• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Thanks. I don't recall seeing that article before, but doesn't surprise me that smooth brain Gregor Paul seems to be the fundamental source.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Thanks. I don't recall seeing that article before, but doesn't surprise me that smooth brain Gregor Paul seems to be the fundamental source.
In fairness to Paul (I feel dirty now), I don't think he ever stated there was a clash between the too, just the above that Schmidt wouldn't work with Robertson at that stage out of loyalty to Foster:
"My understanding is that Joe said he felt very uncomfortable about doing it because his loyalty was to Ian Foster. He didn't really like being asked to go and talk to another potential head coach while he was working with the incumbent," says Paul.
It does sound like he was doing the podcast rounds at that point though, so it's very easy for something like to that morph into something different when everyone is relying on memory of spoken reference not quickly checked

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Schmidt came in as he friends with Foster, and Foster (and NZR) had tried to get him in setup straight after 2019 WC, Foster reckons it was Schmidt's wife that convinced hin in end.
I know you not a Joseph fan zer0, but as I have said a number of times I would be real keen on him getting the gig.
I doubt whether O'Gara would come into AB coaching set up with Razor anyway, he's already a successful head coach and see him positioning himself to get a head coaching job, or going into Irish set up to get that job in end. I wouldn't be totally upset if it was decided Razor missed job that he decided to go overseas and broaden his experience, not say. Smith won't be coming back for anymore gigs in high level coaching, though I could see Deans working with young players/coaches not being bad.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Imagine sending 50% of your home games for the year to Penrose. There's literally nothing of value between the Fijian dessert shop at the edge of Onehunga and Sylvia Park. Just take it out of Auckland. The world won't end if there's no test match there for one year.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Imagine sending 50% of your home games for the year to Penrose. There's literally nothing of value between the Fijian dessert shop at the edge of Onehunga and Sylvia Park. Just take it out of Auckland. The world won't end if there's no test match there for one year.
Yep but they can't take ot to Wellington (or any other stadiums of reasonable size) either, the Women's soccer club has all the venues. They not allowed to play in any of them for a month before the WC.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I reckon it will because Foster has told them he not standing, so no damage to team etc with undermining existing coach? Like when Hansen said he going before last one?

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
Is he trying to tip their hand before he jumps to Fiji?

EDIT: Just kidding (might be a little nudge at our kiwi brethren)

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I'm confused as to the state of play: Robertson is going to be coach, why is he forcing NZ's hand and antagonising them (or vice versa)? Weird relationship for a union and a coach for the next four years.

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
I'm confused as to the state of play: Robertson is going to be coach, why is he forcing NZ's hand and antagonising them (or vice versa)? Weird relationship for a union and a coach for the next four years.
Could it be he's got an inside running that he's not going to be the coach, so trying to get something out there before he looks for another opportunity? (Seriously this time)

But I don't see Robertson as being that kind of coach

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Cantabs already feuding with head office in February?

The end of the Evil Empire cometh!

giphy.webp

EDIT: Surely this joyus speculation/good vibes will surely stir Dismollocus from his offseason slumber in the catacombs beneath Pitcairn.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Vern Cotter apparently a strong candidate for the now vacant Leicester HC role. A shame he couldn't be brought back to NZ.