• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
No not really, if he doesn't sign multi year deal for NZR he isn't eligible for ABs. I think we will find that (supposedly the goat of coache, according to somes) will be involved now as he the coach and is involved in who gets contracts.
I still say I stoked the more depth we have the better in my opinion, I would have many more back if I could, I want there to be competition for AB places so coach can keep pressure on players.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
IMG_9539.jpeg

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Perofeta and McKenzie are the immediate options. Longer term it's a throw down between Zarn Sullivan, Cam Millar, and maybe one of the younger Crusaders pivots.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No official itinerary yet but apparently NZR's social media accounts are showing travel packages for an up to 15-Test season incl 2 in SA & a 6-match EOYT v Japan & the 6N minus Wales. Guess they've gotta make up for lost revenue but fark me that's a tall order for season 1 of a new cycle.

Edit: 15 probably means only 2 x Bledisloes unless the 3rd is played in Europe in lieu of a 6N opponent (Japan is one of the two already-announced fixtures, the other being England).

Last edited:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Solomon Alaimalo has signed with the Wests Tigers NRL side.

A player who never reached his potential post-schoolboy & became a bit of a journeyman either side of his break from the game while he worked through some mental health issues. He's 28 in a fortnight so a switch to Loig is probably a better move for him than say France D2.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Solomon Alaimalo has signed with the Wests Tigers NRL side.

A player who never reached his potential post-schoolboy & became a bit of a journeyman either side of his break from the game while he worked through some mental health issues. He's 28 in a fortnight so a switch to Loig is probably a better move for him than say France D2.
Quite almost sad isn't WOB, a young un who looked at times like the sky was the limit, and then mental issues etc, he never came back the same.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Caleb Clark doing some pre season work with South Sydney. Does say it's about "igniting his form ahead of next year's season with the Blues".

Off contract at the end of 2024 and said "he had long dreamed of switching codes".

Don't know how much or how long he is doing but I think it will definitely benefit him in regards to fitness and defence. Is participating in the opposed work and Souths do have a lot of elite backline talent. Seems a lot more involved than Barrett doing skills work with the Storm in the past.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tamati Ellison added to AB coaching setup as a "contact skills coach" but will remain CruSadists assistant coach.

Also added as "performance coach" is Wayne Smith & there's a new manager in Paul McLaughlan who "has previously managed the Highlanders & Wallabies".

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
"New Zealand Rugby (NZR) will proceed with a $62.5 million capital raise under its existing Silver Lake underwrite after sealing agreement with its voting members and 26 provincial unions.

"The capital raise will lift Silver Lake's stake in NZR's commercial arm, known as 'NZR Commercial', to 7.5 percent from 5.71 percent, NZR said in a statement.

"NZR agreed to sell the initial stake to Silver Lake for $200 million in February after securing agreement from the players' union.

"The governing body said it had considered institutional investors for the capital raise but decided the Silver Lake underwrite "provided certainty".

" "NZR will now conclude the capital raise process which has already seen investment provided to NZR Commercial and stakeholders, including over 450 community rugby clubs, as well as the rebuilding of NZR reserves post COVID-19," NZR said.

"NZR said the capital raise and the establishment of a 'Legacy Fund' with committed capital of $60 million had been the final two outstanding elements of the initial Silver Lake deal.

"NZR said the fund would be set up as an endowment to further grow the game from the "grassroots up" and support annual grants for community rugby initiatives."

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The 22 AB from RWC squad still in NZ are in a two-day camp in Auckland, Razor's first as AB coach.

Players in camp: Jordie Barrett, Scott Barrett, Ethan Blackadder, Finlay Christie, Caleb Clarke, Ethan de Groot, David Havili, Rieko Ioane, Luke Jacobson, Will Jordan, Anton Lienert-Brown, Tyrel Lomax, Damian McKenzie, Emoni Narawa, Fletcher Newell, Dalton Papali'i, Cam Roigard, Samisoni Taukei'aho, Mark Tele'a, Ofa Tu'ungafasi, Tupou Vaa'i, Tamaiti Williams.

Coupla interesting quotes from Razor's standup:

"Robertson says he won't name his captain until the All Blacks form ahead of their first tests of the year after Super Rugby."

"Pressed on whether he was working behind the scenes to ensure Richie Mo'unga, now playing in Japan on a 3-year-deal, would play for the All Blacks, Robertson said he had put a case forward and was keeping an open mind."

Last edited: