• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand vs Australia - Bledisloe 2, 24th August 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Re Genia, easy to forget he was outstanding in the Lions series. Now he has a few bad games and the knives come out.

To be considered the best in the world you need to put in consistent performances over multiple seasons. Genia has done that, and I don't think anyone else has. But I think that says a lot more about the 9s currently around than it does about Genia.

And don't say Fotuali'i is the best. I like the guy, but until you consistently demonstrate your class against the best in the world (which is the criticism occasionally levelled at Genia) you can't be considered World XV material. Unfortunately for him Samoa haven't played the ABs or Wallabies in a couple of years. He may be good enough, but we can really never know.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Fair enough opinion. I feel he has been one of our best players for a while now, and to say he's never performed consistently i think is a bit much. Felt he played well in the first test, agree with a poor performance in the second test but everyone has an off game. Doesn't help when the team under performs. He had a stellar Lions tour. Who do you believe is the best number 9 in the world?
Usually the one playing behind the most dominant pack at the time.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ben Smith - is it just me or does his defence on the wing look a little suspect??

One missed tackle is hardly in the suspect realm. He hasn't hit the lowly stations of Rok or Sivi just yet....

Thought he defended extremely well in the 1st half with nothing getting down his channel, but that miss was a complete misread and then he tried to make up for it by going high which is always going to end badly.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Re Genia, easy to forget he was outstanding in the Lions series. Now he has a few bad games and the knives come out.

To be considered the best in the world you need to put in consistent performances over multiple seasons. Genia has done that, and I don't think anyone else has. But I think that says a lot more about the 9s currently around than it does about Genia.

And don't say Fotuali'i is the best. I like the guy, but until you consistently demonstrate your class against the best in the world (which is the criticism occasionally levelled at Genia) you can't be considered World XV material. Unfortunately for him Samoa haven't played the ABs or Wallabies in a couple of years. He may be good enough, but we can really never know.

OKay in the 1st test, outstanding in the 2nd, anonymous in the 3rd is how I'd describe his series.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I agree. However, as with all Australia sports teams, if their supporters weren't fair weather supporters, they'd probably do much better. Support your teams through thick or thin guys! All Countries do it except for Australia. Maybe the problem isn't so much the teams as it is the supporters?

Pretty easy when you're an AB fan. There isn't a lot of "thin" going around.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Blame away, but I think Horwill is on a higher level to you.

He was attempting to point out to Peyper that it was a tactic from the All Blacks to kill the ball in the 22, but Peyper was too thick to get it. It was meant to play on his mind the next time the wallabies were in the AB 22 - but Peyper bottled it.

Problem number 1: he mentioned last week. Completely fucking irrelevant to that situation and just got Peyper's hackles up. You need to guide the weak, not confuse them

I personally think Ben Mowen handled captaincy of the Brumbies this year far better than Horwill did the Reds. You can't deny Kev made some fucking strange calls during Super rugby and the Lions series.

Reactions: BPC

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Problem number 1: he mentioned last week. Completely fucking irrelevant to that situation and just got Peyper's hackles up. You need to guide the weak, not confuse them

I personally think Ben Mowen handled captaincy of the Brumbies this year far better than Horwill did the Reds. You can't deny Kev made some fucking strange calls during Super rugby and the Lions series.

Also, Kev may simply not be the best choice lock going forward. We have some young talent coming through that may be more effective. If he's not captaining well then his position can't be considered to be sacrosanct.

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
Is it a coincidence that Specsavers is not sponsoring the referees for this series? Did they have inside knowledge? :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Also, Kev may simply not be the best choice lock going forward. We have some young talent coming through that may be more effective. If he's not captaining well then his position can't be considered to be sacrosanct.

You could say the same for the other candidates.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

Yes, Mowen captained better during super rugby, but then was very poor in the biggest game of their season from a playing perspective.

I think Genia would be the clear choice as captain if he could reign in the whinging.

Gurz

Allen Oxlade (6)
I agree. However, as with all Australia sports teams, if their supporters weren't fair weather supporters, they'd probably do much better. Support your teams through thick or thin guys! All Countries do it except for Australia. Maybe the problem isn't so much the teams as it is the supporters?
Easy to say when refs favor you team every week

crangs81

Larry Dwyer (12)
Well who do you reckon the best number 9 in the world is?

A.Smith - Has gained around 18 caps, is good, but don't believe he is the best yet.
Hougaard- Not consistent
Phillips - The only player who was contesting Genia's status, had a great world cup, got destroyed on the Lions tour.
Murray - To early in his career to gain that status, played well against us on the Lions tour.
Youngs - Contender, can be inconsistent.

I know he's left off this list for a reason but Tanaka has been outstanding behind some shoddy packs. His clearence from rucks is top shelf

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Ben Robinson apparently needs a kick up the arse and has been dropped not just to the bench but from the match day 23 altogether.

Will Link apply the same standards to Genia?

