• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Moana v Rebels - Sat 29th

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Rebels cannot afford to drop another game, having dropped to second last its not a good look for coaches who all got resigned.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Kevin goes with the thicc bench:
Naarm Rebels Match Day 23 vs Moana Pasifika

1. Matt Gibbon

2. Alex Mafi

3. Sam Talakai

4. Angelo Smith

5. Trevor Hosea

6. Josh Kemeny

7. Brad Wilkin

8. Vaiolini Ekuasi

9. Ryan Louwrens

10. Carter Gordon

11. Monty Ioane

12. David Feliuai

13. Reece Hodge

14. Lachie Anderson

15. Andrew Kellaway

16. Jordan Uelese

17. Cabous Eloff

18. Pone Faamausili

19. Tim Cardall

20. Tamati Ioane

21. James Tuttle

22. Joe Pincus

23. Lukas Ripley

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Pretty solid team. With that front row coming on, if we can keep it fairly close it might be an advantage Rebels can take.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Would people in Sydney give more of a shit than people in Auckland about some new rugby union team that has nothing to do with them?
Even if they gave the same amount of a shit you'd be hoping for 4x the crowd off the back of population dynamics alone.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Even if they gave the same amount of a shit you'd be hoping for 4x the crowd off the back of population dynamics alone.
Does it work like that though? Look at Japan, world class players littered throughout teams, population of 120 million..... and yet still playing in front of no one at utterly empty rec centres.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Would people in Sydney give more of a shit than people in Auckland about some new rugby union team that has nothing to do with them?
I think Moana Pasifika is a good concept, poorly executed.
I think people in Western Sydney could give more of a shit than Auckland, if the team was delivered properly and marketed to the Pasifika population in Western Sydney. It couldn't do any worse then the 300 people at Mt Smart stadium.

Currently the team is a failure and i wouldn't be surprised to see World Rugby review their funding of this team, i don't think they ever intended to simply fund NZ 6th Super Rugby team.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Does it work like that though? Look at Japan, world class players littered throughout teams, population of 120 million..... and yet still playing in front of no one at utterly empty rec centres.
In this case I think it does, we've seen the crowds Tonga and Samoa have gotten in NRL in Sydney and it wouldn't take much to capitalize on that. Admittedly Auckland has seen similar crowds, but Moana is unlikely to be seen as a fake Australian side in the way it very much is seen as a fake New Zealand side right now. Not sure the outcome would be amazing though, just better than this.

More games in the pacific are clearly the ideal, but the infrastructure concerns are still pretty significant.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think Moana Pasifika is a good concept, poorly executed.
I think people in Western Sydney could give more of a shit than Auckland, if the team was delivered properly and marketed to the Pasifika population in Western Sydney. It couldn't do any worse then the 300 people at Mt Smart stadium.

Currently the team is a failure and i wouldn't be surprised to see World Rugby review their funding of this team, i don't think they ever intended to simply fund NZ 6th Super Rugby team.
It's just a product of everything wrong with the comp. It needs a complete revamp and restart.

Reactions: dru