• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC onwards and upwards

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yep I acknowledge that. But I've got more connection to the two Qld nrc teams than I do to the Shute Dhielf.

Fair enough too. I guess my thinking then goes, do you think that the "care factor" or tribalism would have been greater is Brisbane if instead of the 2x QRU NRC teams we somehow put froward the top QPR teams?

It seems that this would inevitably weaken the NRC teams - drawing players from a smaller pool of just two teams rather than the whole QPR. But perhaps would drive greater attendances.

It also seems to me that the QRU NRC teams fans are largely the diehard Reds fans continuing their fandom watching the guys coming through. For me this led to a greater interest in QPR - more ideas of what talent is out there. But that is not the same as grabbing the club fans for involvement in Super Rugby.

T

TOCC

The greatest risk isn't whether it would weaken the NRC, which it likely would, the issue is it would destabilise the QPR and create an uneven competition.

Just imagine if UQ and Sunnybank were the two teams selected to play in a new NRC comp, any player with higher representation intentions would see those two teams as a more attractive option then West's/GPS etc. it would create imbalance in the QPR with the haves and have nots.

I think most agree that a comp based on teams with an already exsistent fan base would be the best scenario, but how do you achieve the without destabilising the club competitions? That's why the pathway of using merged teams in was utilised, because SS clubs were so against their lack of involvement in NRC version 1 that the ARU had to ensure they had buy in to the new version of the NRC.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Fair enough too. I guess my thinking then goes, do you think that the "care factor" or tribalism would have been greater is Brisbane if instead of the 2x QRU NRC teams we somehow put froward the top QPR teams?

It seems that this would inevitably weaken the NRC teams - drawing players from a smaller pool of just two teams rather than the whole QPR. But perhaps would drive greater attendances.

It also seems to me that the QRU NRC teams fans are largely the diehard Reds fans continuing their fandom watching the guys coming through. For me this led to a greater interest in QPR - more ideas of what talent is out there. But that is not the same as grabbing the club fans for involvement in Super Rugby.

I don't really have a QPR team. Gps is probably the closest connection I have followed by Wests. But I'm not passionate about either.

But what if the 2 QPR sides that played were UQ, Brothers and/or Sunnybank?

I've got no connection to those sides. No buy in there whatsoever. In fact I think you would alienate more people if it was clubs.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't really have a QPR team. Gps is probably the closest connection I have followed by Wests. But I'm not passionate about either.

I've got no connection to those sides. No buy in there whatsoever. In fact I think you would alienate more people if it was clubs.

There's a good case study for it in Welsh rugby. Some of their 'regions' were basically former clubs and other fans were none too happy.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

I suspect this is the norm in Brisbane. What is strange is the difference in thinking from the clubs in the SRU. They do seem to be the "odd man out".

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

The only way forward for clubs to be more involved in the NRC is via JV arrangements. Which is essentially the same thing as what already exists in NSW.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
That's because they think a 'national' competition begins and ends with them.

Really?

I have plenty of criticism for QRU, but that isn't one though. It's a colloquial place but not like that.

I don't like that they show every indication of mindlessly supporting the ARU, a a sort of self protection racket, but I don't see Qld assuming the world ends at the Tweed. You have to find hated opposition from somewhere after all.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Really?

I have plenty of criticism for QRU, but that isn't one though. It's a colloquial place but not like that.

I don't like that they show every indication of mindlessly supporting the ARU, a a sort of self protection racket, but I don't see Qld assuming the world ends at the Tweed. You have to find hated opposition from somewhere after all.

I think he might have been referring to the SRU, and not the QRU..........

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

I like the higher standard and more attacking entertaining rugby (based on points system) the NRC produces then club rugby. If another competition can be created which creates that same standard I am all for it. And no the Shute Shield or QPR whilst good competitions does not produce what NRC produces.

I think the product NRC produces is good but how marketed and engages broader rugby supporters obviously work in progress and where I think most would be open to changes to NRC or alternative third tier competition if suggestions were viable.

Sadly not really seen much of this except shut down the NRC without valid alternatives...and replace it with what....? Club competitions like Shute Shield and Premier Rugby have their important place but they are not the answers to alternatives to Super Rugby or NRC to provide next level of semi professional and professional opportunities to grow our game and attract broader fan interest in our game. Club competitions exist and need to be supported but we need something better at semi pro and professional level which we clearly have not got at this point.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
As a supporter of the NRC, I will again make a few points:
It seems that different people have conflicting views on its purpose. Is it to provide a link for the better club players to super rugby? Is it to provide an entertaining spectacle to reach out to new followers?
I'd suggest that in trying to be both, it's failing at both.

Being played under laws which are different to the levels above and below means that it cannot possibly properly prepare players for super rugby. The laws encourage a different style of play heavily geared to attack over defence. Is it any surprise that all our super teams leak points like sieves?

If the purpose is to attract new followers, it's not doing too well at that either. I'd suggest that 7s is a much better vehicle for this.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'd love to jump in but facts rarely overcome emotions, so I'll let it go

QH don't be so defensive. If you can't see that I have come behind the SRU agin the ARU, I don't know how to further clarify. Yep I'm getting behind the only obvious counter and yep I have unresolved concerns.

But I'm not simply a knee jerk reaction to the SS. Not by a long way.

One thing I definitely don't get, is the disparagement to the 'Nobody Really Cares" competition. I would in genuine all seriousness like to understand ANY alternative for these funds in cross over from Premier rugby to Soup.

Take it for a given that tribalism works against the NRC and is a guaranteed point in favour of the right alternative.

And yes emotion is a tricky thing. Don't stop trying though.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Surely the ARU has heard the message from the grassroots that they are on their knees and not in a financial position to fund the NRC any longer. Junior rugby and suburban clubs are the heartland and have been shielded to a degree from the ARU levy by their associations, but that changes next season and it comes into full force. Suburban clubs will have to pay $1000 per team and junior clubs will be handing over a per player payment which will drive up fees and drive away players. Stop this madness.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Surely the ARU has heard the message from the grassroots that they are on their knees and not in a financial position to fund the NRC any longer. Junior rugby and suburban clubs are the heartland and have been shielded to a degree from the ARU levy by their associations, but that changes next season and it comes into full force. Suburban clubs will have to pay $1000 per team and junior clubs will be handing over a per player payment which will drive up fees and drive away players. Stop this madness.

Yeah, none of that has anything to do with the NRC............

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yeah, none of that has anything to do with the NRC....

The ARU has indicated that money taxed from grassroots is going directly to fund the NRC. Where else do you think the money is coming from? Crowd takings, sponsors, TV rights?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
the money is coming from sponsors, TV rights
I've edited your post to make it correct. Just some creative deleting, no words added.
Yeah, none of that has anything to do with the NRC....
Correct.

I think people like to imagine there is a big, single pot of money that everything in Australian rugby draws from, when in reality there's a series of smaller pots.

For example, Pot A is from government funding exclusively for Reason A, whereas Pot B is from sponsorship money to fund Reason B. If Reason A stops existing, the government stops giving you money for it. If Reason B stops existing, the sponsor stops giving you money for it.

Now, could you get that sponsorship money or government money for different reasons? Maybe, but it is a maybe. Either way it would be a seperate process.

I understand this is over simplified, there's lots of other factors and funding resources (TV rights for example), but it makes the point.

What I'm saying is a lot of money in the ARU coffers is not discretionary spending (sponsorship and tv rights money for the NRC included).