• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Northern Tours 2021 - NZ, SA, etc

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's a shit call. Goes in head-first with shoulders lower than hips, what are the defenders supposed to do? I'm all for protecting players heads but ball carriers have to do their bit safety-wise as well.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Score blew out more than I expected. Elias not being able to hit his target plus the loss of AWJ took away their lineout threat & they weren't as effective in close after Moriarty went off despite Basham's heroics. More or less forced to kick deep not out & paid the price on kick return, also pretty much forced to take the threes which was never going to keep them close enough to threaten.

Loved the way Sam kept pointing at the sticks & crazy-eyes TJP managed to mostly refrain from any of his dumb-arse tap & goes. Top performance by Beaugan, thoroughly deserved motm.

Jeffrey

Chris McKivat (8)
A word on Wales

I don't know how many folks here have been to Wales. Rugby is the national sport of Wales. The Principality Stadium is the epitome of this - it is right smack in city centre, sitting beautifully on the River Taff.
I don't know if this sounds pompous, it's not meant to be, but when Beauden slid in for his second try, the crowd gave him a fair appreciation. A lady clapped with a face that was genuinely happy for Beauden. Post-match, the interviewer was very kind, and it was nice to see Foster catching up with AWJ. I appreciate the traditional rugby values. I really do. It's not just the post-match beers, it's just genuine respect that comes after genuine competition, and I just loved the post-match interaction.

On the Yellow Card
We've all played the game. I wonder what are you really supposed to do when someone runs at you with his head down, which happens many times in game. We go on and on about player safety, but the mechanics simply doesn't work. If you look Laulala's arm and the space between Moriaty's head and shoulder, the arm inevitably hits the head.

Half the time with red cards these days, you completely agree with the ruling. Yes, shot to the head. But if you pause just for a little, what is the alternative of the defensive player when an attackers run head first into you? To avoid the head would mean the defender comprising a dominant position to go low. Laulala is a big dude. His job is not chop someone's legs out. It's to smack them head-on. I just think that, has anyone working on the laws ever tackled anyone? It's mechanically very difficult to avoid the head and neck completely.

On the ABs
Lot's of good performances. Very good at the end, blowing the score open. Ardie Savea is completely beast-mode these past 2 years. He gets so much go-forward with his power. I wish there were 2 Ardies for the backrow. As a loosie, I also watched Dalton and Ethan closely. Dalton was very solid. He is a lot more abrasive than when he first started, which I like. His line-speed is reasonable in a team that doesn't rush. His ruck work in slowing and disrupting is good. I don't know if Sam Cane is really better than him. But an unpopular opinion on Ethan - he worked really hard which is very important. Because the biggest complaint against Akira, Luke, and Hoskins is that they don't hard enough. But he is missing that 5%. He is not a good carrier. He might dominate in Super Rugby but not against the beasts in the north. And he is 5% away from stealing ball at the breakdown. IMO, it's a structural thing for Ethan - but we shall see how he develops.

Elsewhere, the tight 5 were pretty good. Laulala and Whitelock made a lot of excellent tackles behind the gainline, surprising some the Welsh backs. Uncharacteristically, Retallick was probably the least impressive, but he didn't need to be. Codie has looked a bit flat since 2020. I wonder if he needs a break. Samisoni was absolute power in the loose, but as I have written several times, looks nervy at the lineout. Tupou Vai'i will surely earn a lot of plaudits for his handling, reminiscent of a younger Retallick. He looks confident and he looks like he is enjoying himself. But the real test for an AB lock is the tight. The rucks. The defence. The lineout. The scrum. The maul. Vai'i will at least play once against Ireland and France - it'll be a good test for him. Tyrel Lomax looked like a clumsy and ineffectual oaf, while Karl has never looked sharper since his debut.

In the backs, I was surprised how deep the backline stood off first and second phase. Havili's early sparkle against the Wallabies seem a distant memory now, he lacks thrust at 12, while ALB has always been a very tidy 13. Reiko still looks to me a winger, and played well. Jordan on attack is absolutely special - it's defence that we're worried about - but it's another try for the wonderkid. Jordie was ok, but it's still anyone's guess who the first choice 15 is given that Mounga is lurking about at 10.

