• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand v Australia - Auckland - 23 August 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
1. Slipper
2. Charles
3. Kepu
4. Carter
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. White
10. Beale
11. Horne
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

Tell White to pick his moments to box kick and to not to use it when we're outside our 22! Beale, as will White will improve for the experience - got to back them for this week at least.

By playing AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the wing, we strengthen our back line overall. The To'omua-Kuridrani axis will not let us down in defence, even against a returning Conrad Smuth.

Expect the All Blacks to improve their setpiece immeasurably this week, so our pack will need to lift their improvement as well.

Agree with most of this. Kuridrani would have been handy last Saturday a player who can bend the line and get us some go forward. Hard on AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) but he can move back to 13 after Speight becomes available.

White or Phipps, I don't really mind either way.

I support Foley over Beale. It is ridiculous for a Test player too be so weak into contact.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Get forwards in front of the ball, tell White to vary it up between box kicking himself and giving the kick exit duty to To'omua and Beale. Problem solved.

If White doesn't kick, you only give the All Blacks chasers fewer options to charge down. Next week, the majority could be berating To'omua or Beale for being charge downed.

I'm sure White will be working doubly hard in kicking practice this week.

put whoever you like in front if its box kicks in our own 22: will we kick off from the 22 line to save time?

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Australian Cricket Team - wins ashes after three series defeats.

New South Wales Blues - wins State of Origin series after eight years.

Sydney University Rugby- don't make the Shute Shield Final. First time in 10 years.

This year is meant to fuck up the record books. Wallabies for the win at Eden Park and Bledisloe!

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
If its dry (I know I know it's Eden Park) I would like to see Phipps start and agree that if Tomane is not available that Kuridrani should come back in at 13 for now.
I would also consider starting Skelton and giving him 40-50 minutes to help get us over the advantage line and to give us some extra muscle at the breakdown and in the scrum.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
To gain the Bledisloe Cup, we need to win both of the remaining games.

If we drop one of them, the series will be tied and The Darkness, as current holder, will retain it.

Big ask to effectively win all three games in the series to get our hands on the Bledisloe.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Think Beale was only average, some might say poor. Foley should get the spot. Maybe AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to the wing.

Hopefully Link has a word or three to Hooper about taking points when they are on offer. We lost the game due to a poor captaincy decision. No question !

Also would hope Robbo gets a brief to cover LHP in the last 10-20 when Slipper comes off. Pek wasn't that good.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Think Beale was only average, some might say poor. Foley should get the spot. Maybe AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to the wing.

Foley was only average against France who were far inferior opposition. Beale won't get dropped for that performance because it wasn't a bad one. In difficult conditions he did alright. This wasn't made any easier by the halfback inside him having a fairly poor game.

To'omua wasn't really any better outside Beale. He defended strongly but didn't really create anything in attack and his kicking game wasn't particularly good. He made a similar number of errors to Beale.

All the players in key positions on both sides made errors because they were tough conditions to play in.

I feel like 80% of the criticism directed at Beale is because people don't really like him. It's very similar to the reactions to Cooper over a long period of time. If they don't have an absolute blinder people claim they were terrible and should be dropped.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I feel like 80% of the criticism directed at Beale is because people don't really like him. It's very similar to the reactions to Cooper over a long period of time. If they don't have an absolute blinder people claim they were terrible and should be dropped.

Then I must be in the 20%. I think he's a great player. But if he's going to stand that deep he might as well be Berrick Barnes, or playing under Deans.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Then I must be in the 20%. I think he's a great player. But if he's going to stand that deep he might as well be Berrick Barnes, or playing under Deans.

I think standing deep was a product of the weather. Cruden did it as well.

To'omua also stood deep when he was first receiver.

Everything needs more margin for error because the passes are less accurate and the ball is harder to catch. If you stand flat in those conditions you'll see a lot more dropped ball.

