• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC onwards and upwards

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
ARU survery for the NRC is up.

https://t.co/LkrM5IUGcq

I am having a chat with the ARU next week about potential improvements next week so again feed in anything here.

I probably need to go back through this thread and distill a few things.

We all talk about their being a lack of NRC content/media being a key issue, of which G&G is one of the shining beacons.

A bottom-up content marketing strategy should be explored more seriously. Personally, I would incentivise clubs/rugby community groups (or politely ask them) to create content which is shared through professional channels.

For example, is their a son of X town being selected by Qld Country? Instead of getting the Reds media team to write about it with a quote from his Dad, why not get the local junior coach to write an article? From here, the club shares it and the Reds share it. Everyone benefits from the cross-promotion and REAL community links are established beyond the cosmetic ones that exist currently.

I believe an effective content marketing funnel could be build on this model.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And in this, the Rams have shown what community engagement can look like. Not sure what other setups are doing, but the Rams are seeking to engage the community it has - Western Sydney - through various initiatives with the PI communities in particular.

More double-headers might open the door for Fox to broadcast more games, Reg. Only one OB setup required, and double bang-for-buck in terms of viewers and attendance.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I often wonder what would get my non-rusted-on mates to attend Rugby games, and it purely comes down to whether or whether not the game double as a viable social event for those not interested in the sport.

Most my good mates are AFL diehards and as I have an SCG membership (signed up 20 years ago, got it this year) I started to attend Swans games with them this season. Why? Because everyone was going and who wants to be alone on a Friday night?

I actually had a really good time - beers weren't cheap but the atmosphere was awesome and the games are long enough to get a few drinks in. It was just a great excuse to catch up with mates and have a chat.

I must admit I felt dirty throughout the entire process though. During one Swans game I even popped out to collect a mate (I had a guest past) and saw the Waratahs demolishing the Chiefs on the big screen next door. That was a low moment and it said a lot about the state of the game in Australia. I'm the biggest Union fan I know yet I was next door at an AFL event when my team was next door absolutely giving it to the then-competition favourites.

Rugby needs to emulate this social atmosphere somehow. They've done it with the 7s (I'm 22 and absolutely everyone I know attended the 7s. I was overseas but I saw photos of a bay of seats with 100+ of my friends and acquaintances, boys and girls, sitting together. They all loved it), but now it needs to happen with 15s.

So whats the solution? I'm not so sure. Doing it with Super XV would be easier then the NRC, but the NRC would still do well to have something like $4 tins / schooners in the hour lead up to the game at the grounds or something. Double that with a live DJ somewhere around the ground (not playing annoying stupid songs) and great food stalls (get hip restaurants like Mary's Newtown etc. involved) and you'd be cooking with gas.

It'd also help not to let anyone over the age of 40 in. Every single fucking time I attend the Waratahs theres some old fart next to me complaining so, so loudly about anything and everything.

The other team scored? The Waratahs suck.
We knock the ball on? The Waratahs suck.
We scored? We should've done it in a better manner.
We win by a record-setting margin? Bill Pulvers a gronk, the Shute Sheild's going down the guzzler and Australian Rugby is doomed.

Of course I'm being facetious about that last point but its important for us Rugby fans to reflect on how we talk about the game to others and conduct ourselves at the game infront of others. Ultimately, we are the ones selling the experience. The ARU and us as a fanbase need to work out a way to bring more positivity into the game.

Or even tongue-in-cheek negativity. I went to the SS final this year and it was fantastic as the pure, borderline irrational hatred of Tom Carter literally united the entire stadium. The sign "Tom Carter listens to Nickelback" was absolutely fantastic. They wouldn't sell cans because they were worried we'd throw them at him.

Most people don't give a fuck about sport but they absolutely love a drink. No one wants to spend their Friday night around depressed geriatrics.

Last point - engage the PI community. They are truly a positive bunch and they are the most family orientated culture I've come across. If someone is playing that is related to someone they know's friend's boss they'll attend and sing from the heavens in support of him. Considering the amount of PI players at all levels of our code they've got to be engaged more.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
And in this, the Rams have shown what community engagement can look like. Not sure what other setups are doing, but the Rams are seeking to engage the community it has - Western Sydney - through various initiatives with the PI communities in particular.

More double-headers might open the door for Fox to broadcast more games, Reg. Only one OB setup required, and double bang-for-buck in terms of viewers and attendance.

The Rams have certainly got off to a good start by engaging the local PI community. But they need to oush further into the overall Rugby community as well as does every other NRC franchise. Get out among the club in each respective catchment. Offer them solid deals and help organise groups to games.

