• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I agree with the ARU's goals of this. But that's my point, under utilised resources could potentially be used. E.g. Nathan Grey wants to show his wares as a head coach? Perfect opportunity I would have thought. Could be part of his contract. NSWRU benefits because they have a stronger tie and control of 3rd tier development. Nathan Grey benefits because he gains further experience and career development. Rams gain because they're head coach is already paid by the NSWRU.

I wouldn't expect them to be stumping up cash, but saving on staff in measures like this could be equally beneficial.

But seriously, why knock the ARU over this? The clubs complained about the ARC because they were out of the loop. The ARU has given the clubs the opportunity - remember that. It was an opportunity, not an obligation - to take the lead on teams. That doesn't work for the clubs? Oh - they wanted the control without paying for it?
It wouldnt save them any money but it would get people like Grey experience and would be good for that.
I'll knock the ARU because you can't call the tune if you don't pay the piper.
But that's enough of that.
Let's see how it goes.

T

Train Without a Station

Well if they are paying a head coach it would have saved them money.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Eastwood members' newsletter says <snipped> there has been a very significant change in the governance arrangements with the Rams.
I'm not sure how the governance will work but I assume the ARU will need to be satisfied as to governance. I'd have thought that the proposal from the (then) Rams group of clubs set out a particular governance arrangement and that arrangement was accepted by the ARU. As indicated above, the new arrangements incorporate "a very significant change" and in the ordinary course of commercial arrangements any significant changes would trigger a re-examination by the body approving the "franchises". There hasn't been a lot of information from the Rams or the ARU as to exactly how these (very welcome) private investors will work with the existing clubs. Clearly some of that will be commercial-in-confidence but much of it won't. It's a brave new world for Rugby in Australia.

(fighting the urge to say "I, for one, welcome our new overlords")

T

TOCC

Given the scale of this competition in addition to the number of ego's that needed to be overcome it should be of no surprise that some teams are still struggling to establish their governance or MOU's.

To be fair, the competition has so far been established relatively smoothly, there hasn't been much opposition from club level or at least not on the scale that we experienced during the ARC, the teams are slowly coming together, the sponsors are slowly getting on board, all in all its actually looking rather positive.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Once Eastwood pulled the pin it was hardly surprising that the others would get cold feet.

Penrith and Parra are going to continue to fight the good fight, because NSW Rugby wants Western Sydney to grow, but can't really give it the support due to their better paying customers (though seriously Easts - paint your fucking change sheds).

But its going to be hard yakka year 1.

T

TOCC

Is there a single Rugby Union entity within Australia that has financial resources?

(This is meant to be a genuine question. Seriously)

Sunnybank Rugby has a a licensed clubhouse with 280pokies which gives them around $700'000/annum on top of the occasional grant for ground expansions/developments.

Rugby Is My Life

Herbert Moran (7)
Fair dinkum, can anyone with some balls at the ARU step up to the plate and release some info about the NRC? We're now a month away from launch and we still don't have a final draw available to the rugby public, along with confirmed team squads, etc.

How on earth can the new competition have a decent crack at being a success when the governing body driving it, lacks the vision to jump on the back of the Tahs success plus Force/Brumbies and the general good feeling around the Wallabies. Especially when one of your main competitors has had the Carney farce and now the betting scandal they're covering up until Origin 3 tonight comes and goes.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Fair dinkum, can anyone with some balls at the ARU step up to the plate and release some info about the NRC? We're now a month away from launch and we still don't have a final draw available to the rugby public, along with confirmed team squads, etc.

How on earth can the new competition have a decent crack at being a success when the governing body driving it, lacks the vision to jump on the back of the Tahs success plus Force/Brumbies and the general good feeling around the Wallabies. Especially when one of your main competitors has had the Carney farce and now the betting scandal they're covering up until Origin 3 tonight comes and goes.

I'm not sure who's running the show but my guess is they need to be concerned. If clubs are forking out a lot of money based on promises the ARU are making about this happening then they will need to accept at least some of the liability when it falls over.

Seriously, how hard is it to put together a draw once the teams are known? If they got this sorted they could start selling tickets. Money in the bank, surely?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think there will be a bit more information about next week when a few of the Super teams are out of action and the Tah's have a bye.

Brett McKay has done some good stuff on the Roar about the teams.

I think the issue around the draw is working out TV games and grounds. I'd say they have a draft but need to lock in locations on particular days.

T

TOCC

Does anyone have a summary of the colours that the teams will be wearing, this is one area which concerns me.. Brand recognition, this competition/teams should really reach out for some rather unique colours or designs to stand out and differentiate themselves from other competitions.

Cricket Australia had the right approach by dictating team colours as to avoid clashes, am i right in believing that the majority of NRC teams will have blue in their uniform somehow? At the very least their should have been some sort of deconfliction process.

BBL colours:
BBL%2003%20Captains.336x224.jpg

T

Train Without a Station

Sounds like QLD Country, the Stars, the Spirit and NSW Country are all quite similar in colour. That could pose a bit of an issue.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
When I get some time I'll give you some details. Melbourne are in pink and there is lots of blue as usual. Brett McKay on the roar has a decent breakdown

howyagoin

Ted Fahey (11)
Did the play for a "marquee player" ever come through for the NRC?
Heard Brad Thorn is floating around a particular area of NRC significance at the moment & is quite fit looking

T

TOCC

Did the play for a "marquee player" ever come through for the NRC?
Heard Brad Thorn is floating around a particular area of NRC significance at the moment & is quite fit looking

Is that one of the experimental laws, allowing Golden Oldies to play?

Status
Not open for further replies.