• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

RF, 12 teams is not viable. Doesn't matter who the 12 are.

T

Train Without a Station

We don't have the playing depth for an ITM or Currie Cup standard competition at 8 teams. 12 Would be minimally improved from the Shute Shield. Would completely defeat the purpose of this competition. Development standard and product would be shithouse.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
But the figure of 12 is only "expected".

It depends on the quality of the tenders, but if I were entering into an enterprise where I needed nine, ten or eleven participants I'd like to have more than twelve "expected" tenders.

If I wanted eight participants I'd like twelve definite tenders; so I think that eight (the minimum) is the right number of teams for the NRC in Year 1.

If we go with nine (WA, ACT, VIC, 2 X QLD, SU/Bal, Syd. nth, Syd. west, Syd. east) then with 12 tenders you are culling the bottom 25%. Maybe not totally ideal, but not too far away from it. The two bids I would feel uneasiest about would be Sydney west and Sydney east. I think Sydney west will get in as the expansion into Western Sydney is a long tem MUST HAVE. But I suspect that the ARU will have to put some serious money up to help it survive in the same way that FFA owned Western Sydney Wanderers to start it up. The Sydney east bid is the one that worries me, there appears to be a complete lack of professional proven performance in that JV.

I would love to see NSW Country get a go, but not in the first year. I believe that with good preparation they could be very viable. They should be the ninth or tenth team in 2015. And if the ARU can scrabble a bit of coin together a team for Adelaide should be next on the agenda for 2016, along with a QLD country team.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
We don't have the playing depth for an ITM or Currie Cup standard competition at 8 teams. 12 Would be minimally improved from the Shute Shield. Would completely defeat the purpose of this competition. Development standard and product would be shithouse.

T.W.O.S
you have great knowledge on what shouldn't happen.
Love to get your views on the following-
Do you think Australian Rugby is OK as is?
If it needs change, what would you suggest?
Do you think a 3T comp should happen?
If yes, how?
You say we are not up to ITM & Currie Cup standard - how do bridge the gap from SS to that standard without a comp?

Personally, I think the concept is good, we don't know how it is going to be implemented as yet so we can't assume or presume too much at all. I think the ARU had to do something. I just hope the financial model works.

AdelaideRugby84

Chris McKivat (8)
There are plenty of people in this forum who know a lot more than I do but how is the Greater Sydney team going to work? It's almost effectively a Western Sydney team plus Souths.

With the large geographical distance between the west and the Southern Districts areas it seems a bit strange to have Souths as part of that team.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
This is the best part of this bid.

I'd be tempted to support them purely based on watching some rugby games at Leichhardt Oval.

Hope the Sydney U/Balmain vs Rams game is on a Sunday afternoon.

The two bids I would feel uneasiest about would be Sydney west and Sydney east.

Eastwood, Parramatta and West Harbour have licence clubs as sponsors so the western Sydney team could be well funded if this support is translated into the Rams as well.

With the large geographical distance between the west and the Southern Districts areas it seems a bit strange to have Souths as part of that team.

It does seem strange and it feels like the team has been tacked on to the Rams as they could not come to a workable agreement with one of the other proposals closer to home.

T

Train Without a Station

T.W.O.S
you have great knowledge on what shouldn't happen.
Love to get your views on the following-
Do you think Australian Rugby is OK as is?
If it needs change, what would you suggest?
Do you think a 3T comp should happen?
If yes, how?
You say we are not up to ITM & Currie Cup standard - how do bridge the gap from SS to that standard without a comp?

Personally, I think the concept is good, we don't know how it is going to be implemented as yet so we can't assume or presume too much at all. I think the ARU had to do something. I just hope the financial model works.

I have never once said the comp shouldn't go ahead. What I have said is that since we are already supplementing Super Rugby squads with NZ, SA and PI players, we shouldn't be looking to have up to 6 sides more than Currie Cup and 5 more than ITM Cup in our equivalent competition.

It's more new players that have to be paid, it lowers the quality of the broadcast content, and since not every game is being broadcast it doesn't even potentially add more value.

We shouldn't be allowing SS Clubs with a recent history of on-field and financial mediocrity to go alone as teams

They are going down the right path, but it doesn't need to be bigger than Ben Hur to start. They can always add more teams. If they have too many there's too many ways to end up completely fucked.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Some news on the Canberra team........

Super Rugby assistant coach Dan McKellar will take charge of Canberra's National Rugby Championship side but the team's colours, name and home ground are yet to be decided.

The Brumbies on Friday handed in their tender document to the Australian Rugby Union detailing how the team would be funded.

