• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand v Australia - Auckland - 23 August 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Someone might care. Personally, it's about winning, rather than "not losing".
The ABs were going for a record number of wins against Tier 1 opposition, which has now ended. That's all I was talking about.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I have seen a few posts by people suggesting the All Blacks were bad last night and therefore a different team will turn up at Eden Park.
But I've watched the game again and I don't think they were 'bad'..there's just this perception that they were because we nearly beat them.
They defended terrifically and they had limited attacking opportunities because we had the ball 65% of the time..and they got busted a few times for things they have been getting away with for the past decade.
But that's all different to being 'bad' and our boys deserve some credit and should go into this game with the psychological edge..the 'hoodoo aside!

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
they got busted a few times for things they have been getting away with for the past decade.

If McCaw had been yellow carded for offside, maybe. I thought Crocket was unlucky, he just mistimed his tackle. if he had held back half a second he would have caught the halfback ball in hand and it would have been fine.

Barrett's card is not that clear cut either. I also thought there were a few dodgy calls against the WBs.

The ref ruined what would have been a good game

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I can't say Beale was awful but I think the bullet must be bitten. From the moment Foley came on there was organisation happening.

Correct. If we all think back to the Foley/Beale combination at the Waratahs, it failed miserably when Beale was the dominant playmaker and succeeded fantastically when Foley called the shots most of the time and Beale adopted a second playmaker role.

If link wants to start Beale then it should be with Foley at 10. It's actually a strange thought process to pick Beale on his Waratah form, but in a different position and without the other half of the successful combination.

I'm not in any way criticising To'omua either - I'm a big fan of his. It's just I don't think you can suddenly throw him and Beale in those positions and expect it to work from game one. Again looking back to the Waratahs, it took a few weeks for Foley and Beale (and Cheika) to work it all out. The Wallabies don't have that long to work things out.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
agree Crockett was unlucky but you were better off without him! but Barrett was a clear professional foul..he had to get carded, no option for the ref..

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Cyclo, so when 'non-losses' = undefeated, you're saying no one cares?

Therefore, is there little significance in the fact that the Wallabies have been undefeated in 8 (or is it now 9) matches? Robbie would have cared!

I don't think he's saying that. The record was for consecutive wins, not the most consecutive games being undefeated. You're comparing apples and oranges.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
That is what I would be doing. Even if Kuridrani and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) sometimes swapped positions at times. I think McCabe was ok but lacks both speed and strength in contact to be the finisher we require.

Put Cummins, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Kurindrani outside of Charles (who did pass too early) and there was a much better chance of a try being scored. As it was McCabe didn't even get close.
For the Brumbies McCabes seemed quick last night at times I thought he was a snail.

I think keep White because getting your start in Nz for Phipps is a hiding to nothing.. I do believe the reserves should get more time though.. I think White slowed a fair bit mid second half and an earlier injection of pace to the game could have helped

Although We should keeps slips on all game and if he goes down injured Alexander on at LHP.
Cowan gets on only if theirs a disaster.. We missed Sio..

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
agree Crockett was unlucky but you were better off without him! but Barrett was a clear professional foul..he had to get carded, no option for the ref..

Not sure we were better without him especially when he was dealing it to Kepu at scrum time and tackling around the park well.

The non discussion of Hooper not getting his marching orders when the ABs were hot on attack is deafening :)

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yes, but on the other hand, I think this says it best:

I think for the team and the fans have White start give him the chance to shine, if he does or doesn't Phipps gets the last 30 mins.

But drop White, Phipps goes to rubbish you got 2 HB's that have just had shitters and what you change back ?

If White has another average game and Phipps comes on you have given White the chance and Phipps starts.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
1. Slipper
2. Charles
3. Kepu
4. Carter
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. White
10. Beale
11. Horne
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

Tell White to pick his moments to box kick and to not to use it when we're outside our 22! Beale, as will White will improve for the experience - got to back them for this week at least.

By playing AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the wing, we strengthen our back line overall. The To'omua-Kuridrani axis will not let us down in defence, even against a returning Conrad Smuth.

Expect the All Blacks to improve their setpiece immeasurably this week, so our pack will need to lift their improvement as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.