• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC onwards and upwards

N

NTT

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...p/news-story/56ec60b8d22613414b60523429a6cd12

Its great that the publicity of the NRC is starting to become more positive. Every piece of news i read concerning rugby union in Australia has been mainly from negative view points. Its high time that what is great about rugby is reported upon. I would have to assume that there are potential rugby families being turned off rugby by the barrage of negative press this year. Fox Sports has a lot to answer for in this regard. Their current experts, and i use the term very lightly, spend 80% of their time bagging everything rugby. Participating numbers are apparently declining, could the incessant negative opinion of the games stakeholders be to blame. I think so. Every watches TV and it does influence the audiences.
The game has never had a better structured pathway. The Wallabies are one of the top 3 nations playing rugby in the world. Rugby is an amazing gateway to worldwide travel opportunities. Rugby is also the most inclusive sport in the world. All shapes and sizes can play and enjoy it.
The thing is though these crucial points are being mired in constant negative rhetoric, whether it be ex NSW hookers berating officials over the broadcast of an exciting test match, ex Qld fullbacks tearing shreds off his former province or a cheeky SMH journo trying to spread enough rumour to kill off a franchise.
The key message of how great a game rugby is must come back to the forefront of the media. The current reporting is consigning our great game to death by a thousand cuts.

Rant over.

T

Train Without a Station

NTT what?

Just because a certain Sydney based journo continues to throw out rumors about the Force in her articles, supporting those rumors to previous articles published by HER making rumors about the Force and seemingly at no point ever supporting her claims with anything said by anybody other than herself, that doesn't mean she's just spreading unsupported rumors...

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
All sporting media has its negative side - Chris Rattue for example in NZ. There's a lot of negative people out there and they'll look for the journos matching their outlook.

What's apparent is the rugby people in Aus are WAY more negative than other sports. I don't know if the people are following the media, or the media is following the people, but it's definitely the case.

The reality is, rugby in Aus is neither anywhere near as bad or as good as it could be.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
NTT what?

Just because a certain Sydney based journo continues to throw out rumors about the Force in her articles, supporting those rumors to previous articles published by HER making rumors about the Force and seemingly at no point ever supporting her claims with anything said by anybody other than herself, that doesn't mean she's just spreading unsupported rumors.

This certain journo is worse than Spiro, the most negative rugby people going around

N

NTT

NTT what?

Just because a certain Sydney based journo continues to throw out rumors about the Force in her articles, supporting those rumors to previous articles published by HER making rumors about the Force and seemingly at no point ever supporting her claims with anything said by anybody other than herself, that doesn't mean she's just spreading unsupported rumors.

Youve lost me mate. If she is spreading speculation and rumour without a quotable source then that is the very definition of spreading unsupported rumour.
Anyways, i never said the point of her rumours were to kill off the Force, i said there are enough negative rumours being spread and reported on to try and kill a franchise. You linked my comments to your assumption i was talking about the Force. This is incorrect.
My point is this, rugby can definitely use more positive publicity from the media outlets. Currently rugby is being torn to shreds through the current reporting landscapes, be it SMH, the roar, Daily telegraph or countless other news outlets and blogging forums and i think for rugby to get out from the shadows of the other 3 football codes, we should demand and expect a more supportive and positive position from the media outlets making money from reporting on our great game.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hmmm. Something's happening.

Former Wallaby big names are talking up the NRC.

653325e79797eb0f59891f6191caf246.jpg

ffb1668cdd0243b759ea7fec17d40a27.jpg

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hmmm. Something's happening.

Former Wallaby big names are talking up the NRC.

653325e79797eb0f59891f6191caf246.jpg

ffb1668cdd0243b759ea7fec17d40a27.jpg

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/world-cupwinning-coach-bob-dwyer-impressed-by-australias-national-rugby-championship/news-story/56ec60b8d22613414b60523429a6cd12

Its great that the publicity of the NRC is starting to become more positive. Every piece of news i read concerning rugby union in Australia has been mainly from negative view points. Its high time that what is great about rugby is reported upon. I would have to assume that there are potential rugby families being turned off rugby by the barrage of negative press this year. Fox Sports has a lot to answer for in this regard. Their current experts, and i use the term very lightly, spend 80% of their time bagging everything rugby. Participating numbers are apparently declining, could the incessant negative opinion of the games stakeholders be to blame. I think so. Every watches TV and it does influence the audiences.

