• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Rich e, you make a good point ... and you have a good 10 in Savala, and think he will be more confident in 2018

Still joeys always puts together a good forward pack, that is a given

Star Backs however win premierships in my estimation... why I am tipping kings to win the comp this year, particularly if billy smith is gone for the year?

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Heard a rumour N V S u16as is being held on postage stamp ground next to main....not on main?...surely not!

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
I keep waiting for the joeys dominance to re-assert itself

I know they continue to dominate virtually everything outside of the 1st xv

...waiting for a return to "normal programming"

It isn't just scots regularly beating joeys now

And not used to seeing joeys on bottom of the table

I keep wondering if joeys are picking too many youngsters

A kid in year 10 or 11 might be faster, more agile, more athletic. but if you send out a team full of baby faced stars and with not enough year 12 hard heads, you run the risk of being outmuscled

Might be different if the game ran 20 minutes longer . like it seemed to back in the day

Anyway what do I know . maybe it is the fact that the number of country boys in joeys is way down, has impacted

Anyway I can definitely see joeys being favourites in 2018. unless kings brings up the kid in the 14As

SDW,

That's a bit tough - yes bottom of the table but Joeys have played 2 of the favourites in the first 2 games and lost both only by a few points. 3 intercepts over the games (not the reason we lost but did play a part in both) was unfortunate although I must admit we weren't on our game against Scots - too much dropped ball and couldn't win a line out.

You can't give class sides gifts like these or you will invariably end up on the wrong side of the ledger. Regardless Kings & Scots deserved to win but we aren't that far off. We win the Kings game and the comp is wide open.

I know Kings believe it was the toughest game they have played this year & a couple of options at the end cost us dearly. We must be there or thereabouts somewhere. I believe that after all the changes that were made from Round 1 it showed there must be some real talent there - basically the back line was turned upside down but went well with their limited opportunities. I'm hoping we play a more expansive rugby game in the final 3 rounds like we did in years gone by much like the Randwick days.

As for the younger players, it hasn't seemed to hurt other GPS sides and if you're good enough so be it. We have lacked experience in the Opens once they finally got there in the past so this will reap benefits over the next few years.

As for next year - yes we will be very strong. However, Kings have an amazing younger brigade coming through & Scots also. Newington & Riverview should not be underestimated either. It will be close and will come down to who wants it the most.

Oh if only for the 2 rounds to come back!!!!!

Props rule

Frank Nicholson (4)
Joeys will be very strong over the next 2 years. With 5 year 10's running around in opens (1sts or 2nds) and some of the stronger first xv cohort in year 11 + a big talent pool in the 16's the next 2 years looks very good.

With the 5 younger boys out the 16a's still drew with Scots this year (which included Joe Brial who is a great player). There is also some serious depth running around in the 16s with Tom Hannon making the NSW second xv from the joeys 16b's and the 10 being the halfback for the easts side that won the state champs.

Joeys has been dominate in younger age groups across this group so will be interesting to see what happens next year (given this year is already over - not a fan of the 1 round comp).

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Fair enough SBW.

Joey's will have an awesome backline in 2018. For example, the year 10 lads who have played 1st for Joeys this year have been really impressive.

But i am expecting Scots will have a very dominant forward pack with Williams (4), Wellington (6), Robson (7) and Harris (8) from this year's 1st XV all back next year.

BTW 4, 6 and 8 are all benefiting IMO from playing 1sts or 2nds last year, in year 10.

Add Nathan Zylstra (2) from 2nds and 2016 NSW u16s, Daniel Botha (1) 2017 16As and NSW u16s and Joe Brial (8) 2017 16As and NSW u16s, and you have the makings of a very good pack of forwards.

Anyway, enough about next year.

Still 3 awesome rounds remaining..

Update.

Zylstra is now playing 1 in Scots 1sts this Saturday.

Means 5 of the 8 forwards to take on New this Saturday are in year 11.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Green and Gold GPS match reports - photos requied

Going to a 1st XV game tomorrow, with a decent camera?

Would be great if you could take some photos for including in the Green and Gold match reports.

If you think you can help out, let me know here (or send me a private convo) and I can let you know the photo requirements so that the pics can be published.

Rich

Sparkle Motion

Peter Burge (5)
Makes sense. The main oval should be for the opens teams.

Also a very big day at New with "Back to Newington" day on. Should be a great atmosphere if you're in the inner west.

Lots of stalls, and food put on by various support groups. My advice - head to the "Taste of Tonga" food stall, the food has been brilliant in the past and a great group of parents/supporters running it.

New by 1 in a cliffhanger :)

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
Kings over View by 20-30
Scots over New by 25-50
Joeys over Shore by 35-50
Margins could blow out this weekend.
Is Kings or Scots going to put their opposition to the sword??? Whichever team does is the front runner in my view because it shows killer attitude. Maybe they both will which indicates a great game between the two teams the following week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Tips for this weekend

A glorious sunny afternoon to watch schoolboy Rugby!

Kings over View by 30. View outgunned in the forwards. Entertaining matchups in the backs to watch. Minogue(K) V Easy (I) + Poolman (K) V Bell (I)

Scots over New by 25. Its back to New day that hopefully will shrink the margin. My tip is with the shrunk margin..... :) Could get ugly for New

Joeys over Shore by a lot. Joeys will be looking to "right the ship" following 2 narrow losses to the competition forerunners. Shore wont give up but I don't expect Joeys to back off for 70 minutes.

Joeys playing for pride and positions for the last 2 rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.