• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NH Rays v NSW Country Eagles, NRC round 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I have no love for Crawford this year,but he is 4 grades above BJ.
Blake was desperate to find an alternative to him this year.
Not at this grade,ever.

If he hadn't gone in for a shoulder recon this time last year he would have been picked ahead of Betham for the EOYT.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think that the NRC has got off to a good start. I think that the main reason that the rugby has been quite helter-skelter is that the teams mostly came together a week or two before the thing started. Backline combinations are a little disjointed, defence not as well organised as it could be and some odd selections. IMO the important thing is that we are seeing players in a level above club rugby - some are showing already that they can't handle the step up while others are showing that they can.

We're also getting some coverage on the Fox news in their main sports bulletins as well. The NRC is a good news story for rugby and I think it can only improve.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
IMO the important thing is that we are seeing players in a level above club rugby - some are showing already that they can't handle the step up while others are showing that they can.

I think it's just that some will take a bit longer to adjust, having not perhaps had the same access to facilities during their careers, or coaching.

cowboymike

Bob McCowan (2)
Sorry to chime in late on this, was busy yesterday... I thoroughly enjoyed going to the game, even in grotty weather. Reminded me of seeing a couple of Friday night SS games at North Sydney Oval 10 years ago... great atmosphere. Glad to see I got the match report down OK, it was late and after a few drinks began second guessing myself a bit... "Was Sam Windsor really as good as I thought?" etc. Comments here have been along the same lines at least :)

A couple of things I would add, I know the scheduling was an awkward job but the Thursday night games hinged a lot of what Fox wanted. They coughed up a fair bit of cash, and are the reason the 3rd Tier comp should survive this time. They basically wanted each of the teams to get a 'spot on TV' within the first 5 rounds (as did the teams themselves), and then were just going to share it around after that bearing logistics in mind. The televised games were always going to be Thursday nights so that it coincided with an ITM Cup game and RugbyHQ, making Thursday night, Rugby Night.

Also, I think the loose and fast play style has a lot to do with teams not yet being familiar with each other and tactics/strategies haven't had their time to form and be drilled. However, I get the feeling, maybe this is just a 'vibe' kind of thing, but without any club history or team pride at this early stage, perhaps there isn't as much of a concern about 'winning', more about how you play. Players are keen to 'show-off' and maybe catch the eye of someone higher up the tree? Hell, players naturally WANT to be adventurous, but often that instinct is curbed by coaching and process which is designed to win first, and be attractive and exciting second. Thoughts?

T

Train Without a Station

What were people's thoughts on Greg Peterson?

Because of the slating that people like Pfitzy and ILTW give him on here I thought I'd give him a closer look (But Pfitzy reckons Kane Douglas is a better lock than Simmons or Horwill so what the fuck would he know?).

He looked strong at times last night, always in control when he made tackles, had a couple of decent runs - most importantly either he charged on and went down somewhat easily but charged over the tackle line because of his height and being taken low, or if he was slower onto it he kept making metres with blokes hanging off him. Was a bit disappointed with his performance in the line out but one was mishandled and called not straight anyway and one looked like the lifter missed it.

On a break he was always in the first half of his team there in support but I can't help but feel there's a lot more in him. Seemed to be just cruising around the park and not really pushing himself.

Absolute giant as well. Considering he's not that old if he can build his fitness base he may be worth persisting with at the Waratahs if nobody shows anything impressive.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Because of the slating that people like Pfitzy and ILTW give him on here I thought I'd give him a closer look (But Pfitzy reckons Kane Douglas is a better lock than Simmons or Horwill so what the fuck would he know?).

He looked strong at times last night, always in control when he made tackles, had a couple of decent runs - most importantly either he charged on and went down somewhat easily but charged over the tackle line because of his height and being taken low, or if he was slower onto it he kept making metres with blokes hanging off him. Was a bit disappointed with his performance in the line out but one was mishandled and called not straight anyway and one looked like the lifter missed it.

On a break he was always in the first half of his team there in support but I can't help but feel there's a lot more in him. Seemed to be just cruising around the park and not really pushing himself.

Absolute giant as well. Considering he's not that old if he can build his fitness base he may be worth persisting with at the Waratahs if nobody shows anything impressive.