Watching the replay it was clear that every player was standing far deeper than they normally would all the way out the backline. Everyone wanted more time before the defence to catch the ball etc.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
For what it's worth, this was Paul Cully's team of the week over at Fairfax:

Team of the week:

1. Marcos Ayerza (Argentina)
2. Nathan Charles (Australia)
3. Ramiro Herrera (Argentina)
4. Sam Carter (Australia)
5. Sam Whitelock (New Zealand)
6. Marcell Coetzee (South Africa)
7. Michael Hooper (Australia)
8. Duane Vermeulen (South Africa)
9. Aaron Smith (New Zealand)
10. Kurtley Beale (Australia)
11. Julian Savea (New Zealand)
12. Matt To'omua (Australia)
13. Malakai Fekitoa (New Zealand)
14. Cornal Hendricks (South Africa)
15. Willie le Roux (South Africa)

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...all-blacks-20140817-1050qm.html#ixzz3Ah9VqbsC

Slipper a bit unlucky.........

T

Train Without a Station

Scrubber, I think you are off the mark. I'll have to rewatch but I know for a fact the first decision to go for a scrum over the penalty was excellent, as with 14 men it replaced a loosie with a prop, and it resulted in a penalty shot we would not have got otherwise 2 minutes later, thus being no detriment.

Of the others (was there only one more), did we take a shot as part of the same sequence on play in their half - therefore a penalty we would not have otherwise got?

Hooper was smart enough to think that we wouldn't keep the All Blacks to zero tries and penalties wouldn't be enough. Who would have thought we'd actually hold them out all night?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
For what it's worth, this was Paul Cully's team of the week over at Fairfax:

Slipper a bit unlucky...

very unlucky for Slipper - hard to imagine a better performance by a L:HP

And KB (Kurtley Beale) made the side - FFS, Cully must be related to Kurtley

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Tell White to pick his moments to box kick and to not to use it when we're outside our 22! Beale, as will White will improve for the experience - got to back them for this week at least.

More like - tell White he can box kick to his hearts content, but for every one of his kicks every member on GAGR has the option to kick him in the box after the match.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
very unlucky for Slipper - hard to imagine a better performance by a L:HP

And KB (Kurtley Beale) made the side - FFS, Cully must be related to Kurtley

The Boks v Argentina game had even worse conditions to ours so their fly halves were pretty much out of the equation..therefore it was out of KB (Kurtley Beale) and Cruden. Can you categorically say that Beale was outplayed by Cruden? I don't think so..

and if you can it's only your opinion versus Cully's..and mine..

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Foley was only average against France who were far inferior opposition. Beale won't get dropped for that performance because it wasn't a bad one. In difficult conditions he did alright. This wasn't made any easier by the halfback inside him having a fairly poor game.

The difference being Foley plays far straighter and takes a tackle while keeping the ball.

If you want to create space out wide you have to be able to bend the line first, clean out effectively and have a 10 that plays flat and goes forward first.

My watching of another replay had the forwards just not working hard enough in attack to be near the runner to clean out accurately, White just too slow to clear (because of his speed to get to the next phase combined with the average clean out and the rest not getting organised to give him options for that next phase) and then Beale too often doing a Cliff Lyons impersonation (running laterally looking for runners) but never being a threat himself.

I thought the best 12 on the field was Horne, but not a winger, as I have said before, good "wingers" do most of their work without the ball. Too often Folau & Beale were left by themselves whereas when the ball went back to the ABs, they had options to counter or chase the kick

I was also disappointed with the Wobs not reacting to the short kick, logic to me would have had White working as a sweeper

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree that Slipper is very unlucky.

Overall it looks pretty reasonable though. The selection of more Wallabies than All Blacks reflects the fact that we played most of the rugby in that game.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think standing deep was a product of the weather. Cruden did it as well.

To'omua also stood deep when he was first receiver.

That doesn't mean To'omua was right either :)

And Cruden was playing territory so he could stand as deep as he likes. If we're trying to speed the game up and isolate defenders to create gaps, you've clearly decided to give zero fucks about the weather, so make sure of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.