• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC onwards and upwards

T

TOCC

Firstly it fills a gap in the calendar for the players, which also allows fringe Super Rugby players to get consistent game time following a Super Rugby season of been on the bench and travelling party.

Secondly, 90% of players have said the standard is better then club rugby, playing at a higher standard allows to bridge the gap between club and Super Rugby.

Thirdly, it's fills a gap in the Rugby calendar for the fans, whilst still a small base has grown in ratings on Foxtel.

Finally it provides a pathway and development opportunity for players from ACT/WA and Victoria to remain and develop in their own state without having to chase a better standard of competition interstate. There's a lot to be said for a player like Uelese who won't suffer development wise to remain in his home city.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Firstly it fills a gap in the calendar for the players, which also allows fringe Super Rugby players to get consistent game time following a Super Rugby season of been on the bench and travelling party.

Secondly, 90% of players have said the standard is better then club rugby, playing at a higher standard allows to bridge the gap between club and Super Rugby.

Thirdly, it's fills a gap in the Rugby calendar for the fans, whilst still a small base has grown in ratings on Foxtel.

Finally it provides a pathway and development opportunity for players from ACT/WA and Victoria to remain and develop in their own state without having to chase a better standard of competition interstate. There's a lot to be said for a player like Uelese who won't suffer development wise to remain in his home city.

and one more. It produces pretty great rugby. I think I've enjoyed the NRC rugby more than any other competition's I've watched over the last few years.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

And because of that it boosts the quality of those local competitions as players don't need to move to Sydney or Brisbane to find opportunities........ so really the NRC benefits club rugby.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So the amateurs subsidise the pros as i asserted in time and in kind. The gap in the calendar as you call it is entirely manufactured in order to fit the comp in - indeed there was/is overlap whereby the SS clubs were criticised for impinging on the preparation for the festival of subsidising underperforming states.

I hadn't seen anyone comment on that - I'll take your word for the ratio but how do any of them know whether "it allows them to bridge the gap": who has actually bridged the gap? Simmons spent a week there and was suddenly deemed to have recovered his form - we know that wasn't the case.

But putting the same resources into club rugby might well have done the same: it is not to be forgotten that the ARU pulled its ABC subsidy and I was quite surprised at how many people complained that they would now watch no rugby . The gap in the calendar is manufactured to fit it in.

So the Sydney/Brisbane clubs provide the West and South with development options. No need to drag the ACT in since they have always punched well above their wieight without cross subsidisation from QLD/NSW

and one more. It produces pretty great rugby. I think I've enjoyed the NRC rugby more than any other competition's I've watched over the last few years.

I must have missed that game

T

TOCC

Let's agree to disagree, youre clearly set in your opinion and all those replies are equally subjective and debatable, and ultimately this isn't a rabbit hole I wish to head down at the beginning of a long weekend... have a good night

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Let's agree to disagree, youre clearly set in your opinion and all those replies are equally subjective and debatable, and ultimately this isn't a rabbit hole I wish to head down at the beginning of a long weekend. have a good night

you too

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
My interpretation is that the posters on here (a tiny proportion of rugby fans let alone sports viewers) think the uninitiated public would be more likely to watch an essentially domestic comp than supe.
No evidence - surveys etc - is cited in support. Si, it's at best a hunch and at worst an assumption.
The NRC is the trial of a national domestic comp: it does not appear to me that it has been successful in recruiting fans on TV or at the ground.
Therefore such evidence as there is does not suggest a domestic pro comp will arrest declining interest in the game.
If we detach from NZ and, to a much lesser extent, SA we risk becoming an anachronistic backwater - the North Korea of rugby without any missiles.
We have to suck it up in the short term, rebuild the base - leaving the private schools to do their thing - and leverage off the comparative popularity of the city grade club comps.
These comps and their better resourced successors are the only viable way to provide hard week in week out competition by which to sort the players.
I was a fan of the NRC initially but I have come to realise that it's substantial mirroring of the NPC cannot work here because of the size of the country and the lack of strong rugby provinces densely populated with rugby players and fans.
Other codes proved you wrong that national footprint won't work.

There are variety of reasons why the nrc has started with a small but growing base of fan support. Big call to say that people don't want a national domestic competition as not what I am seeing in terms of general vibe.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Other codes proved you wrong that national footprint won't work.

There are variety of reasons why the nrc has started with a small but growing base of fan support. Big call to say that people don't want a national domestic competition as not what I am seeing in terms of general vibe.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

My central point was

[posters think] the uninitiated public would be more likely to watch an essentially domestic comp

That is not the same as "people don't want a national" comp.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think you must have missed pretty much every game. I enjoy club Rugby but the standard in the NRC is higher. As for the 90%. That comes from the player survey conducted after last years competition.

Maybe - after making an effort in the first year, and going to games. Last year my viewing was incidental.
Just hasn't captured my imagination.
In the first year I posted that there was an argument it was of a higher standard than NPC. for whatever reason I didnt see that in what I watched last year.
Is there any evidence its converting anyone to the game? Some of the experimental rules are conducive to doing so.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Maybe - after making an effort in the first year, and going to games. Last year my viewing was incidental.
Just hasn't captured my imagination.
In the first year I posted that there was an argument it was of a higher standard than NPC. for whatever reason I didnt see that in what I watched last year.
Is there any evidence its converting anyone to the game? Some of the experimental rules are conducive to doing so.

Then you've been missing out of some bloody good footy. As for an audience both crowds (10%) and viewership (23% per game) grew last season. It still has a long way to go but there is solid growth in the concept.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Then you've been missing out of some bloody good footy. As for an audience both crowds (10%) and viewership (23% per game) grew last season. It still has a long way to go but there is solid growth in the concept.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
After all the negativity around super rugby this year I am really looking forward to the NRC. After watching the three Fiji tests I am also really excited about what the Fijian side brings, and as a point of difference it needs to be well marketed - it should make for some entertaining viewing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk