• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Bruce, I think not being an arrogant dickhead leads to respect of the referees. Ridiculing and abusing an official for making an error from a player implies that player doesn't make any errors themselves. Only an arrogant wanker would think that.

When playing Under 18's AFL I was taught not to challenge or insult an umpires decision by my coach on the basis that he'd never heard an umpire saying to a player "fuck that was a shit kick", or "that was a shithouse mark you dropped", so don't do the same to him. Couldn't think of a more fair way to look at it personally.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Not sure if this has come up yet but the North Harbour Rays is the official name of the team represented by Manly, Warringah, Gordon and Norths.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Good leverage and rivalry between the Rams and Rays from the old ARC. Will be interesting where they play from.
If we're on a nostalgia kick, surely the Rays would go back to Gosford. A logical sponsor for them would be a service station at Palm Beach or Avalon as Warringah fans would be reliving the car trips of 2007.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Knowledge of the Laws leads to respect for the Laws, and respect for referees..

Inconsistent refereeing leads to very scrappy matches as the players have no decent framework from which to guide the way they play the game. It is evident that some referees do not have the respect of some players given the amount of backchat, walking away, not listening and continued infringements that continue to happen as those matches go on. If they do respect the referee, then they have a poor way of showing it. The referee has to work on getting the respect back by demonstrating their ability to control the game consistently - they players are not going to just give it freely unless there is something to change that. That is the way pack animals behave.

If you think that the refereeing in this country is awesome and without fault, then just say so and we can just leave it at that. I personally think that it could be improved quite a lot - as I said previously, the SA referees seem to generally have few problems managing things and I would like our guys to be like them.

When playing Under 18's AFL I was taught not to challenge or insult an umpires decision by my coach on the basis that he'd never heard an umpire saying to a player "fuck that was a shit kick", or "that was a shithouse mark you dropped", so don't do the same to him. Couldn't think of a more fair way to look at it personally.

That is a great way to look at it. A simple "like" is not enough.

But humans are always going to get frustrated and react like dicks.

I do.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...her-step-forward/story-fngr8iii-1226832710333

THE marriage between arch-rivals Manly and Warringah rugby clubs has taken a big step forward with a tender submitted for the North Harbour Rays to enter a team in this year’s National Rugby Championship.
The fierce foes for the northern beaches have joined forces with Northern Suburbs and Gordon in the franchise,
And a lot of groundwork has been done ahead of with the announcement of the eight to 10 successful teams expected in mid March.
“The proposed chairman of the board is a very high profile rugby figure with a true rugby pedigree,” Manly rugby president David Begg revealed.
“And I am confident that a major sponsor will be announced shortly.”

In another significant development Begg said negotiations were well advanced in relation to where the new team will play it’s home games
It is hoped that at least some games will be played at Brookvale Oval.
“I think the spirit of co-operation between the clubs has been excellent,” Begg said.
“We all realise the future of our own clubs is largely based now on participating in this competition.
“Those clubs who aren’t involved in the competition are going to find it very hard to recruit players.
“We also think it is a much better model to enter into a joint venture with existing Shute eyes Shield clubs.”

Eyes have been raised by the proposal from Sydney University to form a joint venture with the Balmain subdistrict club.
Begg sad the head coach of the Rays would be decided in a transparent process.
He emphasised that right now Manly’s focus is on the Shute Shield and a special committee led by Mark McKenzie working on the NRC.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I hope they are, rugby needs a competitive side in the west. What I particularly liked about the northern clubs was that they had obviously talked it over beforehand and were able to announce at JV almost at the beginning of the process. This meant that there was little or no speculation (informed or otherwise) circulating.

Little or no ego also I'd suggest.

Particulary given the fact there's no love lost between the Marlins and the Rats nor between Gordon and Norths.

Well done to the powers that be at the 4 clubs.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

It is also pretty true that no referee (or umpire) ever changed his or her decision because a player complained about it (unless your name is Richie McCaw!) McCaw's ability to get along with referees should be required viewing and learning material for every budding player in every code, IMHO.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Like many things in life, they way you go about it has a big effect. Yelling/screaming/swearing are likely to lead to cards and a flow of penalties against you, while quiet questioning and observations in a polite and rational tone may get you much of what you want.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
It is also pretty true that no referee (or umpire) ever changed his or her decision because a player complained about it (unless your name is Richie McCaw!) McCaw's ability to get along with referees should be required viewing and learning material for every budding player in every code, IMHO.

Therein you miss the psychology of complaining to the ref. Refs don't change their decision, but it is entirely possible to influence their next decision. Next time you see a captain make a legitimate complaint to a referee, see what way the next decision goes. In a 50-50 call, I bet it goes in the favour of the complainant. IMO, this is especially true in scrums as we all know it can be a bit of a lottery there.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Therein you miss the psychology of complaining to the ref. Refs don't change their decision, but it is entirely possible to influence their next decision. Next time you see a captain make a legitimate complaint to a referee, see what way the next decision goes. In a 50-50 call, I bet it goes in the favour of the complainant. IMO, this is especially true in scrums as we all know it can be a bit of a lottery there.

I did not say that the referee cannot be influenced. I specifically mentioned Richie McCaw's ability to manage the referee.

If whinging about scrums is useful, somebody tell the Wallabies, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.