• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Morahan called up to replace Mortlock

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheezel

Bill Watson (15)
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26355891-23217,00.html

The Wallabies have called in Queensland Reds utility back Luke Morahan for the final legs of the Grand Slam tour fill the vacancy left by the injured Stirling Mortlock.

Morahan, 19, is an Australian Sevens representative and will join the squad for the final three matches of the tour.

The Wallabies will take on Scotland at Murrayfield this weekend before a midweek game against Cardiff and the final Test of the tour, against Wales at Millennium Stadium.

Morahan made his debut for the Reds during this year's Super 14 after a two-year stint on the Sevens circuit.

Odd choice but good for the reds as he gets some experience.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Others will know more than me, but I think he is a fullback/wing. I know is bro is the schoolboys fullback and that Luke has played some club at fullback this year. He played for QLD on the wing this year.

15 Morahan (Wallaby tourist)
14 Hynes (Wallaby)
13 Ioane (Wallaby)
12 Turinui (Wallaby)
11 Chambers (NRL SUPER STAR)
10 Cooper (Wallaby)
9 Genia (Wallaby)

please ignore the forwards for now.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Noddy said:
14 Hynes (Wallaby)
13 Ioane (Wallaby)
12 Turinui (Wallaby)
10 Cooper (Wallaby)
9 Genia (Wallaby)

That is a good-looking backline and there is depth below.

I can rarely remember a time when there was such opportunity for young backs with class to step up and become permanent Wallabies. Ooops, I am digressing.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well its about fucking time we started showing the 7s guys that there is a pathway to Test honours. We seem to put teams into 7s rugby just for appearances sometimes, but there is talent there we need to exploit, especially as we only just seem to have settled on a decent backline and the depth ain't great.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Good Choice he's quick & tall will make a good future fullback not sure about his kicking game but this is definitely a pick for the future.

Hopefully Cam Shepherd can get back to full fitness.

T

TOCC

Noddy said:
Others will know more than me, but I think he is a fullback/wing. I know is bro is the schoolboys fullback and that Luke has played some club at fullback this year. He played for QLD on the wing this year.

14 Hynes (Wallaby)
13 Ioane (Wallaby)
12 Turinui (Wallaby)
10 Cooper (Wallaby)
9 Genia (Wallaby)

The QRU should send a note to Barnes and Gasnier, with the above list attached and a "sorry boys no room for you"...

just jks, we always could do with more tackling bags

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Noddy said:

14 Hynes (Wallaby)
13 Ioane (Wallaby)
12 Turinui (Wallaby)
11 Chambers (NRL SUPER STAR) Super star might be pushing it
10 Cooper (Wallaby)
9 Genia (Wallaby)

Morahan played quite a bit at fullback at TSS from memory. I do like the look of the backline though. Hopefully good things to come for the Reds next year.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Aint going to help us much when we are getting smashed in the ruck and maul and can't win a lineout to save ourselves. Not to mention Turinui sometimes being behind the pace, Cooper being erratic, Ioane being injury prone and Chambers being untested.

But apart from that, it looks great. (I'm not getting my hopes up until we start stringing some wins together.)

T

TOCC

well at least the average age of the Reds backline is now a highly respectable 21yrs old

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
i like morahan so don't get me wrong... but wouldn't lealiifano have been a wiser choice for the call up?

R

rugbywhisperer

Jets said:
Noddy said:
14 Hynes (Wallaby)
13 Ioane (Wallaby)
12 Turinui (Wallaby)
11 Chambers (NRL SUPER STAR) Super star might be pushing it
10 Cooper (Wallaby)
9 Genia (Wallaby)
Morahan played quite a bit at fullback at TSS from memory. I do like the look of the backline though. Hopefully good things to come for the Reds next year.

Actually I don't recall him ever playing full back at TSS. Checked with son No 2 who played with him since age 10 and he can't think of an instance either. BUT - he would be OK, he is very solid, has a good rugby head. Don't know about his kicking game though.
I expoect him to migrate to the centres in years to come though.

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
TOCC said:
Noddy said:

14 Hynes (Wallaby)
13 Ioane (Wallaby)
12 Turinui (Wallaby)
10 Cooper (Wallaby)
9 Genia (Wallaby)

The QRU should send a note to Barnes and Gasnier, with the above list attached and a "sorry boys no room for you"...

just jks, we always could do with more tackling bags

Could do without turnstile.
Slow and fat.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
he was our best back at the end of 2008 I reckon. Was looking very dangerous. And he is a natural leader with plenty of experience and rugby knowledge.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
what the hell has hangalangalaloo gotta do?

honestly, he plays well for the waratahs, outstanding for sydney uni and plays 10,12,15 why isnt he over there?

Status
Not open for further replies.