Perhaps the ARU could look at working with the NRC clubs at getting 7s or even 10s comps running during the same period linled to the NRC franchises with ga,es being run in and around NRC games. Carnival like atmosphere and such.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
My pet gripe is the value of a try presently. Reduce to five points with all goals worth 2 and we might see a game more resembling Super Rugby with a whole lot more dash of attacking play than the scoring fest we now see. But that might just be me.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I have often wondered whether a Sydney "New Zealand" team in the spirit of London Irish could work. Surely there must be a few hundred thousand kiwis in Sydney who would love a team to support in Australia.
I am not necessarily advocating for more teams but I would be curious to know if they would get support.
Does anyone know more about the Wanderers in the A-League and how they created interest despite having no history or fan base at inception? There must be some lessons to learn there.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
More promotion and community engagement would be the biggest issue they need to overcome.
Yes the old marketing angle..and encouraging other sites / channels to promote.

But otherwise not a lot of grumbles from me as had two games over weekend to watch on tv and quality of product much better and teams had more stability and seemed more committed as more serious comp than seaSons past which added to the appeal.

Went to one game with family and another game with two mates and kids (born Rams games). Could not go to double header. Only sad thing was only had 3 chances to go to games which are in the local area. Next year though we will have 4 home games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I have often wondered whether a Sydney "New Zealand" team in the spirit of London Irish could work. Surely there must be a few hundred thousand kiwis in Sydney who would love a team to support in Australia.
I am not necessarily advocating for more teams but I would be curious to know if they would get support.
Does anyone know more about the Wanders in the A-League and how they created interest despite having no history or fan base at inception? There must be some lessons to learn there.

Interesting concept.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Does anyone know more about the Wanderers in the A-League and how they created interest despite having no history or fan base at inception? There must be some lessons to learn there.

Another option if Fiji prove successful could be a combined Tonga/Samoa squad based somewhere in Sydney.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

I agree the PI weekend very successful and efforts by RAMS to engage PI community with pre games etc very pro-active....

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Somehow more media stories would be good....maybe we just with more personal interviews published on rugby.com.au like an interview with a player (player profile), which includes Fiji players...ie where did you first play rugby, favourite players, aspirations.....what like about NRC etc....make a more personal connection. Follows what another person suggested on here somewhere. As I appreciate got to be innovative to avoid costly marketing which can't afford but surely things like this could be done. Also ties in with idea of interviewing future potential stars of the game. For example how good would Q&A with Irae Simone have been and published on rugby.com.au site.

But more importantly do this sort of stuff couple of weeks in lead up to the start of NRC to help promote the start and interest in the players. Again put it in more public places like on Rugby.com.au and more popular /trafficked sites..

T

TOCC

Based on the state of origin concept that someone touted for Australian Rugby, and after someone mentioned it in here earlier, maybe something similar could be done for the NRC.

Select a Tonga, Samoa, Kiwi and Fiji state of origin team based on NRC form, don't play it as a 'test match', some players might be concerned about eligibility, just along the lines of Tonga XV, Samoa XV etc.

In Queensland the King and Queens of Pacific Rugby Tournament has been running for 4 years now post QPR, it has QLD based representative teams from Samoa, Fiji, Niue, Tonga, Maori, Cook Islands, PNG and Indigenous Australia.

An 'Australian Tonga' team could easily be selected from the NRC, in the QLD NRC teams alone you have Taniela Tupou, Feleti Kaituu, Sam Talakai, Matt Mafi, Feao Fotuaika, Criff Tupou, Lolo Fakosilea and Alex Mafi.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Step 1 - get a $4m grant from the government to setup and promote club through the region ;)

Seriously though, they did a lot of work with local clubs, but then they did have the money to do it.

Our challenge is to do the same without the taxpayer funding it

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
They got the "ethnic" crowd back, who I think were off-put by the destruction of the NSL and establishment of Sydney FC, who were very Anglo in marketing and branding AFAIK.

Very easy to create natural divides there.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
They got the "ethnic" crowd back, who I think were off-put by the destruction of the NSL and establishment of Sydney FC, who were very Anglo in marketing and branding AFAIK.

Very easy to create natural divides there.

Also helps that Western Sydney is the largest Soccer region in the country.

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
One thing that I think is a little under-rated in their success (and is certainly not the primary contributor) is their branding. Adopting a traditional hooped jersey and a fairly traditional-style logo makes it easier, I think, to present the club as a traditional football club, rather than a whiz-bang new sporting franchise with lightning bolts or flames on the jerseys.

It's something that I think that NRC clubs could do a little better, though they're not all bad. I'd like to see hoops, butcher's stripes, etc. (and without side-panels!). Just because the jersey changes little year-to-year doesn't make them unsellable.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Step 1 - get a $4m grant from the government to setup and promote club through the region ;)

Seriously though, they did a lot of work with local clubs, but then they did have the money to do it.

Our challenge is to do the same without the taxpayer funding it

How is it that we seem to be one of the few sports that don't receive government assistance?

Do we ask or does everyone think that we're just a bunch of spoilt toffs?