On a final note, Congrats Beauden! You've been a real standout player for so long, one with an incredible collection of highlight reels. I love how hard Beauden is still working on his game. I do wonder if he has quite the natural control that Richie has, but as an individual performer, what a legend.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Jeffery, you summed it up properly, not only did I enjoy test, but enjoyed seeing the interaction after the test and the crowd. I go on about it a lot, rugby has something that is special and long may it continue, and I love the Welsh attitude. I have always thought that SA and Wales were the 2 countries I love us playing as they very much have the 'rugby' thing ingrained.
Funny you should mention ref , I was a little pissed with the TMO and his seemingly talking the ref into penalising the Welsh player in first half when he crashed his knee into Jordie, the Welsh player jumped and then knee went into JB, but TMO said it was past the point of taking the ball, what was he supposed to do he had chased a kick leapt in air, and so of course he went past where he caught ball! Thought the ref was good all in all!
And congrats to Beudan Barrett, 100th test and a good one at that!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Great summation, Jeffrey.

Highlights

Coupla points (actually three) wrt officiating:

When they started looking at the incident where the Welsh guy got pinged for contacting JBar, at first I thought it had to be JBar in trouble for jumping too late & not high enough. Ridiculous call IMO.

The YC on Laulala was equally stupid: the only way he could've stopped Moriarty without potential head contact would've been to drop to the ground & take his legs out which is also a card. Again, ball carriers who go in head-first & that low have to take the consequences unless of course there's actual, deliberate foul play.

I hated how the TMO decided to get involved in the Retallick & Welsh 6 (?) thing. It was barely a push & shove, no reason for TMO to get involved. Good an Raynal for ignoring him & getting on with it. Doesn't excuse either of the earlier shit calls, but.

Edit: also final thought wrt David Havili who was pretty poor & as well as he plugged a hole earlier in the year I think it's time for him to make way for Quinn Tupaea (but only if AL-B plays 13, I don't see 12. QT 13. Ioane working too well at this stage of their respective careers).

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Great summation, Jeffrey.

Highlights

Coupla points (actually three) wrt officiating:

When they started looking at the incident where the Welsh guy got pinged for contacting JBar, at first I thought it had to be JBar in trouble for jumping too late & not high enough. Ridiculous call IMO.

The YC on Laulala was equally stupid: the only way he could've stopped Moriarty without potential head contact would've been to drop to the ground & take his legs out which is also a card. Again, ball carriers who go in head-first & that low have to take the consequences unless of course there's actual, deliberate foul play.

I hated how the TMO decided to get involved in the Retallick & Welsh 6 (?) thing. It was barely a push & shove, no reason for TMO to get involved. Good an Raynal for ignoring him & getting on with it. Doesn't excuse either of the earlier shit calls, but.

Edit: also final thought wrt David Havili who was pretty poor & as well as he plugged a hole earlier in the year I think it's time for him to make way for Quinn Tupaea (but only if AL-B plays 13, I don't see 12. QT 13. Ioane working too well at this stage of their respective careers).
Agree about having a look at Tupaea starting WOB, been having discussion on another thread last week about me thinking he got a pretty high ceiling where he could end up at 12.
Still pretty happy with how the tem went.
And also thought BB had a bloody good game (not sure it will shut up the haters though), we got a couple of not bad 10s I think, also thought Ardie was huge and close to MOTM.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^ Wales are mostly missing backs, they're still putting out a 6N-winning tight-5 & four were in a Lions tight-5 that really should've beaten SA. I think it's gonna be a lot closer than many people think if Wales keep it tight & kick for the corners.
Two games against sides that already have essentially no chance of winning even if they were at full strength. Fucks the point of that shit (besides revenue raising)?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Two games against sides that already have essentially no chance of winning even if they were at full strength. Fucks the point of that shit (besides revenue raising)?
Same point of any game of rugby, to see who can win. Guess you should perhaps ask the 74000 people that went along to watch huh?
And Welsh people love the game of rugby and like some of us savour the chance to see top their team play top teams.

Same as every time I have gone to watch teams I support when odds are not in their favour, I go to see them give it a shot and see if they can knock over top teams.
Mate it's like some of us like to see what's wrong with everything about the game, and come across as being a little bitter and twisted, and a lot of us just enjoy the game for what it is, a game of rugby where 2 teams go and have a go!

Last edited:

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Some great bench impact in this game from the ABs. Interesting that Mo'unga came on at 15 - I would rather see Mo'unga shift to 15 late in games (either from 10 as starter or from the bench) than have DMac on the bench and coming on at 15. By the end of this tour I think Vaai will be have put a statement to S Barrett as to who is the 3rd best AB lock.