The game has never had a better structured pathway. The Wallabies are one of the top 3 nations playing rugby in the world. Rugby is an amazing gateway to worldwide travel opportunities. Rugby is also the most inclusive sport in the world. All shapes and sizes can play and enjoy it.

The thing is though these crucial points are being mired in constant negative rhetoric, whether it be ex NSW hookers berating officials over the broadcast of an exciting test match, ex Qld fullbacks tearing shreds off his former province or a cheeky SMH journo trying to spread enough rumour to kill off a franchise.

The key message of how great a game rugby is must come back to the forefront of the media. The current reporting is consigning our great game to death by a thousand cuts.

Rant over.

On Bob Dwyers comments about the NRC - I think most would agree that the product best this year of the 3 years been in existence.
Certainly enjoying the games this season.

Things like more sides having consistent home bases, consistent team selections and removal of Stars (to enable NSW sides to be more competitive), and now Foxsports televising 2 games over the weekend (most probably like me won't do the streaming thing as prefer on the big screen).

Also good to see things like:
1. Daily telegraph putting a few stories on NRC
2. Cheika publicly endorsing NRC as a showcase for Wallaby Selection as per media quote this week and also by actions e.g. selecting Latu based on form for NSW Country
3. Some tweets of support for the NRC by former /current Wallabies.

Going to take a bit to grow the NRC but hopefully getting more solid platform to grow this next year via addition of Fiji team. I can't see us adding any oz sides for many years but can see adding teams from Pacific Island Countries if World Rugby comes to the party and funds them to participate and this would be great win win for PI nations as well as NRC and rugby for oz. I really hope we see a Fiji team in NRC next year and will even accept having the dreaded bye to see it happen.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
On Bob Dwyers comments about the NRC - I think most would agree that the product best this year of the 3 years been in existence.
Certainly enjoying the games this season.

Things like more sides having consistent home bases, consistent team selections and removal of Stars (to enable NSW sides to be more competitive), and now Foxsports televising 2 games over the weekend (most probably like me won't do the streaming thing as prefer on the big screen).

Also good to see things like:
1. Daily telegraph putting a few stories on NRC
2. Cheika publicly endorsing NRC as a showcase for Wallaby Selection as per media quote this week and also by actions e.g. selecting Latu based on form for NSW Country
3. Some tweets of support for the NRC by former /current Wallabies.

Going to take a bit to grow the NRC but hopefully getting more solid platform to grow this next year via addition of Fiji team. I can't see us adding any oz sides for many years but can see adding teams from Pacific Island Countries if World Rugby comes to the party and funds them to participate and this would be great win win for PI nations as well as NRC and rugby for oz. I really hope we see a Fiji team in NRC next year and will even accept having the dreaded bye to see it happen.

Mate, get yourself a Chromecast. Then you can watch the streamed games on your TV. Just $59 from JB or Officeworks. Download the Cromecast app via the Chrome.Store and bang you're set.

Good to see the sudden jump in publicity for the NRC. Hopefully it translates in more eyeballs both at the grounds and on the TV.

As for entering a Fijian squad. Hopefully it happens and proves successful. I agree it's unlikely we'll see any growth in teams domestically for some time. If the Fijian squad enters and is successful hopefully World Rugby can be convinced to come to the party with at least one more PI squad in the future.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Mate, get yourself a Chromecast. Then you can watch the streamed games on your TV. Just $59 from JB or Officeworks. Download the Cromecast app via the Chrome.Store and bang you're set.

Or, alternatively, if your laptop/pc has an HDMI outlet and your tv has an HDMI input, just connect via cable. Actually works better than Chromecast which I used to use.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Or, alternatively, if your laptop/pc has an HDMI outlet and your tv has an HDMI input, just connect via cable. Actually works better than Chromecast which I used to use.
Superior than Screen Mirroring.

