• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand vs Australia Oct 11 2020 Bledisloe Cup

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Petaia is the best defender at 13 in the country. He averaged under 1 missed tackle a game as an 18 year old in his debut season where he split time between the wing and 13. Not only does he make tackles but he often puts dominant shots on. I have no concern about his defence at 13 and my guess is Rennie won’t either.

Artists rendition of hopefully how 19-year old 2-test cap Mr Petaia will feel at the end of 80 minutes having defended at centre versus the All Blacks in a rugby football test match.

tenor.gif

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Artists rendition of hopefully how 19-year old 2-test cap Mr Petaia will feel at the end of 80 minutes having defended at centre versus the All Blacks in a rugby football test match.

tenor.gif
And here was me thinking it was an artists rendition of that moment at the end of the game in Wellington when the crowd announcer reports that a really sexy sheep has been spotted in the car park.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Petaia going super saiyan and bumping off the big dogs in black will be so good to watch

Reactions: dru

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My 23 is very similar to Paul Cully's.

1. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
3. Tupou
4. Philip
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Samu
7. Hooper
8. Wilson
9. White
10. O'Connor
11. Koroibete
12. To'omua
13. Petaia
14. Wright
15. DHP

16. Sio 17. Uelese 18. Ala'alatoa 19. Simmons 20. Wright 21. McDermott 22. Paisami 23. Maddocks

dru

Tim Horan (67)

1. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
3. Tupou
4. Philip
6. Samu
7. Hooper
8. Wilson
9. White
10. O'Connor
11. Koroibete
12. To'omua
13. Petaia
14. Wright
15. DHP

16. Sio 17. Uelese 18. Ala'alatoa 19. Simmons 20. Wright 21. McDermott 22. Paisami 23. Maddocks

16/17?

BH that is my take though I’d have Hodge at 23. Not long now to see what Rennie does.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
16/17?

BH that is my take though I’d have Hodge at 23. Not long now to see what Rennie does.

Woops!

But also, now that we have both a reserve LHP and a reserve THP on the bench, does it makes sense that the replacement hooker is the first bench number?

Hodge is definitely a strong shot at a bench spot and it will come down to whether someone else is picked who covers 13.

Lolesio and Hodge is an option is Rennie wants to blood a 10 off the bench.

JOC (James O'Connor) can cover 13 but it would be highly unlikely that you elect to shift your starting 10 to 13 in the event the 13 goes down. It would be a disruptive move.

Reactions: dru

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
What are my FTA options for viewing the game? I’ve had a bit of a look around and can’t find any information.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)

1. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
3. Tupou
4. Philip
6. Samu
7. Hooper
8. Wilson
9. White
10. O'Connor
11. Koroibete
12. To'omua
13. Petaia
14. Wright
15. DHP

Like it. That’s my team pick as well. The only maybe I had was at 14. with Wright vs Daugunu however I’d be happy with either. That’s a great front row to bring off the bench and Simmons provides insurance if the line out goes pear shaped. Maddocks provides 15/wing cover, McDermott could create space late with his running game.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And here was me thinking it was an artists rendition of that moment at the end of the game in Wellington when the crowd announcer reports that a really sexy sheep has been spotted in the car park.

I didn't realise the Wobs brought a supporters group with them :)

MungoMan

Sydney Middleton (9)
I didn't realise the Wobs brought a supporters group with them :)
At the Caketin, nothing would surprise. A few years back at a Mitre 10 game there were all these folk lining up to go in with mutts of all sizes and types, and none of them (people, not dogs) looked blind. Doggie Day*, as it turned out.

*Not the correct name but I'm too lazy to look for the match program

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)

tenor.gif

I notice in the video that all the defenders miss their tackles - definitely the current AB team.;)

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Biggest selection dilemmas for my mind are 6/8, 9, 14 and reserve backs.

1. 7As (Allan Ala'alatoa)
2. FF (Folau Fainga'a)
3. Sio
4. Phillip
6. Valetini
7. Hooper
8. Samu
9. McDermott
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Marika
12. To'omua
13. Petaia
14. Daugunu
15. DHP

16. Jordan
17. Tupou
18. Slipper
19. Simmons
20. Wilson
21. White
22. Paisami
23. Hodge

My current thoughts on this. First game after quite a disrupted year. Going with combinations to start. Makes sense to start the Brumbs front 3 rather than split them up. I would also rather have Tupou & Slip in the 2nd 40 to see out the game.

Impossible to go combos in 2nd row. I've gone with physicality to start. Also with Simmons on the bench up our sleeves if the lineout starts to struggle.

Valetini and Samu for combo. Wilson on with 30 to go for either of these 2 depending on their games. Great player to see out a match.

Rounding out my thoughts on the starting pack is that is a very very physical starting 8. Every single one of those players is capable of getting one over their opposite in contact. Finish with a more mobile/attacking/skillful pack.

9/10 again gone combination. White on the bench incase McDermott is struggling. Would rather that than the other way around.

12. More for versitility/experience and leadership. Gets him over Simone

13. Obvious choice

Marika in his usual position with DHP at the back. Combo again.

Daugunu rounding it out also combining with 9/10/13

Bench piggies pick themselves for my mind. Exception perhaps loosie but have explained that above.

21 obvious

22/23 is the hardest to pick. Petaia's injuries are a concern so I feel we need a competent 13 the reserves. I am very reluctant to put JOC (James O'Connor) there even as a stopgap. This leaves only Paisami and Hodge. Hodge only in by being capable to play 12 - 15. If a winger goes off i'd shift Petaia to wing and Paisami to 13 for example. If 10/12 goes off then Hodge to 12. Every base covered. I thought about many combos here and just seems to work best for this match IMO.

Today's thoughts! Will probably change another 5 times before the team is announced.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Thought maybe Lomax would get a bench spot, but I a fan so not really unbiased

Yeah I had Lomax & Laulala on the bench, I guess Big Karl is the preferred backup to Moody.

FWIW I'd go with:

1. Moody 2. Taylor 3. Ofa
4. SamW 5. Tuipolutu
6. Frizell 7. Cap'n Cane 8. Ardie
9. AS 10. Mo'unga
12. Goodhue 13. Rieko
11. Clarke 14. Jordan 15. JBar

16. Aumua 17. KarlT 18. Laulala
19. Va'ai 20. Sotutu
21. TJP 22. AL-B 23. Beaugan