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
. The All-Blacks have kept the same team for how long now? In a few years they'll be in the same position:

Hore 34
Crockett 30
Woodcock 32
McCaw 32
Carter 31
Nonu 31
C.Smith 31
Mealamu 34

We've been there done that. NZ will have to make some pretty key changes in the next few years and be forced to go through what Australia is now.

Changes are already well in hand - The current coaching team are running a sort of apprenticeship program at hooker, hence no Kev M last test, Coltman will probably be seen soon.

D Coles - 27
L - Coltman - 23
B Franks - 29
O Franks - 26
C Faumuina - 27
S Cane - 21
A Cruden - 24
B Barrett - 22
C Slade - 26
T Taylor - 24
R Crotty - 25
SBW - 28
B Smith - 27

tekay

Peter Burge (5)
Maybe people thought all we needed to do was replace the nasty Imported Coach who spoke in riddles and gobbledegook, with a plain speaking one of our own and things would suddenly be all right with the Wobs.

This week we need to work on our basics, although there may not be enough time to achieve the necessary turnaround:
a. keep hold of the Gilbert and build pressure.
b. be accurate at the breakdown and move Black bodies out of the way.
c. get sufficient numbers to the breakdown to achieve (b.) above.
d. Catch the Pill then pass it to players after you have committed the defender.
e. Tackle anything in Black that has temporary ownership of Gilbert.
f. Run forwards not sideways, this is not the under 8's.
g. No internet, smartphones, twitter, SMS, facebook or any other 21st century crap.
h. Training base to be Puckapunyal Army Base. Fly to NZ on a RAAF C130.
i. KISS, HTFU and play the sort of footy we know you are capable of.
j. Get rid of the Brand, Mogg, and MMM.

Unless you're being facetious, that's a completely dumb arse thing to say.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
The All-Blacks have kept the same team for how long now? In a few years they'll be in the same position:

Hore 34
Crockett 30
Woodcock 32
McCaw 32
Carter 31
Nonu 31
C.Smith 31
Mealamu 34

We've been there done that. NZ will have to make some pretty key changes in the next few years and be forced to go through what Australia is now.

Plans are already in place for that. Hansen has an apprentice type program going for hookers, bringing young hookers into the AB's camp before tests. I think Liam Coltman was the first. That will help ease the loss of Hore and Mealamu.

Carter, dare I say it, won't be a loss we won't recover from. Cruden/Barrett/Taylor/Slade will help us thru.

Ben Smith may be having a run at Centre in the November tours when Conrad Smith is taking a break

Cane/Todd/braid/Latimer, even John Hardie may be in picture for Sir Richie. Though maybe the way Luatua is going he may be there!

I think Nonu may well be on the way out. A niggly ankle may finish him off (or the excuse they need).

As Hansen said earlier this year. We have a couple rounds of Super rugby, EOYT and Rugby championship to go before the next RWC. I think there is a pretty solid plan in place to blood new players. I am sure the EOYT tour will see a lot of new faces.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Plans are already in place for that. Hansen has an apprentice type program going for hookers, bringing young hookers into the AB's camp before tests. I think Liam Coltman was the first. That will help ease the loss of Hore and Mealamu.

Carter, dare I say it, won't be a loss we won't recover from. Cruden/Barrett/Taylor/Slade will help us thru.

Ben Smith may be having a run at Centre in the November tours when Conrad Smith is taking a break

Cane/Todd/braid/Latimer, even John Hardie may be in picture for Sir Richie. Though maybe the way Luatua is going he may be there!

I think Nonu may well be on the way out. A niggly ankle may finish him off (or the excuse they need).

As Hansen said earlier this year. We have a couple rounds of Super rugby, EOYT and Rugby championship to go before the next RWC. I think there is a pretty solid plan in place to blood new players. I am sure the EOYT tour will see a lot of new faces.

One bad game and he's on the way out?! Geez - that's harsher than the Wallaby fans!!

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Ben Robinson apparently needs a kick up the arse and has been dropped not just to the bench but from the match day 23 altogether.

Will Link apply the same standards to Genia?

Our scrum has been a shit show under the new rules. I'm not sure that Benn would have made things better or made the worse, but bringing him back into the fold might be wise at this point.

tekay

Peter Burge (5)
Old argument no doubt and maybe it's a numbers thing - but It's definitely time we make an effort to introduce a third tier 'ITM Cup' type arrangement.

Nothing between Club Rugby and Super and it's not enough, the step between those two is way too big - Club Rugby is crucial but there's simply gotta be something in between otherwise we'll continually struggle to have the experience and options that depth of talent provides.

I seriously think this is major factor that has to addressed if we're ever going to entertain the idea of dominating the AB's like they have us in recent times.

Everyone always talks about "Well the AB's will have to re-build sometime too" and yeah they do but it's always pretty seamless. Case in point, is Taylor - they bring him in and he pretty much slots in straight away.

Status
Not open for further replies.