Anything with Native Chromecast Support works better for me though.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Superior than Screen Mirroring.

Anything with Native Chromecast Support works better for me though.
So we need to do more marketing of nrc when there is limited dollars to do so.

Ok suggestions -
1. If next year get Fiji team involved and new foxsports deal ring fence some of that money for marketing.
2. wallabies are paid employees so get some of those employees to do tweets about nrc games and encourage them to do so. Get cheika to also do the odd tweet. Get Super Rugby coaches to do the odd tweet. Make it a conversation.
3. Wallabies are paid employees so have the high profile ones attend one nrc game as a marketing tool and market their attendance accordingly.
4. Offer schools near games free tickets to nrc games - ok already free for them but my point is could you make them aware of that. Again could a high profile Super Rugby player visit the schools in the area before a game with some support to have flyers sent out for the game. Yeh I know not quite the idea formed here but brainstorming.
5. ?
6. ?
7. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
EVERY junior club in an NRC's catchment area should have free entry for players wearing their club jumper/gear + $5/10 entry for accompanying adults. Field sprints for juniors at half-time, or some other appropriate activity. All it'd take is a coupla emails to the relevant junior club secretaries.

Lindommer's invoice winging its way to NRC HQ. ;)

T

TOCC

There won't be a new deal with Foxsports, the current one will remain extant for the next 4 years

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Eagles 23
Rays 18
Rising 15
Vikings 14
Spirit 13
Rams 7
City 5
Country 2

Round 6
Country v Eagles
Rays v Vikings
Rising v Rams
Spirit v City

Round 7
Rams v Eagles
Vikings v Spirit
Rising v Rays
City v Country

First is more or less set, with Eagles to play the Rams and Country.

2-5 all in tight contests for 2nd and 3rd/4th though. Could all hinge on Rising v Rays down in Frankston, or could be decided next week.

Either way, Rays v Vikings will be a cracker of a TV game for next Saturday.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Would have to be new deal if new team added would it not?

Possibly not. It's just a deal that sells the rights to show the games, thereby helping to fund the comp.

I don't think cutting the teams from 9 to 8 reset anything much, deal-wise. Going back to 9 might not either.

Presumably WR (World Rugby) are going to bring the readies to cover the Fiji team and additional logistics (travel and whatnot).

Cyril Towers (30)
I've been to a few games this year. The game in Tamworth (both this year and last) was very well supported by the local community, got lots of press in the local media and, I understand, the players really enjoyed it. There were locally bred players involved in the game which added interest. I had a number of "casual" rugby watchers making very positive comments after watching the game. It is great attacking rugby. Games in regional centres should definitely be used more. They promote the game, the local clubs get a cash boost and the crowds are bigger.
I also went to the double header at Concord yesterday. Once again great rugby on display. This day was made special by being combined with a Pacific Islands Rugby festival with several lead up games involving PI teams and a large and vocal crowd of their supporters. It was a fantastic carnival atmosphere. This double header came about by accident, but was such a success that the organisers should consider them more often. Especially if they are combined with another rugby activity (e.g. some 7s games or womens rugby games or the PI games again) it is a great day out.
The quality of the rugby is brilliant.
We need to get this competition the support it deserves.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Reckon we need a Carnival of rugby Weekend in Sydney.

3 Games in a row in the same venue, with 7s games between matches.

Have the Queensland Derby on the Friday night, or Sunday Afternoon.

T

TOCC

Reckon we need a Carnival of rugby Weekend in Sydney.

3 Games in a row in the same venue, with 7s games between matches.

Have the Queensland Derby on the Friday night, or Sunday Afternoon.

Think it may have been in the ideas thread, but back when there were 4 NSW teams i wanted to see a 'Sydney Derby around' with all 4 NSW teams playing at a ground like Concord.. 3 games back to back might be a bit much, but 2 games is certainly worthwhile and a similar round could be held at Vallymore with the Queensland teams playing back to back