• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
This current iteration and narrative of the All Blacks is like watching season 27 of blockbuster TV show The Walking Dead.

All your fave cast members are long gone and you don't care for the new arseholes. In fact, you barely give a shit if they win or lose or live or die.

You've seen the bedraggled cast make the same mistakes again and again and frankly you're only watching out of a sense of familiarity and obligation. Two senses. Not all your senses. Just 2 of the fuckers.

You sit through the turgid bullshit of telegraphed fuckups while daydreaming of a new broom to come in with new ideas and an open mind and reinvigorate the moribund franchise.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
So we're stuck with this walled garden World League nonsense. Presumably that rules out pretty much any touring for the AB's, but I'd love NZR to send the ABs XV on regular tours of South America and continental Europe. I'm sure Uruguay, Chile, Brazil and Argentina (probably their second team) would relish the opportunity to test themselves against a higher tier team outside of a RWC. Ditto Georgia, Germany, Spain, and Portugal in Europe.

Would surely also do good things for the ABs global brand too, which is something NZR/Silver Lake want to expand upon. Try and convert as many of these rugby fans into adopting the ABs as their second team and you'll have a lot more potential demand for your jerseys/merchandise and streaming platform...

EDIT: In Anton Segner you've got a ready made story/documentary for the Germans (and maybe wider Europeans? idk). Ditto Fabian Holland. Recruit a few Latin Americans for the Super Rugby franchises and there's some more stories.

Last edited:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ NZR & SARU are reportedly in talks to have a tour coinciding with B&IL tour of Aus, so there's that to look forward to & if it (a) happens & is (b) successful (which you'd think it would be) maybe we could do NZ v Aus when Lions are in SA & Aus v SA when they're in NZ?

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sounds good to me. Though would prefer Argentina/South America over Australia tbh. We play Australia enough and I'm beginning to suspect there's a subtle undercurrent of overexposure to NZ rugby amongst the local Australian rugby enjoyers.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So we're stuck with this walled garden World League nonsense. Presumably that rules out pretty much any touring for the AB's, but I'd love NZR to send the ABs XV on regular tours of South America and continental Europe. I'm sure Uruguay, Chile, Brazil and Argentina (probably their second team) would relish the opportunity to test themselves against a higher tier team outside of a RWC. Ditto Georgia, Germany, Spain, and Portugal in Europe.

Would surely also do good things for the ABs global brand too, which is something NZR/Silver Lake want to expand upon. Try and convert as many of these rugby fans into adopting the ABs as their second team and you'll have a lot more potential demand for your jerseys/merchandise and streaming platform...

EDIT: In Anton Segner you've got a ready made story/documentary for the Germans (and maybe wider Europeans? idk). Ditto Fabian Holland. Recruit a few Latin Americans for the Super Rugby franchises and there's some more stories.
Like your thinking there zer0, great way to spread the word of both rugby and ABs brand.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
So just trying to get an idea of the long-term potential forward options Robertson will have available from next season.

Hookers
George Bell (21, 6'0 + 108)
Asafo Aumua (26, 5'10 + 110)

Props
Tamati Williams (23, 6'4 + 134)
Fletcher Newell (23, 6'1 + 112)
Ethan de Groot (25, 6'3 + 135)
Tyrel Lomax (27, 6'4 + 127)

Locks
Fabian Holland (21, 6'8 + 118)
Zach Gallagher (22, 6'5 + 111)
Josh Lord (22, 6'8 + 106)
Sam Darry (23, 6'9 + 110)
Tupou Vaa'i (23, 6'7 + 118)
Cameron Suafoa (25, 6'5 + 116)
Scott Barrett (29, 6'6 + 118)

Flankers
Peter Lakai (20, 6'1 + 105)
Anton Segner (22, 6'4 + 108)
Dominic Gardiner (22, 6'3 + 108)
Cullen Grace (23, 6'3 + 107)
Samipeni Finau (24, 6'5 + 115)
Brayden Iose (25, 6'2 + 100)
Dalton Papali'i (26, 6'3 + 104)

May also be a few listed locks who could fill in at blindside either as a cover or as a full-time switch.

Eights
Hoskins Sotutu (25, 6'4 + 112)
Luke Jacobson (26, 6'3 + 107)
Marino Mikaele-Tu'u (25, 6'4 + 113)
Ardie Savea (30, 6'2 + 102)

Some listed flankers could also/do also play at Eight.

Hooker would be the immediate concern, followed by squad depth at prop. On the other hand, there's a bucket load of potential options at lock and amongst the loosies.

Having Cotter at the Blues is a big bonus for the Blues candidates. I think/hope Suafoa will continue to flourish as he already likes to hit things hard, and doesn't seem to mind sticking almost entirely to pure grunt work. Could also make or break Sotutu's chances, as Cotter got the Fijian forwards to muscle up big time.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
Looking at previous All Black XVs etc I would suggest you could add the likes of Akira Ioane, Billy Harmon, Ah Kuoi and Lio Willie to the loose forward mix.

Guys like Simon Parker and K Boshier had huge NPCs but it's unclear how much Super Rugby game time they will get.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Absolutely insane that Leicester is only 23 and already going overseas.

for 2024: 11/14: Telea/Jordan 15. McKenzie?
Who's 22 and 23?

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
Absolutely insane that Leicester is only 23 and already going overseas.

for 2024: 11/14: Telea/Jordan 15. McKenzie?
Who's 22 and 23?

McKenzie will be 10. Jordan most likely 15. Telea one wing and Narawa/Reece fighting it out for the other wing.

Perofeta likely in line for 22 shirt and 23 could be any one of ALB, Levi Aumua, Billy Proctor, Quinn Tupaea, Havili etc etc

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
McKenzie will be 10. Jordan most likely 15. Telea one wing and Narawa/Reece fighting it out for the other wing.

Perofeta likely in line for 22 shirt and 23 could be any one of ALB, Levi Aumua, Billy Proctor, Quinn Tupaea, Havili etc etc
I reckon you might see Perofeta jump McKenzie for the 10 jersey. Just more of an assured player, McKenzie at 10 was pretty poor in Bled 2 this year. Not sure his razzle dazzle works for test rugby.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In looking ahead it's worth noting that Tele'a & Reece both turn 27 next year so if history is any guide may not be around too much longer unless they move into the midfield.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Locks
Fabian Holland (21, 6'8 + 118)
Zach Gallagher (22, 6'5 + 111)
Josh Lord (22, 6'8 + 106)
Sam Darry (23, 6'9 + 110)
Tupou Vaa'i (23, 6'7 + 118)
Cameron Suafoa (25, 6'5 + 116)
Scott Barrett (29, 6'6 + 118)

Just me or somewhat underwhelming?