• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I really don't think there's much between Aumua and Taylor.

Both have lineout wobbles. Aumua at this stage of his career has the greater upside but Taylor has been there and done that before whereas Aumua has never really shone at test level in his limited chances.

Aumua has had a very good NPC but he's had very good NPCs before and not kicked on.

I suspect Foz prefers Taylor and his 70+ test experience.
Also think Taylor is a good scrumming hooker, maybe best of the lot. It's something that is too often overlooked, it's not just props in front row who have to put pressure on other front row.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ TLDR: final year optional, can take a break or go play in Japan instead of SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) but needs to be back for NPC.

Edit: there's now a Hurld article on the subject:

Gregor Paul: NZ Rugby should never have given Jordie Barrett a sabbatical clause​

Hoping good bloke/ dickhead cnut @zer0 can show us peasants what's behind the paywall...

Last edited:

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
My home PC with the bypass is being tinkered with by the hardware nerds atm and cbf installing the bypass on the laptop or work machines.

But, using the less sophisticated Ctrl + Shift + I method, I can see that punisher Paul's piece boils down to his claim that "in recent years there no evidence of the player having benefitted from their time off in a way that can advantage NZR, mostly because the sabbatical is no longer used as a voyage of professional and personal discovery, but a money grab in Japan". Though he makes this claim without acknowledging that these sabbaticals may be the major reason for some players staying in NZ at all; players staying in NZ being something that most sensible people would consider to be advantaging NZR.

It's a pain in the bottom to copy/paste this way, so will not be bothering. But that quote sums it up.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nepo Laulala has signed a one-year extension with NZR & Loss Bleus. Off o/s after that, one assumes. Currently on 42 Test & 99 Super Rugby appearances (has also repd for Tribe & CruSadists).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Good news is Tupou Vaií has signed up until end of 2025. I thinking we will have a goos squad of young locks around, Vaií ,Lord, Holland, Gallaher , etc, and stillikes of Barrett, Strange, PPP with a few good young props, I am feeling pretty good about future.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tupou Vaa'i has now re-signed with NZR & Tribe through to 2025. Locking stocks on the improve but I'd like to see one or two "short" locks who carry & clean out like a taller, faster prop rather than bigger, slower 6 ("faster" & "slower" being relative terms of course).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Seems ABs are without a few players for some of NH trip, Barrett brothers not going as yet, family bereavement, Sam W picked up an ijury so maybe out up until Welsh test, and Fakatava's knee is playing up so he out, and Will Jordan crocked.
D Mac and Brad Weber moving up to ABs, not sure about Barretts, think they joining after or at Japan, and whther they are taking cover for Sam W

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Seems ABs are without a few players for some of NH trip, Barrett brothers not going as yet, family bereavement, Sam W picked up an ijury so maybe out up until Welsh test, and Fakatava's knee is playing up so he out, and Will Jordan crocked.
D Mac and Brad Weber moving up to ABs, not sure about Barretts, think they joining after or at Japan, and whther they are taking cover for Sam W

Tuipulotu is in for Whitelock (sounds like Whitelock will be sweet for test 2 v Wales).

Aumua in as cover for Coles who has a niggle (doesn't he always?).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Tuipulotu is in for Whitelock (sounds like Whitelock will be sweet for test 2 v Wales).

Aumua in as cover for Coles who has a niggle (doesn't he always?).
And when Colesy hasn't got a niggle, he enjoys a bit of it on the field. ;)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Over the weekend ASmith tweeted that he's "off on my last EOYT" pretty much confirming what everyone suspected i.e. he's out of here post-RWC.