• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Super Rugby AU and NZ rules

namtrak

Tom Lawton (22)
I'd be interested in peoples thoughts?

Rules.jpeg

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't see the point, the goal is to beat the Kiwis in Super Rugby and then win tests

Playing different rules for the first half of the year doesn't help that

We continually think that rule tweaks will solve the interest factor when just playing good rugby consistently is all that need to happen

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If they are going to persist with extra time the golden try tweak is excellent. Last time we saw that it resulted in boring low risk rugby, trying to avoid conceding a penalty.

Should be the complete opposite where a try is required to win.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
To me I kinda like the attempt to innovate to make the game more attractive and grow the fan base. Lets face it we need to attract more fans to the game to grow it so if we have to innovate to do it on and off the field (ie entertainment etc) then all for it.

I appreciate btw others will have different views but that is ok as appreciate many in different sides of the fence on this issue which I do acknowledge and appreciate

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I'm fine with them. None of them are designed to fundamentally alter the nature of the game. More look to improve the 'flow' of the game. Which is something that I think is needed from an entertainment perspective. And that does matter. That's why I'm not too sure about the Captain Call in Super Rugby Ao. Adding another couple of opportunities to stop and drag out reviews seems a little counter-intuitive to me. But. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If they are going to persist with extra time the golden try tweak is excellent. Last time we saw that it resulted in boring low risk rugby, trying to avoid conceding a penalty.

Should be the complete opposite where a try is required to win.

I'm not convinced it will make a huge difference. Teams will still limit their risk and only play attacking rugby when they're in good field position.

They also need to clarify exactly how it all works.

Seemingly if you kick a penalty goal and go ahead by 3, the game continues but if no team scores a try within the 10 minutes of extra time, you will win.

On that basis, if you do get a shot at goal, surely you take it?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm not convinced it will make a huge difference. Teams will still limit their risk and only play attacking rugby when they're in good field position.

They also need to clarify exactly how it all works.

Seemingly if you kick a penalty goal and go ahead by 3, the game continues but if no team scores a try within the 10 minutes of extra time, you will win.

On that basis, if you do get a shot at goal, surely you take it?
I didnt realise they fucked it all up like that.

If it the penalty was off the table it would have a much higher chance of working.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
From Tom Decent, they've apparently now changed it:

Re 'Golden Try' for Super Rugby AU... final laws are now as followed: "If no try is scored in Super Time the match remains a draw ... no penalties or drop goals can be taken in Super Time".

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
OK, they changed it.

But admittedly while it was convoluted, having penalties still on the table does at least have some sort of reason.

It's moving too far from normal laws otherwise to ban shots at goal.

Having the penalty goal not immediately ending the game means a team conceding one MUST attack - priority one for the try or at a minimum for a DG or PG.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
OK, they changed it.

But admittedly while it was convoluted, having penalties still on the table does at least have some sort of reason.

Having the penalty goal not immediately ending the game means a team conceding one MUST attack - priority one for the try or at a minimum for a DG or PG.

I agree. I like the other method better.

Barring penalty and drop goals is very artificial.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
OK, they changed it.

Sorry?

The teams are equal scoring targeting a drop goal to avoid issues up to full time. The skill must still develop. Don't manage it then get attacking in extra time.

Alex Ross (28)
Golden try might as well be called golden line out mail. Odds of Brumbies taking out the title again just shortened

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Nothing wrong with a draw. Better than two teams trying not lose and win with the most pragmatic, risk-free method possible. Especially as these are tactics than won’t apply to any other comps.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
From Tom Decent, they've apparently now changed it:

Re 'Golden Try' for Super Rugby AU. final laws are now as followed: "If no try is scored in Super Time the match remains a draw . no penalties or drop goals can be taken in Super Time".

So if you are about to lose in extra time you can just commit any penalty to stop the try and go a man down but they cant kick a match winning goal?

This seems like it could lead to desperate teams doing desperate things to stop a loss.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
So if you are about to lose in extra time you can just commit any penalty to stop the try and go a man down but they cant kick a match winning goal?

This seems like it could lead to desperate teams doing desperate things to stop a loss.

Well, risk YCs and can just let teams march their way up the field to 5m maul.