• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Most of the ACT games for the Pacific Cup are being played at RMC - thinking this maybe ACT's home ground when the 3rd tier starts considering Vikings are not touching it..?

Thought the ACT bid was a combined Brumbies/Vikings bid or am I mistaken?

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Thought the ACT bid was a combined Brumbies/Vikings bid or am I mistaken?

Thats what I heard also at the start - but have heard more recently that Vikings are not keen anymore - not sure the truth behind it - but would sort of explain why these ACT games are being played at RMC.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Act rugby had two options and I think for political reasons they might be going it alone. Hence rather tab resurrecting the Vikings brand they're investigating bringing the kookaburras back. I think...

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Act rugby had two options and I think for political reasons they might be going it alone. Hence rather tab resurrecting the Vikings brand they're investigating bringing the kookaburras back. I think.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
Hope it runs as the kookaburra, adds a bit of history to the comp

djeff

Allen Oxlade (6)
well its March, so whatever's going on we should be a little clearer soon. Apparently the approved clubs were to announced in early March. I will give them till the end of the week to get their act together.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
well its March, so whatever's going on we should be a little clearer soon. Apparently the approved clubs were to announced in early March. I will give them till the end of the week to get their act together.
So it has all been approved then, and the teams have the green light?

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
nothing i've heard has had the teams approved. deadline was in actuality 28 feb. mid march i was then told by others. would expect things friday week.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
U
nothing i've heard has had the teams approved. deadline was in actuality 28 feb. mid march i was then told by others. would expect things friday week.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
I was sure it was the 28th, wondering if it's the 29th Feb

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Most of the ACT games for the Pacific Cup are being played at RMC - thinking this maybe ACT's home ground when the 3rd tier starts considering Vikings are not touching it..?

I highly doubt it......... it's not enclosed...........

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
From a recent ruggamatrix podcast with Whittaker:

14th Feb tenders all submitted
NRC commission featuring: ARU, external consultants, RUPA, Foxtel, Foxsports, Super Rugby take three weeks to review tenders by 7th March. Announcement shortly after that.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks for posting that Batt.

It's a few weeks out of date now but there is some good stuff in it.

As I wrote in a blog, nearly two months ago now:

The official announcement was made five weeks before this deadline; one wonders why it was not more like five months before.

This lack of adequate notice and the short bid preparation period are the major criticisms of the handling of the NRC matter by the ARU, but I think Whitaker touched on it by indicating that they had to get Foxtel and Fox Sports on board first, and this took time.

I still think that this competition startup is a coup (if the NRC does, indeed, get up); and still think that the Baldric cunning plan of involving the broadcaster and offloading competition cost to them was because the Fox people wanted to forestall a bid from Free To Air TV when the renewal of the next SANZAR TV deal is done.

And I still think that there is a threat to the whole comp if the broadcaster exercises its option not to renew its participation after two years.

This matter and a few others are fraught with danger signs. Perhaps the NRC had better been delayed until 2015; but, like starting to climb a monster tree as a lad, there is the thrill of achieving something and you have to give it a go, dangerous or not.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Thanks for posting that Batt.

It's a few weeks out of date now but there is some good stuff in it.

As I wrote in a blog, nearly two months ago now:

The official announcement was made five weeks before this deadline; one wonders why it was not more like five months before.

This lack of adequate notice and the short bid preparation period are the major criticisms of the handling of the NRC matter by the ARU, but I think Whitaker touched on it by indicating that they had to get Foxtel and Fox Sports on board first, and this took time.

I still think that this competition startup is a coup (if the NRC does, indeed, get up); and still think that the Baldric cunning plan of involving the broadcaster and offloading competition cost to them was because the Fox people wanted to forestall a bid from Free To Air TV when the renewal of the next SANZAR TV deal is done.

And I still think that there is a threat to the whole comp if the broadcaster exercises its option not to renew its participation after two years.

This matter and a few others are fraught with danger signs. Perhaps the NRC had better been delayed until 2015; but, like starting to climb a monster tree as a lad, there is the thrill of achieving something and you have to give it a go, dangerous or not.

I'm not the only one that has mentioned the AFL and their Auskick program. I only hope when the NRC kicks off the ARU suggests / ensures respective NRC teams try a program targeting the mini's at schools.

AFL / League will have finished and it would be great seeing these young kids nagging to take mum and dad to watch rugby.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
There's two things here which are great.

one is that they mentioned more than just players in terms of development pathways but also administrators, staff, managers and coaches. It means that they are looking at innovative ideas at the base of it I think. This will serve rugby in the future.

second to the comments made I was talking to a school teacher friend of mine and she was talking about the swans support to coming into the schools and providing the kids with opportunities and what a great thing it was and how the new team being formed we were talking about could help rugby in doing a similar thing. So obviously there's cohesion and acceptance about that sort of idea of getting more involved with smaller kids and the schools from both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.