• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Not another one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Boomy

Here we go again.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26508662-23217,00.html?from=public_rss

Johnathan Thurston wants $1 million a year to switch rugby codes

By Peter Badel
December 20, 2009

North Queensland Cowboys halfback Johnathan Thurston wants $1 million a season from the Australian Rugby Union to switch codes.

Thurston's hefty asking price became public knowledge as dual international Wendell Sailor urged the Cowboys, Queensland and Kangaroos maestro to remain in the NRL, saying he would be "bored to tears" in rugby.

The Kangaroos playmaker stunned rugby league when he revealed that he was contemplating a cross-code switch with a view to representing Australia at the 2011 Rugby World Cup.

But Thurston's manager, Sam Ayoub, says the star halfback will seek a seven-figure sum to change codes.

"He'd have to look for at least a million dollars (to go to rugby)," Ayoub said.

"It would take a lot to entice him away from what he has got in rugby league. He has representative opportunities, and he loves playing for Queensland and Australia.

"An asking price like that would not be unreasonable for one of the best players in the world."

The Australian Rugby Union is almost certain to baulk at Thurston's price tag, with Wallabies five-eighth Matt Giteau and former skipper Stirling Mortlock understood to be the union's top earners with base deals around $500,000 a season.

With match payments, a top Wallabies player stands to pocket around $700,000 annually, excluding private sponsorships.

Thurston could earn $1 million a year in rugby with endorsements, but Sailor believes the Cowboys star should abandon any notion of switching codes.

"I personally hope he stays in the NRL," said Sailor, whose NRL stints with Brisbane Broncos and St George Illawarra were punctuated by a five-season tenure in rugby.

"He would get bored to tears with the style of the game (in rugby).

"Of the guys that have gone over to rugby, most have come back, as I did.

"Rugby league has a better brand, there is no doubt about that. Rugby union at the moment is a bore-athon.

"The one thing rugby can offer you is a great lifestyle. Thursto could play at Twickenham, in South Africa, France and Japan.

"His body has taken a fair bit of a whack so it depends on what Thursto wants.

"But I think JT would get so bored that he wouldn't know what to do. He would succeed at the game with ease but he would get so bored with it, simple as that.

"He's a player who would love confrontation, (but) he wouldn't make many tackles (in rugby), he wouldn't be in the game as much.

"If he wants a new experience, good luck to him. But I reckon he'd really miss rugby league."

Gold Coast Titans utility Mat Rogers, another dual international, is also adamant that Thurston will miss the week-to-week passion of the NRL if he switches codes.

"If he has a goal and wants to do it for the right reasons, I'd wish him all the best," the former Wallabies utility said.

"I have no doubts he would play for Australia. A lot of league players who go to union would play for Australia.

"But it's not a simple transition. There's a lot to it.

"I don't know his rugby background but he's a natural footballer, he just knows where to be.

"As a single bloke travelling around the world, it can be the best time of your life.

"But the tribalism that surrounds rugby league, I love that. I love the fans, I love going to a Leichhardt Oval or Shark Park. You don't experience that in Australian rugby. You play Super 14 and Tests, and it's a different audience.

"If he goes, he will play for the Wallabies, absolutely.

"I'd play him at 10. He couldn't play halfback, he's a ball player, he'd kill it at five-eighth."

The Sunday Mail (Qld)

Couldn't imagine why Wendell would think Union is a bore-athon....I thought cocaine made everything exciting?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Most go back, eh Wendell? So you chose to leave rugby? Considered your options and decided it was too boring and you had to go back to the exciting tribalism at Shark park (read "Shire bogans swearing at you" with the Southern Cross tattooed on their faces), FFS? :lmao: :lmao:
League has a great brand. I think it's Fuckstick TM.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
So I guess we're not inviting Wendell to be the guest of honour and key note speaker at Tuesday's esteemed gathering?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
TheRiddler said:
So I guess we're not inviting Wendell to be the guest of honour and key note speaker at Tuesday's esteemed gathering?
He'll be racking up the lines in the gents - form an orderly queue!! :lmao:

T

TOCC

i think he could do quite well, im not advocating spending $1million on him, but if he were to switch codes in australia, i think he could be a good pick up for the Reds from a purely marketing perspective, he has legions of fans in North Queensland, the Reds should sign Thurston and then move there first match of the season to Dairy Farmers Stadium and just watch the publicity storm.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He is a pro footballer in for his last big contract trying to push his price up.

I am just amazed at the hatred boiling up from NRL circles (well not really) I didn't realise so many RL fans think he is crap.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
i love the parra fans, on the back of ten good weeks of football calling on there stars to get more money so they can keep the team together and keep them from switching codes when there club is 20 million in debt.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Don't forget that the NRL is stumbling from scandal to scandal this year.

The Wicks drug arrest makes what Cooper did look like not standing up for a senior on the bus. The fallout could be nasty.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
it still baffles me that andrew johns admitted to taking drugs during his playing career yet was worshiped by the nrl media for telling the truth and all was forgiven right away, through him on telly, tell kids he was the best player ever, ignore the fact he took drugs to cope with the pressure he was under while playing.

the danny wicks thing could get scary, a year of police tapes, if you were a newcastle player, you wouldnt want to be lying right now.

B

Boomy

waratahjesus said:
it still baffles me that andrew johns admitted to taking drugs during his playing career yet was worshiped by the nrl media for telling the truth and all was forgiven right away, through him on telly, tell kids he was the best player ever, ignore the fact he took drugs to cope with the pressure he was under while playing.

the danny wicks thing could get scary, a year of police tapes, if you were a newcastle player, you wouldnt want to be lying right now.

He wouldn't have come out with it if he hadn't been caught.

A bit of 'it's only cheating if you get caught' lesson for the kiddies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Boomy said:
waratahjesus said:

He wouldn't have come out with it if he hadn't been caught.

A bit of 'it's only cheating if you get caught' lesson for the kiddies.
And the Knights aint the only club with a potentially very explosive illicit drugs situation in the closet. There are a few others who should be watching their backs.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
rugby league have a massive problem with anyone in there game that has talent, the number of players who are sacked by a club only to sign with someone else two days later is growing every year, they really need to have actual punishment!

Status
Not open for further replies.