• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Northern Tours 2021 - NZ, SA, etc

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah, I'm going back to sleep, much as I like hearing Gus Gardner's calls.

It's too early to watch a Super Rugby-style manshaming.

Jeffrey

Chris McKivat (8)
So that AB USA match was a bit of a wash.

Beyond the AB performance, I thought it's a good idea to keep pushing into markets like USA and even China. They have big markets which means big advertising and television money, which is good for World Rugby. But you gotta wonder if the ABs going over is a good advertisement. I'm not sure what an American fan or first-time viewer gets from a 100 point loss.

I'll skip any thoughts on the ABs performance. It's really hard to judge, because this game is completely different from the coming ones the ABs will face.

I just wanted to touch on Josh Lord. Yea, happy for the lad, looks like a real good bloke too.

And I understand this will be a hugely unpopular opinion.

But I just don't think he's ready for international rugby. He's barely played Super Rugby, and is not exactly a standout even at the NPC. In comparison, you also feel for others like Boshier, Shields previously, Ash Dixon, Craig Clarke and many others which I'm sure you can name. Years of hard grafting without ever a chance of even wearing that black jersey. You also have to wonder about the blokes who have been in and around the ABs - Quentin Strange, Mitchell Dunshea, or even the likes of Pari Pari Parkinson who has at least in bits, played well at Super Rugby level? Sam Cane for example (or even McCaw for that matter) also made the ABs with few or no Super Rugby experience, but they were very dominant at the levels they played at.

Of course, we root for anyone who dons the black jersey. But from a fairness perspective, in terms of both actual performance and future potential, I don't quite think it justifies his inclusion. It kinda makes the AB jersey a little cheaper for mine.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think Lord, like Vai'i probably have the potential to having a higher ceiling in ability than Pari Pari etc have, I thought PPP was bees knees, but doesn't seem to of come on as I had thought. I like the look of young Sam Parry to. I think Lord could develop into a Lurch type lock and be as good. Though mate that only my opinion and yours is just as valid as mine.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Congratulations to Aussie Sione Tuipuloto who’s debuting at 13 for Scotland against Tonga this weekend. Looking promising for him to play against the Wallabies.

Attachments

• 07C72A3C-1A56-4BF7-9DD6-2B408720503F.jpeg
    07C72A3C-1A56-4BF7-9DD6-2B408720503F.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 73

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wales team: Johnny McNicholl; Owen Lane, Jonathan Davies, Johnny Williams, Josh Adams; Gareth Anscombe, Tomos Williams; Wyn Jones, Ryan Elias, Tomas Francis, Adam Beard, Alun Wyn Jones (c), Ross Moriarty, Taine Basham, Aaron Wainwright.

Replacements: Kirby Myhill, Rhys Carre, Dillon Lewis, Will Rowlands, Seb Davies, Gareth Davies, Rhys Priestland, Ben Thomas.

New Zealand: 15. Jordie Barrett; 14. Will Jordan, 13. Anton Lienert-Brown, 12. David Havili, 11. Rieko Ioane; 10. Beauden Barrett, 9. TJ Perenara; 1. Joe Moody, 2. Codie Taylor, 3. Nepo Laulala, 4. Brodie Retallick, 5. Sam Whitelock (capt), 6. Ethan Blackadder, 7. Dalton Papalii, 8. Ardie Savea.

Replacements: 16. Samisoni Taukei'aho, 17. Karl Tu'inukuafe, 18. Tyrel Lomax, 19. Tupou Vaa'i, 20. Akira Ioane, 21. Brad Weber, 22. Richie Mo'unga, 23. Sevu Reece.

Beaugan's 100th but apparently only his 50th start.

Edit: 50th start at 5/8, also 14 at fullback & the rest from the bench.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well happy with team, obviously will upset one or two with BB ahead of RMo , but no probs, I can see RMo be pretty effective against a tiring defence ditto with Akira. Think possibly TJ a little lucky to get in ahaed of Weber, as I tend to think TJ's strenght is defence at end of games .

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ I don't think they were ever gunna have Beaugan coming off the bench for his 100th & still think RMo will start v Ireland & France. Agree wrt TJP v Weber.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
^ I don't think they were ever gunna have Beaugan coming off the bench for his 100th & still think RMo will start v Ireland & France. Agree wrt TJP v Weber.
Could also be what Kirwan reckons, BB at 10 goes better with JB at 15 and RMo and Dmac?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ Wales are mostly missing backs, they're still putting out a 6N-winning tight-5 & four were in a Lions tight-5 that really should've beaten SA. I think it's gonna be a lot closer than many people think if Wales keep it tight & kick for the corners.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
AB closing in on record for most Test tries in a calendar year:

92: Argentina (2003)

82: All Blacks (2021)*

81: All Blacks (2003)

81: South Africa (2007)

80: Japan (2002)

80: All Blacks (2007)

80: All Blacks (2016)

78: All Blacks (2018)

Argentina's tally included 24 in a match v Paraguay but to be fair AB scored 16 v both Tonga & USA.

AB have been known to score 10 v Italy so 100 isn't totally out of the question.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It’s a bit of a joke that NZ are playing these understrength teams and calling them ‘test matches’

How many have they had this year where they’ve played teams missing a large chunk of their first line selections; Samoa, Tonga, USA and now Wales

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Surprised Wales didn't put their 205cm guy at the front of that lineout but then contested it. Do one or t'other I'd have thought.