• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Interestingly the NRC will end up with likely too many teams due to the ARU doing exactly what they are complaining about the SARU doing, trying to appease all the regions of Sydney...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
“We’ve been lobbying for a long time for this competition so we’d be hypocritical to put in place any roadblocks,” RUPA boss Greg Harris told The Australian.
“We still have our reservations but the ARU runs the game and we’re not going to stand in its way.

o_O

Okaaaaaaay.... Up until you think you're not getting a big enough slice of the pie to cripple the sustainability of anything.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
So, it looks like the ACT team will be the Vikings. Also looks like it will be a very professionally run outfit. Will be interesting to see where the team will be based and where it will play its home games; based at UC with the Brumbies but play at Viking Park?

The Rays, which will be my second team, have indicated they will only recruit local players. Wonder if that means the curly question of the WA and Vic teams being loaded with Super players has been resolved?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
So, it looks like the ACT team will be the Vikings. Also looks like it will be a very professionally run outfit. Will be interesting to see where the team will be based and where it will play its home games; based at UC with the Brumbies but play at Viking Park?

The Rays, which will be my second team, have indicated they will only recruit local players. Wonder if that means the curly question of the WA and Vic teams being loaded with Super players has been resolved?

we will have to wait and see, but both the force and rebels have players on contract, so will presumably want to use them. my information is that about 15 melbourne "locals" will be required to fill out the list down here, so assume about 20 contracted rebels players will be in the sqaud. take out the NZ and japanese content and the 1 - 3 or 4 possible wallabies, and injuries etc, from the current list of 34, so i would say few, if any of the rebels players will be going back to their "old" clubs. remember as far as the ARU are concerned all the rebels now play for a Melbourne club side in the Dewar Shield, not SS or John Dent or Brissy Premier !

ps as an aside i was at a dinner with M Hawker last night. he is very bullish about the prospects of the NRC. the articles in todays papers, echoing his remarks. it seems the money is there from foxtel and an as yet un-named major sponsor, the bids seem financially sound. the numbers of clubs ? either 8, 9 or 10 !

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
@swingpass I like Bullish. It's positive.

my information is that about 15 melbourne "locals" will be required to fill out the list down here, so assume about 20 contracted rebels players will be in the sqaud. take out the NZ and japanese content and the 1 - 3 or 4 possible wallabies, and injuries etc, from the current list of 34, so i would say few, if any of the rebels players will be going back to their "old" clubs.
Maybe. What I'd say, though, is that a squad size of 30 rather than 35 has been bandied about, and injured players (unless another player is contracted to replace them) are still likely to be allocated.

Unless the ARU has given up on the idea of limiting the number of super players per NRC team, I'd reckon a few Rebels will go to Sydney (at least in year one).

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
we will have to wait and see, but both the force and rebels have players on contract, so will presumably want to use them. my information is that about 15 melbourne "locals" will be required to fill out the list down here,

So are Force and the Rebels playing in the NRC comp?
How does that work?

Just having fun, so long as it's managed fairly for the growth of rugby and NRC - cant wait for it to start.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
So are Force and the Rebels playing in the NRC comp?
How does that work?

Just having fun, so long as it's managed fairly for the growth of rugby and NRC - cant wait for it to start.

one of the the things the esteemed chairman of the ARU board said was that currently most of the assets, ie players, available to the super teams are under utilised in generating income. employed for the year, contracted for the year and only training/playing for about 8 or 9 months. so apart from proving a valuable step between club and super level, the NRC will hopefully eventually give the ARU more product to sell for no significant increase in costs.

as i said above we will have to wait and see whether or not there is an open market on which players can be traded/employed, or if the force and rebels super players not needed for the test arena are bound to the respective NRC teams.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
one of the the things the esteemed chairman of the ARU board said was that currently most of the assets, ie players, available to the super teams are under utilised in generating income. employed for the year, contracted for the year and only training/playing for about 8 or 9 months. so apart from proving a valuable step between club and super level, the NRC will hopefully eventually give the ARU more product to sell for no significant increase in costs.

as i said above we will have to wait and see whether or not there is an open market on which players can be traded/employed, or if the force and rebels super players not needed for the test arena are bound to the respective NRC teams.
I like it! In fact it's no exaggeration to say that I'm enthused.

"the assets, ie players"
"under utilised in generating income"
"more product to sell"
"an open market on which players can be traded/employed"

This is the sort of industrial-grade management speak that is propelling us inexorably to preeminence in world rugby.

It's so much more inspiring than the woolly thinking that prevailed back when rugby was a sport.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
ok, be good to see a quick finish here. 5 nsw teams with comments.

4 - manly, norths, warringah, gordon
organised as hell. leaders of how to go about a jv.

4 - west habour, parramatta, penrith, eastwood.
should by rights go back to being called greater western sydney if souths moving out of consortium.

1 - uni sydney. with balmain.
uni sydney pro ss team. can go it alone. good marriage with balmain.

1 - easts. with country nsw players.
easts will become a stronghold for country players. country alignment.

2 - southern districts, randwick
perhaps alignment with wooloongong?
team name suggestions anyone? bondi botany bay?
sons of beaches??

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)

"the assets, ie players"
"more product to sell"

This is the sort of industrial-grade management speak that is propelling us inexorably to preeminence in world rugby.

