• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Munster v. Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
fatprop said:
Thomond78 said:
Can be difficult, though, Fat Prop; angular momentum is a bugger. :thumb

the first time

Not really; you just end up crabbing cross-field at that point, which doesn't do anything to help the attacking side get a right shoulder, it just cuts down the space on the openside without giving you an option on the short side.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Thomond78 said:
fatprop said:
Thomond78 said:
Can be difficult, though, Fat Prop; angular momentum is a bugger. :thumb

the first time

Not really; you just end up crabbing cross-field at that point, which doesn't do anything to help the attacking side get a right shoulder, it just cuts down the space on the openside without giving you an option on the short side.

It negates it and ref pulls it up and they try something else next time, that is what scrummaging is about

R

rugbywhisperer

Thomond78 said:
Excuse me - since when did a ref understand scrummaging...? :nta:
I gotta tell ya, I was a prop, played at the Woods, greatest position on the field, and now as a level 2 ref and a referee coach for the life of me I cannot fathom what is going on most of the time in a front row.

So on that basis, and having attended numerous referees education meetings with renowned scrummagers giving their two bits worth of advice, I doubt ANY referee is correct in his front row calls better than 30% of the time.

And for primarily that reason, I personally advocate a return to traditional laws and methods in scrummaging.
oh I can hear the cries from WH & S and the paramedics et all, what about the necks?

Call me a traditionalist, I prefer many of the laws the way they were in scrummaging and the tackle/ruck/maul.
Rugby is a violent contact sport. People playing rugby must take that on board when they agree to play. I am not advocating the introducting of outright violence however the scrum particularly has become a total ambarassment for the sake of safety.
Now someone wiser than I will have the actual injury numbers available, however I do not recall an injury count too worse than it is today.
And as for rucking - don't get me started.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
rugbywhisperer said:
Thomond78 said:
Excuse me - since when did a ref understand scrummaging...? :nta:
I gotta tell ya, I was a prop, played at the Woods, greatest position on the field, and now as a level 2 ref and a referee coach for the life of me I cannot fathom what is going on most of the time in a front row.

So on that basis, and having attended numerous referees education meetings with renowned scrummagers giving their two bits worth of advice, I doubt ANY referee is correct in his front row calls better than 30% of the time.

And for primarily that reason, I personally advocate a return to traditional laws and methods in scrummaging.
oh I can hear the cries from WH & S and the paramedics et all, what about the necks?

Call me a traditionalist, I prefer many of the laws the way they were in scrummaging and the tackle/ruck/maul.
Rugby is a violent contact sport. People playing rugby must take that on board when they agree to play. I am not advocating the introducting of outright violence however the scrum particularly has become a total ambarassment for the sake of safety.
Now someone wiser than I will have the actual injury numbers available, however I do not recall an injury count too worse than it is today.
And as for rucking - don't get me started.

How do we go about getting RW the gig as the Scarf's first international ref? O0

Montauban away this weekend; if we win, we'll probably get a home quarter. To be honest, I'm a bit twitchy about it; God knows how Montauban are going to approach it.

Status
Not open for further replies.