I agree. I think he cops some unjust criticism at times, but he definitely needs some work to progress above this level. Agility and fitness and a bit of old fashioned mongrel - although I'm not sure the last bit is coachable.:)

T

Train Without a Station

I'd love to see him going head to head with Horwill, Douglas and Skelton in this comp to see how he matches up.

I can't say Skelton was any more impressive last Sunday. In fact I thought Peterson looked better from what I saw as he got over the tackle line. But he didn't have the attention from defence either.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

Build his fitness?
He has been in a pro program for 4 years, and was playing in a pack where they are all amateurs.
I will begrudgingly agree he went ok the other night.
In fairness he won the big playing award for his club recently,so his coach is seeing things that I am not.

T

Train Without a Station

In the bloke's defence he's had years of injuries and finally has had a full Shute Shield season. My point was that he didn't look lacking in fitness, but he didn't look superior in it. But at the same time, Treolar and Chapman are both coming off professional seasons too and he wasn't inferior to them in that regard.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
That's my point!
He doesn't look superior in fitness,despite being in a full time pro training regime playing with and against amateurs.
Treloar is 34 whose season ended 4 months ago.
Chapmen is also in his 30's who has played very little football this year.

I can't recall Peterson ever smashing anyone in contact,never seen him do what Timani did to Holmes last week.
But with his size,and s & c advantage,it should be a weekly occurrence.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Let me give you an example:

Morgan Turinui was a regular Super Rugby 12. When he went back to club rugby, he dominated. I mean he fucking smashed it up on attack which was admittedly his strength over defence (lateral speed not being his forte). But his attack was soooooo good, his average defence wasn't a problem.

When I've got a big lump like Peterson who is worth some money from a Super Rugby franchise, but isn't a regular starter, I expect him to fucking dominate at club level and be prominent at NRC. Look at Tala Gray and Stephen Hoiles - as back rowers they are making serious amounts of play.

But GP is a second rower, and while he's supposed to be getting his hands dirty and not swanning around like a muppet screaming "look at me coach!" he needs to be the ball carrying, lineout winning demigod at this level, given he's been in the system as long as he has.

But at SS level he isn't that in the games I've watched (and is often sitting down injured at some point), and while I saw him a couple of times on Saturday, it was mostly when he was asking the ref something or crashing the ball up.

I noticed Cam Treloar and Mitch Chapman on Thursday night, live at the game. Peterson should be on this level, otherwise its fairly easy to assume at SS level that the overall quality of the Manly pack (and lack of decent SS locks) gave him an arm chair ride.

T

Train Without a Station

Pfitzy you are massively biased. I actually only had a look because of all the comments I had heard. If you noticed Champman you must have been looking for him because he did fuck all of note. Treloar was adequate but of all locks Peterson was the strongest with ball in hand.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Coincidentally, all Manly players DB? Lewis I'll go along with, but otherwise all the Rays were well and truly outplayed by the Eagles counterparts.

Yes they are,
Yes the rays were out played.
Just watched it on fox for the first time and yes agree, hence my post.
No cohesion or combo's.
You might say all Manly players and i understand why - sweet with it - but as a reference point - http://www.nswrugby.com.au/NSWRugby/ShuteShield/DrawsResultsLadders/ShuteSheild(1stGrade)Ladder.aspx - the selections intrigue me.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Pfitzy you are massively biased. I actually only had a look because of all the comments I had heard. If you noticed Champman you must have been looking for him because he did fuck all of note. Treloar was adequate but of all locks Peterson was the strongest with ball in hand.

A wise man once said that there are three versions of events:

Yours
Mine
The Truth

I saw Peterson carry a couple of times and I assume he was in the maul when they scored. Obviously he can do a job, but is he about to step up and replace Kane Douglas? Because that's what we need him to do.

T

Train Without a Station

But that's not what you need. Almost none of your looks are better than average line out operators. I think Rob Simmons (gasp!) is what you need. Skelton and Potgeiter cover Douglas.

James M7

Allen Oxlade (6)
I believe Lewis pick up MMM's Best and Fairest award this year. Out played players that have played at a higher level. Looks like somebody who could play at a much higher level,

Status
Not open for further replies.