• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand v Wallabies, Eden Park, Sat 22nd October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Also Hodges charge down?! What a clusterfuck that was. Firstly I don't think we should clear it off a shakey scrum platform. Have a hit up in centre field, split the kickers either side to confuse the defence and clear from there.

Secondly Hodge should've anticipated it and faked accordingly. As it played out it was blindingly obvious as to what was about to happen.

I had a third point but I cant be bothered any more. I'm shattered after that.

Great game though.

Spot on with your two points Michael, especially the second.

The third point might have been an observation about how slow Phipps' delivery was from the base of the scrum. That allowed TJP to put the pressure on Hodge that caused the error.

M

Moono75

This Bledisloe Cup drought is a national sporting disgrace and should have the neccesary resources applied to rectify the imbalance at the earliest opportunity. I think it may also be contributing to global warming.

G

galumay

Secondly Hodge should've anticipated it and faked accordingly. As it played out it was blindingly obvious as to what was about to happen.

Did you notice he made the same basic error as Foley made in an earlier game, he was looking down at his foot long before executing the kick, so had no awareness of the closeness of the chaser. That seems to me to be a factor in the charge downs too.

M

Moono75

I think another contributing factor to the years of poor performances against the AB's is in the name.

New Zealand......its just so DAMN positive! "New"....not old....not current...NEW Zealand. Improved, better than the previous one. Damn you Kiwis......damn you to hell!

Dalai Ninja

Ward Prentice (10)
Spot on with your two points Michael, especially the second.

The third point might have been an observation about how slow Phipps' delivery was from the base of the scrum. That allowed TJP to put the pressure on Hodge that caused the error.

How does that work? Perenara can't advance until Phipps picks up the ball, and Phipps passed off the deck.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
This Bledisloe Cup drought is a national sporting disgrace and should have the neccesary resources applied to rectify the imbalance at the earliest opportunity. I think it may also be contributing to global warming.

I personally think the white heteronormative patriarchy is to blame. Or maybe it's the Illuminati. Perhaps the Bilderberg Club.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
My take on the game. Phipps had a shocker. Nowhere near his usual speed to the breakdown and his delivery was mostly poor. But who else is there? No-one I can see for the present. Both Louwrens and Gordon show a lot of promise and one at least could go on the EOYT.

Foley was sharper when he took the line on, but as pointed out by others he does not have an adequate field kicking game, and his goal kicking tonight was also poor. Add to that, he doesn't set the backline firing, and I am convinced he should be a bench player only. The Phipps/Foley combination was hardly effective at all.

Hodge was disappointing at 12. No speed, no creativity and his ball distribution is especially poor.

Folau was much better than he has been playing lately. Otherwise the backline was messed around with the injury to Kerevi, and no satisfactory option to replace him on the bench. DHP played strongly on the wing again.

The forwards were in the main stronger and more aggressive for about 50 - 60 minutes, but then fell apart. Timani not as impressive as last week, but still one of the best. Coleman was unusually quiet for him. Mumm seems to have concluded his role is to take intercepts, but his work tonight really didn't justify his continued inclusion.

Has anyone heard what Kerevi's injury is? Will he be fit for the EOYT? The backline will look a lot weaker without him. If fit, he really needs to go to 12, and the 13 spot be filled by either Kuridrani or Folau.

Looking forward to the touring side being announced, probably Sunday.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I also want to add that to the posters here who are ragging on All Blacks fans, there are some good ones. Plenty actually.
The fuckwits booing Quade are probably the same lot that leave the ground before full time.
There were a shitload of people that hung around after the game and after the presentations they gave the Wallabies a standing ovation as they left the field. These are the real NZ Rugby fans. The fans that know that was a quality Wallabies performance and the ones that are really looking forward to the day that we consistently push their boys.
The other lot are just a bunch of flogs that you wouldn't see or hear of if the AB's weren't so dominant. Present recent company included. Jog on bro.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
Gotta maintain the status quo and keep that global AB marketing behemoth humming along I guess. Amazing that the Wallabies had the temerity the challenge the ABs in their own back yard. Lucky Veldsman and co were there to bring a bit of sanity to proceedings.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
My take on the game. Phipps had a shocker. Nowhere near his usual speed to the breakdown and his delivery was mostly poor. But who else is there? No-one I can see for the present. Both Louwrens and Gordon show a lot of promise and one at least could go on the EOYT.

Foley was sharper when he took the line on, but as pointed out by others he does not have an adequate field kicking game, and his goal kicking tonight was also poor. Add to that, he doesn't set the backline firing, and I am convinced he should be a bench player only. The Phipps/Foley combination was hardly effective at all.

Hodge was disappointing at 12. No speed, no creativity and his ball distribution is especially poor.

Folau was much better than he has been playing lately. Otherwise the backline was messed around with the injury to Kerevi, and no satisfactory option to replace him on the bench. DHP played strongly on the wing again.

