• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

No more SBW in black

Status
Not open for further replies.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Is SBW a bit of a flat track bully? Beats up fat OAPs in the boxing ring and has never fought anyone who is able to lay a hand on him, if he is serious about it why isn't he looking to take on David Haye or even Tyson Fury? Same applies to his rugby, great going forward in a dominant side, NZ in first and third tests V Ireland, anonymous when the going gets tough, second test. Could he be on his way because Hansen wouldn't guarantee that Nonu ( a much better 12 at test level IMHO)would be behind him in the pecking order??

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think you may be on to something there PP.

Would you begrudge the fella the opportunity to make a motza overseas and in other quasi-athletic pastimes while he would otherwise be warming the bench for Nonu for a couple of years on earning $NZ at NZRT pay rates?

He may not be much of a rugby player yet but he has relative youth on his size and is a marketing cash cow. Professional athletes in collision sports only have a very limited period to make their $ and really need to take every opportunity to strike the various hot irons.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think you may be on to something there PP.

Would you begrudge the fella the opportunity to make a motza overseas and in other quasi-athletic pastimes while he would otherwise be warming the bench for Nonu for a couple of years on earning $NZ at NZRT pay rates?

He may not be much of a rugby player yet but he has relative youth on his size and is a marketing cash cow. Professional athletes in collision sports only have a very limited period to make their $ and really need to take every opportunity to strike the various hot irons.

There's a theory going round that he'll be back for the 2015 RWC. I guess we'll see.

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
I can't see that his earning capacity in league would be significantly more than in union. So it must that he either prefers to play league and/or live in Sydney.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I quite like the bloke. His workload (2011-13) concerns me:
- Crusaders globe trotting season
- training for boxing and fighting
- RWC
- Chiefs Super rugby season plus finals
- in bound June tests as an AB
- Japanese rugby
- Boxing bouts and training
- NRL season

That's a hell of a lot of work and an enormous stress on his body. He hasn't had a serious injury for a while. If he has a serious injury during the NRL season similar to what Quade had at the RWC will the ABs want him back?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
"The splendour of the sunburned Australian Dollar" - Python, M.

Sydney Lifestyle vs Waikato Lifestyle ?

Week in Week out adulation in Mungoland v Benchwarming for Nonu ?

Opportunity to revert to the Darkness when Nonu retires and/or RWC 2015

The opportunity to pay back all the SBW haters he acquired over the Canterbury walkout.

The chance to give a big Up Yours to the Mungo Establishment who got on their high horse and dribbled on about loyalty and respect etc when he walked the first time.

Wouldn't you?

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
He might have been ahead of Nonu this year, though hard to say because in extreme pressure matches I feel he tends to do some weak plays along with some good. Definitely a big loss for the ABs.

Aside from Nonu, it'll be interesting to see who steps up.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I can't believe he has to train too hard to beat up the fat feckers who stand and get hit in his boxing 'matches'. Actually, we have to accept we are all different. While I would never have thought about turning up the chance to play for Ireland if I had been within two hundred light years of being good enough, SBW may feel he has to make hay while the sun shines on a very short athletic career. I hope he doesn't turn round at the end of his career with regrets but if he does he will only have himself to blame.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Is SBW a bit of a flat track bully? Beats up fat OAPs in the boxing ring and has never fought anyone who is able to lay a hand on him, if he is serious about it why isn't he looking to take on David Haye or even Tyson Fury? Same applies to his rugby, great going forward in a dominant side, NZ in first and third tests V Ireland, anonymous when the going gets tough, second test. Could he be on his way because Hansen wouldn't guarantee that Nonu ( a much better 12 at test level IMHO)would be behind him in the pecking order??

And yet he was more prominent in the 2nd half of that 2nd test than Conrad Smith, when the pressure was at its highest....

The other thing is I don't think Hansen would be guaranteeing anyone a jersey other than McCaw (while he is captain)

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
SBW is a bit of a joke. The guy has the potential to be the best centre in the game and he would prefer to play in japan then the AB's, WTF? I understand all the shit about chasing the money incase of injury and stuff but im sure his paycheque in NZ isn't half bad. then again i suppose rocky did this

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
SBW is a bit of a joke. The guy has the potential to be the best centre in the game and he would prefer to play in japan then the AB's, WTF? I understand all the shit about chasing the money incase of injury and stuff but im sure his paycheque in NZ isn't half bad. then again i suppose rocky did this
Isn't the difference that Rocky Elsom was still playing competitive rugby at Leinster and improving as a player whereas, with the greatest respect, the Japanese league would not be the most competitive. Chances are SBW could have earned as much playing in France as Japan if he really wanted to keep up to speed.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
All conjecture about French money really PP, from what SBW has said that Japanese rugby money was to big to turn down, not sure French would pay him 1.5 mill for a season. As for Rocky you must be only person that saw him improve as player at Leinster.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I like him. I hope he carves up league, realises rugby is the game they play in heaven and comes back to play in the RWC. I hope he continues to take on bigger and better boxing challenges too.

Athletes like this aren't common and we should celebrate rather than denigrate them. Just because one of us wouldn't give up a national jersey doesn't mean SBW shouldn't if that is what he chooses. He walks to a different beat and good on him.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
All conjecture about French money really PP, from what SBW has said that Japanese rugby money was to big to turn down, not sure French would pay him 1.5 mill for a season. As for Rocky you must be only person that saw him improve as player at Leinster.
much as I Am not a fan of Rocky's didn't he win an award for best player in the Heineken cup? I agree he not much chop when he got back hereafter that but he had injury issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Isn't the difference that Rocky Elsom was still playing competitive rugby at Leinster and improving as a player whereas, with the greatest respect, the Japanese league would not be the most competitive. Chances are SBW could have earned as much playing in France as Japan if he really wanted to keep up to speed.

True. But at the end of the day it is a similar thing. I don't think the timing was the same though. Vickerman would be another example. But once again Vicks did it for a number of good personal reasons.

Http://www.youtube.com/shiggins316

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
One things that a lot of you guys don't seem to understand is that it is actually possible to enjoy and love rugby AND rugby league at the same time. Not everyone believes that one game has to be greater or better than the other. SBW seems to be one of those guys.

He's not a mercenary, he's not arrogant and he's not average. He doesn't seem to feel any need to live up to all the expectations that the public, media or fans have on him instead, he knows what he wants and he sets his mind to getting those things done. Everyone who deals with him speaks very highly of him, his work-ethic and his willingness to learn and grow. Apart from the Bulldog drama (where I think it was a case of both sides not doing 'the right thing' and he apparently paid them $750,000 when he left) he's been a pretty good role model on and off the field. He just doesn't live up to the standards that some people bizzarely think they have a right to put on him.

Good on him and I hope he comes back in 2015.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
much as I Am not a fan of Rocky's didn't he win an award for best player in the Heineken cup? I agree he not much chop when he got back hereafter that but he had injury issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I know he won an award for being good player in Heineken Cup IS, just saying I don't think he came back from Leinster a better player.

Status
Not open for further replies.