17-0 down. In fairness this is best I have seen MP (Moana Pasifika) play as I thought they were very good.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Very pleasing result. After the highs of last week I thought they might struggle this week, and did at the beginning, but showed enough composure to win from behind after holding out from i front last week. Couldn't do either last year, so massive improvement. MP (Moana Pasifika) are no mugs either. They are steadily improving through a disrupted season. Good game

Last edited:

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Good to see that the Tahs didn't fold when they were behind like in previous seasons.

But yes, the breakdown needs work

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Very pleasing result. After the highs of last week I thought they might struggle this week, and did at the beginning, but showed enough composure to win from behind after holding out from Iin ront. Couldn't do either last year, so massive improvement. MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) are no mugs either. They are steadily improving through a disrupted season. Good game
Good to see that the Tahs didn't fold when they were behind like in previous seasons.

But yes, the breakdown needs work
Losing Hooper and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) didn't help the breakdown. Hopefully both back soon

Alex Ross (28)
Losing Hooper and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) didn't help the breakdown. Hopefully both back soon
I don’t think we will see HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), but Hooper likely back next week which will make a huge difference to the breakdown. Gamble was tied up tackling and couldn’t get the turnovers. Hooper will assist in that, just like against the Saders.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)

Waratahs line speed (as distinct from line position) was just too slow tonight, which allowed MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) to get up a head of steam. I think the emotional letdown from last week meant we did not play to our best. If we play like that next week we are history. Still, Holloway was immense, Gordon was great (except his box-kicking was awful, he really should dish off to Edmed/Donaldson to make metres in his own half), but I thought our backrow lacked punch. And we do so miss HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes), even though I thought Holtz was OK.

The Rugby laws some times make an absolute ass of themselves. The try that was pulled back because the MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) player put his foot on the line meant that although MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) infringed there was absolutely no advantage to the Waratahs. The TMO might have been correct in law but it was just stupid and actively reduced the game as a spectacle. Its a sliding doors moment, the MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) might have come back to win. We'll never know. To his credit, Angus Gardiner clearly wasn't happy as you could tell from his tone of voice and question as to whether it was within two phases.

Whilst I agree 100% with you the intervention of the TMO ruining things too often (I was shouting at the tv) when you look at the replay the "assistant referee" actually put his flag up when the player went into touch. I assume he held it up the whole time. On reflection my complaint was that the TMO was snooping around looking for something to complain about, but the reality was that it was called correctly by the touchie so the game should have stopped. I'm 150% a Waratahs supporter BTW, but, fairs fair.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I retrospect, I am more pleased with this win than defeating the saders

A side can always get up to play the big dogs at home

But to turn up the following week, be down by a load and grind out a win

That suggests shit is moving in the right direction

And a nice comment from Coleman

“When you’re starting to grade your wins it’s starting to show that you’re getting used to winning and figuring out how to win.”

Last edited:

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
I retrospect, I am more pleased with this win than defeating the saders

A side can always get up to play the big dogs at home

But to turn up the following week, be down by a load and grind out a win

That suggests shit is moving in the right direction
I agree I was happy the Tahs found a way to win rather than loss. Hopefully that’s a sign of things to come. Still a few immature decisions but the younger members of the squad.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I agree I was happy the Tahs found a way to win rather than loss. Hopefully that’s a sign of things to come. Still a few immature decisions but the younger members of the squad.
Yep it's important to find a way to win rather than a way to lose that seems to happens to some teams when thay get on a bad run.

Status
Not open for further replies.