• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Vern Cotter apparently a strong candidate for the now vacant Leicester HC role. A shame he couldn't be brought back to NZ.
I would be disappointed if he has walked out on Fiji to take up the gig, not what I expect of a coach.

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)

The Sydney Roosters have pulled off a huge coup, signing a New Zealand rugby union prospect on a development deal.

According to WWOS, Kiwi officials are furious with the Tricolours after they were able to lure 20-year-old Tavita Henare-Schuster across the ditch.

Henare-Schuster reportedly fits a similar mould to the Roosters prized talent, Joseph Sua'ali'i.

According to Henare-Schuster’s manager Adrian Lepou, it took only 15 minutes for Roosters officials to decide they wanted to recruit him.

“The rugby union people had developed Tavita over the past few years and knew they had something very special on their hands,” Lepou said.

“But at the end of the day, he wanted to try his hand at league and when the Roosters came calling, it was an easy decision.

“They played him in a trial before Christmas and after 15 minutes they took him off the field.

“When I asked them why, they said, ‘We’ve seen enough - we want him’.”

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ never heard of him. Google tells me he's from the Horrorcanes region so @Dan54 may have.

Meanwhile Dane Coles has announced that he's retiring at the end of the year. No mention of an overseas contract, just an old-school retirement.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Me neither WOB, think he made the original 45 man squad for Canes under 20, but don't remember hearing anything since then, except I think he played a bit of league, so take that as a bit of league publicity stuff., as if he was on NZR radar we would of heard something before now.

And as for Colsey, I read he's retiring from pro rugby, I see a season of heartland championship coming up for Horowhenua next year. You read it here first!!

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
C3449807-35A4-4743-9AF4-A503ED56AB90.png

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
I have a dead serious question about the future of NZ Rugby.

What are these lads eating? Is a traditional Kiwi food?
20230214-074011.jpg

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ take a pre-cooked sausage, put it on a stick, dip it in batter then deep fry it et voila! Battered hotdog. Best served straight from the deep fryer with lashings of Watties t-sauce per the demo above. There are people who rate takeaway joints by the quality of their battered hotdogs.

Edit: it appears zer0 may be one of them...

Last edited:

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
He's about to turn 26, which is when AB strike wingers are sent to the Japanese rugby club up-state where they can run free in the open space forever.

EDIT: Addendum to the above.

Joe Rokocoko. Born June, 1983. 26 in 2009. AB career ended 2010.
Julian Savea. Born August, 1990. 26 in 2016. AB career ended in 2017.
Rieko Ioane. Born March, 1997. 26 in 2023. AB career ended in ???

Probably at least part of the reason why he tried to noodle his way into the midfield, and why someone like Clarke may do the same from next season, if he's paying attention.

This is all, of course, presuming that a report from an Australian website is accurate. The Roar is not a normal source for news like this...

EDIT 2:
Ioane, speaking after the Blues wrapped up their pre-season with a 47-33 defeat to the Chiefs on Friday night in Pukekohe, said a report that he had signed with the Ricoh Black Rams on Australian website The Roar was “news to me”. “I haven’t seen anything – that’s news to me,” said the 59-test 25-year-old who has nailed down the spot as the All Blacks’ first-choice centre. “Was that before we got on the bus?"

Last edited: