• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

No more SBW in black

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I know he won an award for being good player in Heineken Cup IS, just saying I don't think he came back from Leinster a better player.

he came back wounded and hasn't recovered, it will be interesting to see how SBW's body handles the continual playing

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
All conjecture about French money really PP, from what SBW has said that Japanese rugby money was to big to turn down, not sure French would pay him 1.5 mill for a season. As for Rocky you must be only person that saw him improve as player at Leinster.
If the rumours about Carter and Stade are to be believed, I think they could easily afford such figures. The budgets at some of the French clubs, esp Toulon, Toulouse and Clermont are almost limitless.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
he came back wounded and hasn't recovered, it will be interesting to see how SBW's body handles the continual playing
European rugby would be considerably more attritional than playing in Japan. Could part of the issue be that Rocky Elsom played a full season down under and came straight up to leinster without a break? I know the Northern Hemisphere players play for two years without a break in World cup years and on pointless lions tours, but for a player of Elsom's ability to be hobbled by such a schedule might indicate there could be something detrimental for rugby players in playing for long periods without rest.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
I think SBW underestimates the amount of hate for him in League Fan Land. The threads over at LU are full of hate for him. If that crowd are indicative or representative he may be in for a very hostile reception. I wonder if the cadre of sycophants that makes up his entourage have prepared him for that. I bet he's feeling a bit nervous about it.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Karl - he's not going to League tomorrow, so by the time next year comes around I think some of the "fans" who are moaning will just get on with watching the game. Sure when their team plays SBW's they might get a bit vocal, but I can't see any sort of backlash by players or coaches.

I just hope he makes himself available for the Kiwis, we are sorely needing a centre.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It hasn't really been addressed has it - what position will he play? Go back to the backrow or centre?

N

Nutta

Backrow vs Centre in Mungo - Remember the only significant injury he ever had was shoulders so whilst the defensive "read" is easier in mungo backrow, the workload is much higher then for a mungo centre. I would say they'll look to him as a centre firstly to see how he holds up.

I say good luck to him. He's doing what he can with what he's got. I think he could do better on the management front, but given the drivel that comes from his mouth maybe it's a case of "make what you can now boy" because there will be no financial after-life for him as a speaker or commentator

W

What2040

those Mungos will line him up big time - 2 or 3 belting him (if he does play in forwards) every time , hitting the ground etc etc

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Just having a look at some of his provincial highlights for 2010 with Canterbury....freaky stuff:

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Hansen has stated he will run at 12 for the panasonic all blacks.​

Minor Hijack

Just out of curiosity; how do you post a link to an article like that with just the one word link instead of the web page? I have tried to do that for a while and I can't see any help pages on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.