It's understood there were 11 proposals for the NRC, including one from South Australia, with the bids showing how officials plan to foot the $300,000-$400,000 cost of running a team.

With the tender process finalised, the ARU will deliberate on which teams should be included in the final competition with an announcement expected in March.

The Canberra team is still negotiating what its name will be.

The ARU's Australian Rugby Championship lost $5 million in 2007 and was scrapped after one season.

The Canberra Vikings lost $75,000, one of the smallest deficits in the competition.

It is understood officials have considered reviving the Canberra Kookaburras while the Vikings Group and University of Canberra are set to be the major financial backers.

Viking Park also looms as the most likely venue but Canberra Stadium is still an option.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/dan-mckellar-to-coach-canberra-team-in-new-competition-20140214-32r7v.html#ixzz2tIlJTMrY

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
designed that two months ago! :p
BbQA4HoCQAIDTv9.jpg

on andrew jacksons comments, I think it would be a great move once established to add a team from adelaide and a few from brisbane. 14 team comp with that combination (of course with the negative squads [including dave beat, TWOS and I like to watch] stance on it being highly safe and sustainable) in the future would see a very strong and representative competition for our futures future.

T

Train Without a Station

6 NSW/ACT Teams
Thinking about it, 6 teams from NSW/ACT region makes a lot of sense… Lot of upside;

- Games within driving distance for players and fans.

- Keeps travel costs down and increases gate takings. Opposing fans are more likely to actually travel to away matches (flying to a game is hard). Ideal for early days of comp to keep flight costs down for players travel.

- Seems if this thread is anything to go by, should be some great derbies that spark interest and create the snowball.

- Might also be some potential there to retain some historic club names and link to the past!

- Country NSW gets a Guernsey

- Sydney logistically more central to Vict & QLD. Airfaires for total comp should be cheaper.

Expansion
When time is right, I’d like to see a few more teams in QLD, particularly Brisbane. If Brisbane and Qld country are to be the first cabs off the rank (and there is sense in this). A second Brisbane team should be next in line one would think. And sure ADL shouldn't be under-rated. Great little city Adelaide, it's where I'm writing this post from.

Similar to Sydney, Brisbane combos could be along the lines;
§ North Brisbane Brothers - Brothers/Norths/QUT Eagles/GPS Brisbane (Ballymore)
§ Brisbane Riverfire –Wests Bulldogs / UQ
§ Southside ;) - Souths/Sunnybank/Easts)

The problem is that 60% of the players that you want to be playing live in Perth, Melbourne and Brisbane. Then you have to consider that likely 40% of the next tier of players are in these regions to. So close to 50% of the players who would play, need to relocate. Therefore that cost needs to be covered by somebody. They sure can't afford to cover it for the "pie and a coke" type match payments which will likely be going around.

That being said, with this type of scenario, 5 NSW teams would work and 6 teams in total certainly would be a good starting point.

Andrew Jackson

Bob McCowan (2)
You're ahead of the game RF :cool:

Agree NRC expansion only when the time is right (ie profitable & future broadcast deal in place with more than 1 game a week, locations have been tested)...

T

TOCC

any expansion talk is nonsense, you dilute the playing pool and lower the standard of the product.. The competition will need to mature for at least 5 to 6 years before you could consider any expansions. Given foxsports are only broadcasting one game a week there is no financial incentive for extra games to be played if they aren't going to be broadcast.

If Foxsports start paying more for broadcast rights the first aim should be to increase players wages, not expansion.. This is all hypothetical anyway

The new competition should have no team from Adelaide, whilst I admire their determination it's just not financially viable feasible or practical.

QLD - 2 teams
NSW - 3 teams and then one each from Canberra, Perth and Melbourne.

Initially I'd even be happy to see 1 team from QLD and 2 teams from NSW and make it a 6 team completion..

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Totally on board with TOCC. It seems like it would be far easier to add teams later than to remove teams if the format does work. NSW Country could be great, but the issues involved in such a team means that it may be better looked at after a year or two when there is (hopefully) a more stable competition.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Seems like Perth, Melbourne & Canberra are defos & Sydney's 3 teams are starting to gel. Read somewhere that QRU are likely to get 2 licences, does anyone have any knowledge as to how they'll use them? I'm hoping 1 goes to a Logan/GC entity as, apart from it being "my" team, it would help rugby tap into to expat-NZ/ PI communities - ready-made player- & fan-bases IMO - which needs to happen before Brisbane gets a 2nd NRL team &/ or AFL gets more established via the GC Suns & aggressive move into the schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.