• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Rnd 5: QUEENSLAND COUNTRY V MELBOURNE RISING

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
SATURDAY 30 SEPTEMBER AT BOND UNIVERSITY (GOLD COAST). KICK-OFF 3:00PM (LOCAL TIME)

QUEENSLAND COUNTRY:

1 Sef Fa’agase, 2 Alex Casey, 3, Taniela Tupou 4 Angus Blyth, 5 Harry Hockings, 6 Angus Scott-Young, 7 Liam Wright, 8 Caleb Timu, 9 James Tuttle, 10 Hamish Stewart, 11 Eto Nabuli, 12 Duncan Paia’aua [c], 13 Chris Feauai-Sautia, 14 Filipo Daugunu, 15 Patrick James

16, Richie Asiata 17 Alex Mafi, 18 Fred Burke, 19, Rob Puli’uvea 20 Tai Ford, 21 Tate McDermott, 22 Teti Tela, 23 Veresa Mataitini

MELBOURNE RISING:

1 Rory O’Connor, 2. Siliva Siliva, 3. Fereti Sa’aga, 4. Steve Cummins [c], 5. Emmanuel Latu-Meafou, 6.Jason Havea, 7. Ikapote Tapai, 8. Rob Leota, 9. Harrison Goddard, 10. Jack McGregor, 11. Semisi Tupou, 12. Sione Tuipulotu, 13. Hunter Paisami, 14. Kitione Ratu, 15. Jack Maddocks

16. Cameron Mapusua, 17. Tom Moloney, 18. Pone Fa’amausili, 19. Sione Taufa, 20. Lloyd Johansson, 21. Maradona Farao, 22. Mahe Vailanu, 23. Henry Hutchison

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Every week we comment on it, but it's such a ridiculously young side the Rising are putting out each week. Lloyd the only one over 30 (potentially the only one over 26, I'm not hyper aware of the club boys ages, and a huge number are in that 18-23 year old group.

Another quality challenge for them, and the first obvious chance to stake a claim in front of Wessells, particularly for those blokes likely to be in hotly contested positions like Tuipulotu, Maddocks and Leota.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
As will Tuipolotu v DP and CFS. If the Rising backs can get parity in the midfield, then Tupou and Ratu will carry the day.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Whose idea was it to have the Melbourne team play on the AFL Grand Final Day and at roughly the same time?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Every week we comment on it, but it's such a ridiculously young side the Rising are putting out each week. Lloyd the only one over 30 (potentially the only one over 26, I'm not hyper aware of the club boys ages, and a huge number are in that 18-23 year old group.

It's a pretty young QLD Country side as well, 5 of them from the starting team played U20s this year

T

TOCC

Some staunch defence from Q Country, thought those yellows were a bit BS though..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fo!!ower

Chris McKivat (8)
Another try for Country and with only 13 men on the field. 21-0 now.

I have to say, this team looks well coached. I realise this Rising team is pretty green but still, Country have played well week in, week out.

Don't want to get ahead of myself but if Thorn can get the Reds humming like this it bodes well for Super Rugby 2018.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

fo!!ower

Chris McKivat (8)
Make that 28-0 as Stewart goes over after Timu offloads basketball style close to the line.

Can't wait to see Timu in Red next year. His leg drive in contact is relentless.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Qld country incredibly impressive and justifying in spades change in coaches for the reds...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fo!!ower

Chris McKivat (8)
Country finished with a wet sail, out to 54-5 before Rising nabbed a consolation score after the final siren to finish 54-12.

Another impressive performance from Thorn's Country men, definitely title contenders this season.

Duncan Paia'aua was my MOTM, he scored 3 tries (for the second match in a row), was brutally effective in defence, played the second playmaker role brilliantly, and led his team from the front.

Special mentions to:-

- Tuttle: kicked 100% from the tee, created a lot of opportunities for the players around him and tackled like a madman.
- Country forward pack: strong scrums, brutal clean-outs, effective line-outs, huge carries. Set the platform for the backs to cash in, which they did.

All on all, a great game to watch for Country fans.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Country finished with a wet sail, out to 54-5 before Rising nabbed a consolation score after the final siren to finish 54-12.

Another impressive performance from Thorn's Country men, definitely title contenders this season.

Duncan Paia'aua was my MOTM, he scored 3 tries (for the second match in a row), was brutally effective in defence, played the second playmaker role brilliantly, and led his team from the front.

Special mentions to:-

- Tuttle: kicked 100% from the tee, created a lot of opportunities for the players around him and tackled like a madman.
- Country forward pack: strong scrums, brutal clean-outs, effective line-outs, huge carries. Set the platform for the backs to cash in, which they did.

All on all, a great game to watch for Country fans.

Wonder if qld country lifted another notch with thorns appointment as reds coach? Now auditioning for their future boss?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Duncan only scored 1 try. The winger, Filipo Daugunu scored 3 (after scoring 2 last week)

fo!!ower

Chris McKivat (8)
Duncan only scored 1 try. The winger, Filipo Daugunu scored 3 (after scoring 2 last week)
Whoops, you're correct Reg, not sure why I thought Duncan got three. Impressive stuff from Daugunu.

T

TOCC

Glad Duncan's getting some tackling practice, his defence was pretty average at certain points during 2017.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Glad Duncan's getting some tackling practice, his defence was pretty average at certain points during 2017.

Qld Country's defence on the whole is impressive. Their tackles are forcefull and I reckon thet hurt. Duncan has been an important part of that.

T

TOCC

Only just watched the remainder of the 2nd half, and some really pleasing things.

Hamish Stewart is developing nicely, he has a wide pass I hadn’t seen previously, takes the line on well and has a nice textbook bootlace style of tackling.

Timu is developing into the backrower I hoped he would, plays similar to Hendrik Tui, a role I expect he will fill in 2018.

As mentioned above Tuttle is cementing his role as first choice halfback for the Reds.

I also like the look of Patrick James, he isn’t getting the tries the rest of his teammates are, but he is a solid, no nonsense fullback who doesn’t miss tackles and positions himself well on kick returns. When both QCountry wingers were sin binned, he covered the back 3 all by himself.

Filipo Daugunu looks like a better wing option for the Reds then Nabuli.

Taniela Tupous scrummaging is pretty consistent and gets the benefit over his opposition more often then not, and his play around the park is top quality for s prop.

Edit: and the two young locks but specifically Blyth.. you can see why the Reds signed him up for 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.