• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand v Wallabies, Eden Park, Sat 22nd October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Anyway getting up this morning and reflecting on the game, I am pleased the ABs won and got the tier 1 record or whatever, personally I a little disappointed about the decision to disallow Speight's try,(although I do tend to think it correct according to the laws of the game) as I really think it would have made very little difference to the outcome. As an AB supporter looking at game I was pretty pleased with most of our players, think the pack went well and Todd continued to show what Hansen says, he very unlucky not to get more tests, he is a pretty handy player. I also thought BB showed to be a little brittle last , especially when the Wallaby pack played well in the first 40 minutes. I do think the ABs were all over the top of Wallabies in last 20 minutes, and just wore them down as they do most teams.
For the wallabies I think you would have to be fairly happy with the young fellas in the pack, they went alright, as I said before Phipps/Foley looked bloody good, not too sure about outside of them though, although Folau did a few good things.
I will say if what I have heard is what Chucka actually said in aftermatch press conference he has taken whining to a new level even for him, I know he would of been upset Wallabies have lost a series 3-0 to the Poms this year (was refs fault then too), ABs 3-0, have drawn 1-1 with Boks and beaten Pumas 2-0, so he knows he got a bit of work on. One thing he is able to sleep well as there is noone else to take his job, so he can keep rebuilding. I actually miss Link who I think was a very good coach.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
For all those moaning about Cheika and his comments you really need to step back and see what it does. By saying comments that the press and public jump on, most of the heat is directed his way and not his players way. So, if certain individuals don't play well (or the team) Cheika can draw the attention off them and hopefully let them bounce back the following week. More importantly, it creates a us vs them siege mentality.

It's a common trait Jose Mourinho uses in his clubs like Chelsea, Real Madrid etc and he's widely regarded as one of the best managers in the world. It has nothing to do with sour grapes but a deliberate managerial tactic to help the team.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
My take on the Speight no-try:

Watching it live - Savea's been taken out, they've gotta go upstairs for that.

Watching the replay - contact is inconsequential, try should stand BUT it's Veldsman in the TMO box & the Laws don't state how far away from making a tackle the obstructed player has to be before it's not obstruction & it's Veldsman in the TMO box so anything's possible.....

IMO Owens was as surprised as anyone when Veldsman ruled obstruction, and I think that's why when Phipps (?) clearly obstructed Coles in-goal shortly after, Owens stated that he was OK with the contact & just wanted to know how the ball got into the in-goal. There was also another occasion where Veldsman answered the question put to him by Owens then asked "is there anything else you'd like to know" or some such (flashback to AB v Bokke, 2011) & Owens said "no" pretty quick.

I thought Owens had a poor game by his standards but it went both ways e.g. multiple rucks were entered from the side, most notably Coleman at the one immediately prior to the Wobs try.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yes I think Foley answered a lot of critics tonight. He missed some sitters goal kicking wise and if hodge stays at 12 and cements his place in the side perhaps he could take over goal kicking duties.

There is a lot of positives with some newer players finding their mark particularly in the forwards, with some better prop back up options, lock, and 8,

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Most disappointing thing for me is how we keep making the same mistakes.

Here's a list of the ABs trys - you could have written these after just about every game.

1st try ABs get possession from a shallow kick from Foley, then poor miss from Hodge in the centres
2nd try Lineout after scrum penalty, then Speight’s poor miss in the centres
3rd try, another chargedown (Hodge)
4th try coughing up an offload while hot on attack (Phipps to Speight) and then the Abs go 75m
5th try, Turnover - Frisby get isolated, then Abs go 75m and Speight and Frisby get run over
6th try, poor clearance from Foley, Abs in the opposite corner - Hooper missed a difficult one

7th try (disallowed), Coleman turned-over. Abs go through the gap when AAA can’t get across

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Go back and penalise Read or Savea for impending Aussie support players if you want to apply letter of the law. Or any number of players for doing the same thing during the game. Both back lines sent dummy runners into each other with the aim of creating half a yard of space.

The material effect on the try is roughly the same. Savea was, in all probability, NOT catching Speight with a metre or two deficit.

BUT when it's a scoring opportunity, the focus changes. That's all it was.

The ludicrous part is actually the TMO ruling process: If we spent less time celebrating, and Foley quickly had a pop at a drop goal conversion, the TMO can't pull it back.
What if foley had kicked the conversion after being told by the ref to wait? Does the try stand or can the ref overrule the rule book?
Can the ref award the try but then ping foley for a professional foul ie ignoring the refs instructions? Yellow card??
Was Veldsman the referee?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

G

galumay

Does anyone know what the alleged Hooper headbutt was about, I didn't see anything in the game but have seen it referred to in social media a few times.

K

KAOPointman

Meh...foley was no better tonight then Quade normally is in even his average games. Once again....This game was a good game by foleys standards.....and that's with poorkicking...... But Quades good games blow your mind and impress even the haters! They are also far more common then foleys great games too. They both have average games and they both make mistakes...but so does every player!
I'd be benching Foley permanently....Quade will be deadly with so many keen young fast and hard running backs around him. That's were he shines every time! Give him options and he'll put someone thru everytime!

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Cheika's main problem is that he can dish it out but he can't take it!

Chekia complains about a lack of respect, NZ have never complained before about respect.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sp...-mocking-traditional-haka-hakarena-dance.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ated-officials-following-aggressive-haka.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/20...-everybody-really-mad-and-backfired-big-time/

Chekia is entitled to complain about Steve Hansen bugging drama dropped on game day, the Steve Hansen defense of Owen Franks face massage, Steve Hansen meeting with Peyper and the NZ Herald cartoon.

He did not hi jack any press conference or celebration.

What is Steve Hansen doing in saying there is an open invitation to visit the New Zealand rooms, that just cover for saying doesn't specifically issue an invite face to face when they shake hands after the game.

Is this the same as the open invitation in Australia we have for all those Kiwis who hate Phil Kearn's commentary. They must live in Australia, therefore have to listen to our commentary team, you have an open invitatation to return to the New Zealand you left.

Lucky Hansen is no longer police officer, as he has low standards.

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think it's telling that a heap of Kiwis have jumped on here to attempt to defend the crap ruling, no-one else is going to do it for them. It's probably because they realise that we were at least a threat if that try stood and so it's important to them that the ruling is seen as correct.

Correct. Also telling is that it's far from just Australians who are upset at the decision. Prominent U.K. sports scribes, former South African international rugby referees etc etc.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
I don't buy that for one minute.
Savea was pushed off balance.
That's why he complained and rightly so.

No he complained because he wasn't going to catch him. The Aussie player, imo, has the full right to move his position, jostle, push shoulder on shoulder, but does not have the right to hold back or pull back. Try and poor decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Two other 2nd half decisions in question:
Dane Coles had his arm held back
and was in a definite position to score,
why was that not a penalty try ?

Then on the other side of the park
there was the TMO who clearly said
no forward pass and Owens overuled
and disallowed the try

In reality that should have been 7 tries
to the All Blacks.

Two good decisions, not like the poor non-decision of the forward pass in the World Cup final.

Reality 5 tries. You kiwis are not good whiners r u? Need to watch us Aussie more closely. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.