It's so much more inspiring than the woolly thinking that prevailed back when rugby was a sport.
to be fair to your sydney uni alumnus, my interpretation of what was said last evening, is that his and the board's major concern is how to generate sufficient revenue so that the ARU can give more to the grassroots and grow the game.

bruce, it still is a sport for most, just as club tennis and golf are. :)

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
If you all remember the good burgers of the East got rid of the Royal Agricultural show grounds so that they could have movie studio (more to their liking). They had it relocated to the country, where it should be, Homebush.

I tell you Eastern suburbs types don't like country folk and won't have them east of ANZAC parade, they won't be playing at Coogee oval.
stop trolling H. :) Most of us Easties have to like country folk otherwise we'd have pretty miserable Christmas's back home and we 'd be somewhat self loathing. You may want to head down to No.1 and check out the honour boards...

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
to be fair to your sydney uni alumnus, my interpretation of what was said last evening, is that his and the board's major concern is how to generate sufficient revenue so that the ARU can give more to the grassroots and grow the game.

bruce, it still is a sport for most, just as club tennis and golf are. :)

Umm... at the risk if provoking the Wrath of Ross, but I think we need to accept that Rugby at the top both in terms of the administration and playing ranks is a business. Like in all sports, it's only a game until money gets involved. It's true here as it is all over the world.

Whether we like it or not, those in charge of the game need to acknowledge and assess the best possible avenues to generate income for the game.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
biggest mistake would be to determine that community and business responsibilities aren't compatible however.

Agreed. What the goal of creating new or maximising existing revenue stream should be to benefit particularly the grassroots levels of the game and initiatives to draw in both more players and spectators.

Battalion

Allen Oxlade (6)
Articles flowing now...

http://www.irrigator.com.au/story/2...eam-up-for-national-rugby-championship/?cs=12

Canberra's National Rugby Championship team will set up an independent board for the new competition as the ACT Brumbies link with the Vikings Group and the University of Canberra in a three-way joint venture.
In a bid to minimise risk and spread the $300,000 cost of entering a team, the Brumbies, Vikings and university will team up when the competition gets the all clear from ARU officials.
The ARU board will meet on Friday and is expected to tick off on the third-tier competition, which is hoped to bridge the gap between amateur club rugby and Super Rugby.
The Canberra team will be known as the University of Canberra Vikings and will wear the Vikings' traditional red and white uniform with Brumbies' assistant coach Dan McKellar as the coach.
The team will also appoint an independent general manager while using the Brumbies' rugby program resources.
Interim Brumbies chief executive Doug Edwards will meet with university and Vikings officials on Friday to start finalising details.
"We've gone forward with our submission with the NRC committee on the basis it will be a separate entity [to the Brumbies]," Edwards said.
"It means there will be some financial contributors and there will be sponsors ... we think it's pretty doable without too much risk to any organisation.
"We're just getting our ducks in a row so we're ready to go when the ARU gives it the all clear. I think it's pretty exciting, it's exactly what Australian rugby needs."
The new Vikings team will give Canberra's best club players a chance to team up with Super Rugby players to help fast-track development and increase the Australian player pool.
The competition is expected to start in early August with up to 10 teams.
The ARU has also secured the conditional support of the Rugby Union Players' Association.
The Australian Rugby Championship was scrapped after one season in 2007 and lost $5million.
The Canberra Vikings played in the ARC and lost around $75,000.
To safeguard against potential big financial hits in the competition's inaugural season, the Brumbies, university and Vikings will pool resources.
"The plan is to form a totally separate entity and a separate board to run the organisation," Edwards said.
"That board will be made up of people from the Vikings, the university, the Brumbies and some people from outside so there's a bit of independence.
"They are all things we're working to try to get sorted in the next week or so."

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)

"the assets, ie players"
"more product to sell"

Can someone scroll through this blokes history and find out if he has ever described the rugby administrations as being amateurish in the way it is run and managed. I for one would like the game to be run professionally.

I do think the professional arm of the game should be run for the benefit of the amaetur and participation arm of the game. this can only be done if revenue is increased/maxmised.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
I like that the ACT NRC team will look to join with Uni of Canberra. Hopefully there can be a Sydney Uni type using of resources and Canberra can start to develop stronger talent.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I like that the ACT NRC team will look to join with Uni of Canberra. Hopefully there can be a Sydney Uni type using of resources and Canberra can start to develop stronger talent.

Uni of Canberra has done a brilliant job getting behind the Brumbies.. they built a sporting centre which is as good as any in the world...

I hope the team NRC does what the Brumbies do, and say you want to play for us you play in the John Dent Cup.. you join a club you buy into being a Brumby (ultimate club Goal) if not .. Pull a Hooper and go home .. we dont need you..

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Uni of Canberra has done a brilliant job getting behind the Brumbies.. they built a sporting centre which is as good as any in the world.

I hope the team NRC does what the Brumbies do, and say you want to play for us you play in the John Dent Cup.. you join a club you buy into being a Brumby (ultimate club Goal) if not .. Pull a Hooper and go home .. we dont need you..

Interesting thought Tomikin...where would the Brumbies be if all their Queensland and NSW players did decide to "pull a Hooper"?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Interesting thought Tomikin.where would the Brumbies be if all there Queensland and NSW players did decide to "pull a Hooper"?
We would struggle but if you wanna make the big show the brumbies are good place to be..

Canberra gets a lot of rubbish press about living there but ive lived all over the world and its a great place up the top... John Dent Cups good enough and well if your not buying in fob off..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.