The forwards were in the main stronger and more aggressive for about 50 - 60 minutes, but then fell apart. Timani not as impressive as last week, but still one of the best. Coleman was unusually quiet for him. Mumm seems to have concluded his role is to take intercepts, but his work tonight really didn't justify his continued inclusion.

Has anyone heard what Kerevi's injury is? Will he be fit for the EOYT? The backline will look a lot weaker without him. If fit, he really needs to go to 12, and the 13 spot be filled by either Kuridrani or Folau.

Looking forward to the touring side being announced, probably Sunday.
Wow i feel like we watched a different game regarding Phipps/Foley, Timani, Coleman were all good. Our pack actually won the majority of the forward battles. I counted only one lost throw and i think we ended up with one of theirs. Scrum was almost exactly equal. We dominated the collisions and physicality.

agree on Hodge though. Pooh

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
Canadian Wallabies fan. Tough loss, but lots of positives.

The biggest difference for me was that the forwards were providing some go forward. Arnold, Coleman and Timani can make yards and this opens things up for everyone else. The downside is that they aren't amazing at getting to the breakdown, but that can be fixed. What do you do with a healthy Pocock? He's obviously a better rugby player than Timani, but the Wallabies need what Timani offers more than Pocock.

Foley is better than Quade on offense IMO, but his kicking is awful! If Hodge sticks at 12 can he not take over all kicking duties?

Stephen Moore looks cooked. If there is a young hooker with some go forward and better defense I think they should go there soon or at least sub him off much sooner.

Biggest positives:
- 5,4,8 look set
- Kerevi

Question marks:
- future 6/2
- gotta fix those lineouts!

A

All Black Magic

I didn't want to comment on this because it never ends well but there is a point of the Dane vs Julian debacle that has been missed.
Dane doesn't have to 'hold his line'. As a support player behind the ball he has every right to attempt to get in a better position to receive a pass.
I also think it speaks volumes about how much of a chance Savea thought he had of catching Speight that he started waving his arms around as soon as he touched
DHP. This is the guy who when running down the sideline with ball in hand is
fucking immovable. Guys can clatter into him and he doesn't shift an inch but in this situation he's all of a sudden a powder puff. Please. He knew he was toast.
Also one last point, can we stop making references to Savea being 'taken out'. You make it sound like DHP put him over the sideline and three rows back.

If Savea had no chance of a dive and ankle tap
why did the Wallaby run into him ?

smartcooky

Bob McCowan (2)
How does that work? Perenara can't advance until Phipps picks up the ball, and Phipps passed off the deck.

Yes, he can advance as long as he remains close to the scrum and keeps both feet behind the ball (his offside line) until his opponent picks it up. What he can't do it go onto the slot between the opponent's flanker and No. 8.

The reason for that charge-down is twofold:

1. Phipps' big, slow loopy pass
2. Having a clearing kicker on the left side of the field who cannot kick with his left foot.

Both of these gave TJP the time he needed to get there; a flat pass or a left footed kicker and it doesn't happen.

I honestly don't understand why Cheika has got such a hard on for Phipps anyway. Nick Frisby is a better scrumhalf and he's a long distance goal kicker too. I'd pick him as the starter with Nic Stirzaker on the bench.

On the disallowing of Henry Speight's try, IMO, the TMO was correct to check the actions of Dane Haylett-Petty, and in the end it was a 50/50 call. Whether you agree with the call or not depends largely on which team you support. Cheika will no doubt whinge on and on about this for a week or two, but the fact is that if the shoe had been on the other foot, and an All Black try had been allowed after a potential try saving tackler had been intentionally been taken out in the same way, he would whinging about that too.

If you don't want to force the referee or TMO to have to make a 50/50 call, then don't put them into play. The blame for the disallowing of this try falls fairly and squarely on the shoulders of one, and only one person... Dane Haylett-Petty. What he did was dumb, unnecessary and cost his team a try; and more importantly a try that might have put them in front with 35 to play.

Anyone see Cheika in the post match interview? I'm losing respect for him, he is really painting a poor picture for himself and Australia in the media.

Cheika has some far more serious problems to deal with than a couple of 50/50 calls that didn't go his way, like

1. Why his players missed 29% of their tackles! (62 attempted, 18 missed)

2. How his team had 68% possession and 65% territory and yet were only able to score one try

3. Why his team were almost able to match the All Blacks running metres (503 v 523) yet conceded six tries and could have conceded eight were it not for two 50/50 calls that did go their way.

Michael Cheika needs to turn his gaze inwards toward his team to find solutions, not outwards toward the way the game is officiated.

A

All Black Magic

Two other 2nd half decisions in question:
Dane Coles had his arm held back
and was in a definite position to score,
why was that not a penalty try ?

Then on the other side of the park
there was the TMO who clearly said
no forward pass and Owens overuled
and disallowed the try

In reality that should have been 7 tries
to the All Blacks.