• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand v Australia - Auckland - 23 August 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Yes I agree we have a chance and if we win this will go pretty close to being #1 on all time favourite memories but its Eden Park.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
You can talk hoodoos and doom and gloom all you want but at the end of the day, if we want to be the best team in the world we have to go over there and pick them apart like they have done to us so many times on home soil.

The All Blacks have played 3 extremely average tests this year out of 4, who says they won't do it again?

Both teams will lift another gear, but I think we will have an advantage if nonu/ kaino are out and looking at our trajectory, we have gone from a flogging, to a respectful loss, to a draw, so doesn't that mean we should win next !?!?

Either way, go the wobs!

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I'd be surprised if McKenzie makes any changes apart from bringing back TPN if he's fit.

Would probably bring in McCalman over Higgers if he's not seen as essential as the backup lineout caller.

i agree with the first part, but McCalman over Higgers?! Higgers made real impact when he came on. i see no reason he should be dropped for McCalman, who doesn't have a great reputation for impact off the bench at test level

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
i agree with the first part, but McCalman over Higgers?! Higgers made real impact when he came on. i see no reason he should be dropped for McCalman, who doesn't have a great reputation for impact off the bench at test level
Halfway through the replay now. My opinion at the game was that Higgers didn't have a huge impact but also fairly drunk by that point.

Will possibly change my opinion in 40 minutes time ;)

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I would think Messam will come in for Kaino, which is an outstanding replacement and Conrad returns next week so a 12/13 of Fekitoa/Smith will still be strong. Despite the quality of the reinforcements, we will probably benefit from having those player out. Nonu in particular is always a stand out for the All Blacks at Eden Park, so breaking up his partnership is useful.

If TPN is fit next week, our team will match up very well.

I think Link will go for consistency and will try to avoid any major changes if possible. The team didn't lose after all. The only possible changes to be considered are:-
- TPN (if fit) in for Hansen
- Sio (if fit) in for Cowan
- AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 14, Kuridrani to 13, McCabe to Bench (unlikely)
- Foley to 10, Beale to Bench (unlikely)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I would think Messam will come in for Kaino, which is an outstanding replacement and Conrad returns next week so a 12/13 of Fekitoa/Smith will still be strong. Despite the quality of the reinforcements, we will probably benefit from having those player out. Nonu in particular is always a stand out for the All Blacks at Eden Park, so breaking up his partnership is useful.

I didn't think Fekitoa was very convincing.
Is there someone they can play in their traditional 2nd 5/8 role at 12?

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Halfway through the replay now. My opinion at the game was that Higgers didn't have a huge impact but also fairly drunk by that point.

Will possibly change my opinion in 40 minutes time ;)

i rewatched this morning. I thought Higgers gave just what we wanted from him in the final 15 minutes. Dynamic with ball in hand, moved the ball quickly, got over the advantage line in all of his runs, pushed like a demon in the scrums.

McCalman is arguably still a better starting option due to his work rate, but he's not really an impact player imo

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
i rewatched this morning. I thought Higgers gave just what we wanted from him in the final 15 minutes. Dynamic with ball in hand, moved the ball quickly, got over the advantage line in all of his runs, pushed like a demon in the scrums.

McCalman is arguably still a better starting option due to his work rate, but he's not really an impact player imo
This is the nub of it, I think. If impact is required, I would stick with Higginbotham too.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah, Higgers was fine. Had a few decent involvements. He should retain his bench spot.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Cyclo, so when 'non-losses' = undefeated, you're saying no one cares?

Therefore, is there little significance in the fact that the Wallabies have been undefeated in 8 (or is it now 9) matches? Robbie would have cared!

Status
Not open for further replies.