• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Nerdishness and Solar power

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I can't see why many similar projects would not work in Australia (apart from political will; instead Australia builds some more coal/gas-fired power stations):-

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Solar thermal hasn't been delivered at scale due to cost.
Cost has not come down because solar thermal is not delivered at scale.

:D

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
They were going to build one in western QLD, but it got canned because they were worried about the light in pilots eyes. This is the level of arguments we are dealing with.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
They were going to build one in western QLD, but it got canned because they were worried about the light in pilots eyes. This is the level of arguments we are dealing with.

I flew over one somewhere between Las Vegas and Los Angeles a few years ago. Very bright, but obviously, you could just not look at it. Also roasts thousands of birds a year apparently.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
PROJECT OVERVIEW

RayGen’s project proposes a power plant with renewable electrical capacity of 4MWAC and 50MWh storage delivered through a 5MW grid connection. It is budgeted to cost A$25 million and will be constructed and commissioned ready for operation in July 2022. The project will connect to the 22kV transmission line and feed into Red Cliffs Terminal Station.
The project will demonstrate two new technologies (PV Ultra & Thermo Hydro), that, combined, aim to disrupt the economics of solar-plus-storage while offering improved grid security and reliability.
The system is an Australian innovation that is designed and manufactured in Victoria. RayGen is considered a leader in technology innovation, having received a world record for solar system efficiency in 2014 in partnership with the University of New South Wales.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Interesting - various methods of heat storage or motion (e.g. turbine running on molten salt) are looking like good options and that sort of scale is pretty good if they can make it work

My mate is working on this project. Seems like a great future option for smaller communities, particularly those with a big dose of sunlight each year.

Particularly edge-of-grid communities which consume a disproportionate amount of human resources to maintain.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Pfitzy, you'll be excited to learn that I have solar at TBH Towers now. I plan on fully nerding out in due course when I can connect to the control system on the inverter and pull the data.

For now I'm happy that the panels are producing around 5kW in the middle of the day. Should be more than enough to run the house even with the aircon up full blast.